Forums Latest Members

Policy Question: Alerting OF Members To Bad Dealers

1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 7, 2017

Dear Moderators,

UG forum been helping a new member who purchased a blatant redial from an online dealer who from their inventory and "about us" clearly should know better. Their response is within their terms but they are clearly violating their "authenticity guarantee". Yes the new member should have done some more due diligence but this dealer IMO deserves to be called out for their business practices.

What is the actual policy regarding "Name and Shame" on this forum? I tried different searches and came up empty.

Thanks

GuiltyBoomerang and davten like this.
  2. Zuke Aug 7, 2017

I don't know about OF policy on this, but here is my thought. How is the dealer handling the situation now? If he's allowing the buyer to return the watch or if they can come to new terms than all is good. If they are being difficult about it then I would definitely put them blast.

3. ICONO Aug 7, 2017

Invite the 'Dealer' to present their side, of the dispute,… in public…on the Forum

Daylight, transparency, & objectiveness, are the best way to cauterise a perceived problem

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 7, 2017

The latter ... not cooperating.

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 7, 2017

There is no objective defense of the dealer. The watch is a horrible redial.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 7, 2017

In light off a recent lawsuit I'd be very careful posting anything that cannot be verified.

kov and Jwit like this.
  7. ICONO Aug 7, 2017

Before one 'names & shames' anyone …you need to take responsibility for the allegation, & satisfy the threshold of proof, by demonstrating why / how the watch is a redial

8. gop76 Aug 7, 2017

Maganator, Larry S and Northernman like this.
  9. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 7, 2017

Would you care to update a "summer drop out" on this?
    I obviously have missed it.

10. Traveler Aug 7, 2017

Definitely no demonstration needed on this one - there can be no doubt.... it's (sorry UG OP) horrible

11. ICONO Aug 7, 2017

12. WatchVaultNYC Aug 7, 2017

Care to expound on "Their response is within their terms but they are clearly violating their "authenticity guarantee""? What are the terms? What is the guarantee, and how did they violate it?

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 7, 2017

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 7, 2017

See Post your UG's ... link above.

15. WatchVaultNYC Aug 7, 2017

I've had a buyer who asked me exactly this - "if I find out that there is something not authentic with the watch after a year, can I send it back?"

My response was: "after a year, I will have no idea what you did to the watch you bought from me. If you have any concerns about authenticity, spend the time to have the watch authenticated during the return period"

IMHO this is the only way to practically implement an authenticity guarantee. You can't offer it "for forever" as watches do not remain static over time. And you have limited ability to know what happens to a watch you sell after a buyer takes possession.

That said, I've accepted watches way past the return date for much smaller reasons - especially returns politely requested. But those have always been offered as a courtesy, its not a right or entitlement per the terms of sale.

That said, I do mostly modern, so the vagaries of vintage are mostly not a concern.

For the OP, my opinion is "tough luck". Terms are terms. But I would appeal to the seller to accept the return as keeping a cordial relationship with the buying public is "good business".

Finally, if it were me, I'd turn the issue on it's head and accept the return. Then turn around and spin it as accepting back a big ticket watch way, way, way after the return period, because we "take care of our clients" and "you know how these things are with vintage". I'd probably end up ahead in good will vs any profit I would have gotten from that sale

MaiLollo, Northernman and propervinyl like this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 7, 2017

The culprit is already named and shamed on UG Forum. I'm interested in guidance from moderators on what is acceptable in their eyes.

propervinyl likes this.
  17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 7, 2017

Seller profile subforum maybe? Good, Bad, and Ugly.

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 7, 2017

I read through the UG forum post and did on see anything that I had a problem with.

Bumper, Larry S and Jwit like this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 7, 2017

Pretty sure you can give dealers feedback here ( I have in the past I think )

https://omegaforums.net/forums/watch-seller-profiles/

Plenty of dealers waiting for buyers new to the game or not doing their homework. :whistling:
    Won't be the first or last we see someone new here that's paid a lot of money for a redial.

Jwit and Larry S like this.
  20. propervinyl Aug 7, 2017

One of the reasons I am grateful to be part of this community. You guys are great.