Forums Latest Members

Polished watches. Good or bad?

1. cvrle1 Aug 12, 2016

Wasnt sure were to post this topic as it can pertain to modern and vintage watches. Pretty straight forward question in terms of polished watches. Good thing or bad? If not, why?

Found one seller that has a bunch of watches of all makes, and every single one of them is polished. Easily over 100 watches for sure. Some were vintage and some modern. Seller makes it look like a good thing (of course they will), but I saw that some people dont like idea of polished watches.

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 12, 2016

I think it depends on the watch. Some watch cases had highly polished finished. Not many, but a few. For these, a "bling" polish is perfectly normal.

Most cases had a combination of matte and polished finishes from the factory.

When one removes all the original finishes, it's kind of obvious.

Like this:

[​IMG]
    gatorcpa

Holma20 likes this.
  3. Euxinus Aug 12, 2016

Generally polishing is not a good thing. The reason why is that as you polish the watch the original edges of the case will get rounded off, and this changes the shape of the case. This detracts from the value from a collectors point or view. Also as gatorcpa pointed out, some watches come with a mixture of brushed / matte and polished surfaces all on one case, this if you polish it you will rid these features.

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 12, 2016

I tend to disagree.
    Anyone can take a Capecod cloth to a watch and make it look clean and sparkly, which is what the seller you refer to is doing.
    Anyone here that follows speedmasters on e-bay knows who you are referring to.
    On the other hand, a skilled watchmaker with the right equipment can make a beat up case look as close to original without losing the sharp edges and different finishes that it left the factory with.
    I believe Al is rather good at it.

5. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 12, 2016

Removing metal, like any polishing involves will remove the watch from its original shape and dimensions.
    Those that are good at it will be able to do it gently, and preserve the various features of the original. However once done you can not undo it.
    From a collectors perspective it will, IMHO, almost always be negative for its desirability, and as a result the value of the watch, if polished.
    On the other hand if you are a user, and not a collector, I fully understand why people do this from time to time.
    Just don't expect it to add value if you ever try to sell it off to a collector.

cvrle1 and Euxinus like this.
  6. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Aug 12, 2016

Having a polished (refinished) watch is typically a bad thing for the value of the watch. That being said if the case is really really beat then I personally think that a sympathetic polish would be acceptable for the watch and not hurt the value very much so long as the case shape, edges and bevels are not distorted dramatically. Many many watches especially gold watches have been polished over the years.

7. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 12, 2016

Originality is always paramount. That's all you need to know.

Do nicer (non-factory) replaced hands increase value? Is it original?
    Does a beautiful redial increase the value of a tired dial? Is it original?
    Have missing parts of the mechanism been expertly manufactured by a watchmaker? Are they original?
    Has the scratched case been refinished by a watchmaker? Is it original?

The answer is no! There will be exceptions, but only in extreme cases.

You can't ever go back.

Northernman and cvrle1 like this.