Forums Latest Members

Polished vs unpolished bezel

1. Eve Aug 20, 2018

Hallo guys,

i am trying to learn how would one spot a refinished watch while purchaseing the item online.
    For my quest, i was trying to find proper fotos with high resolution from the "Watches for Sale" Thread,
    since those have mostly close up fotos, and often a description if the watch was serviced or not.

I am aware, that there are different bezels for different models, so for now i restricted my search to one particular model Seamaster Ref. 2254.50.

I am not talking about those "shiny" obviously overpolished, or overbrushed ones but rather bezels that do indicate sharp edges.
    For example this one is clear (currently sold on ebay):
    [​IMG]

But then things get more difficult...
    This one was sold as "unpolished":
    [​IMG]
    this one has a much wider edge and not so deep curves:
    [​IMG]
    This one has a very sharp outer edge:
    [​IMG]
    All of them indicate sharp edges, but they do infact look slightly different.

These edges look not too sharp, but the space from the edge to the black insert is relatively big,
    [​IMG]
    compared to this sharp but rather thin edge, almost no space to the black insert:
    [​IMG]

Is it possible that these are just the manufacturing tolerances? is it partially a normal wear of the edges with time? or is it a really well made refinishing of the bezel?

Again, i am not trying to bust some particular item sold here, i am just trying to learn if it is possible to figure out those things from fotos?

could you please share some of your experience! thank you!

P.S. i hope im am not breaking the forum policy since i am using parts of fotos i found here on forum; if so, i will delete the thread.

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 20, 2018

The high points on the bezels for SMPs vary in size and shape so shouldn't be used as absolute proof of polishing or otherwise. The first watch you show looks awful, the others look pretty good to me with matt finish and sharp edges to the scalloping, this is what you should look for. Polishing isn't a dirty word if done right by Omega or someone talented but poor polishing is to be avoided. I am not sure Omega themselves do much to the bezel when polishing a watch, they tend to either ignore it or if you pay, replace it.

Eve likes this.
  3. Eve Aug 21, 2018

Ok, i understand! Thank you!