Forums Latest Members

Policy on outing live auction?

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 12, 2016

Greetings everyone,
    as a newbie member here I'm wondering what is the etiquette /policy on outing live sales?
    There are forums where it is considered bad form to out a live sale, especially an auction, when others who know what they're doing might be trying to get a quiet deal.
    However, items which are priced too high for anyone to get a deal are fair game.

I'm asking because there's an auction going on right now which is intriguing me, to me the item looks like it could be a redial and I'm wondering how it could have reached its current price.... but of course I can wait until it's over.

Also, I was wondering about those "recommended Ebay items" threads... If I were coveting something and thinking about it hoping no one notices or buys it during that time, frankly I would hate to see it outed by someone who doesn't even care to buy it for themselves.

Apologies if this has already been discussed at length, grateful if someone could point to the threads.
    Best regards,
    S

nickw likes this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 12, 2016

Auctions are often "outed" here while still underway. Some under the auspices of pointing members to a good watch, some to caution against a bad one, still others to ask opinions.

I am ambivalent toward the practice.

3. wsfarrell Feb 12, 2016

IMO this forum made a wise decision to allow linking to/discussion of any watch for sale in any venue anywhere. You can obviously choose to keep an eBay auction to yourself, but if it's an interesting Omega, it's likely to pop up here anyway.

4. redpcar Feb 12, 2016

I can't speak for anyone else but I consider it like being at a bar with a buddy and he tells me he would like to ask a certain lady to dance or ask her out. She is officially OFF LIMITS for me in order to let him work his magic.
    Best to ask the forum before you make a mistake especially if you are new to the game.

efauser and SpikiSpikester like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 12, 2016

OF private sales forum - PM or another thread only in my view never in the for sale thread like PatrickJ used to do often ::rant:

EBay - in a thread here usually recommend eBay items if there is one for that brand

The times over the years when you get someone showing pictures only to not out a eBay sale and there is already 2 threads dedicated to said watch is surprising.

You can not hide a EBay listing now days as someone here has seen it 9 times out of 10

If you want to question a suspected redial in a auction even though it's linked here that's OK in my mind. Just like the Zenith post at the moment it's ok to question. Back up info to your questions is always respected more than a simple accusation of a redial.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 12, 2016

You are basically free to out what you want unless you are doing it in a way to advertise your own auction only.
    However if you have an item for sale in the forum sales section, you are free to mention a simultaneous auction elsewhere for the same item.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 12, 2016

As others have indicated, there is no Ω F crime in alerting fellow members to a potentially nice watch in the "brands" forums (fora), just as it's a public service to out a fake or a terrible redial.

One would be naive to imagine that the hunters hadn't already spied their prey.

There may also be a "gentleman's rule" that you don't bid on something that another person has unearthed.

I was the beneficiary of such an item spied by @ulackfocus and which became the obvious interest of another member here.
    I contacted him (now sadly gone) via PM and after discussion we came to an agreement that he would pass on the item.

I was very pleased with the outcome, as I think Dennis and Mike were.

Every time I wear this watch, I remember Mike and his gracious gesture.

WittApril15.JPG

ahartfie and M.D. like this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 12, 2016

Thanks gents, glad to hear about this gentleman's rule which seems only fair....

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 12, 2016

no such thing as under the radar in OF.
    We see everything.
    Everything !

ahartfie, Traveler, STANDY and 4 others like this.
  10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 12, 2016

Be warned, the gentleman's agreement may hold among members here, but it is a publicly accessible forum that anyone can read...

It's like warfare out there for good pieces for good prices!

marturx likes this.
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 12, 2016

Maybe everything Omega because it's such a famous brand just about anyone out there will think to mention it... but there can be misidentified watches which are not Omega -- and which can stay relatively under the radar.

12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 12, 2016

That seems quite obvious which is why I kind of like the courtesy rule of being quiet if you're not a prospective buyer seeking help....

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 12, 2016

I check the blogs. It's how I found a good tri compax recently. I have no problem with outing a bad watch or pointing to a good one. Keep it up!

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 12, 2016

My last four watches acquired, Alpina, Certina, Lemania and a Doxa so never bet on us being only Omega focused. ;)
    Several here have vast Experiance in at least one or two other brands which makes it a great community with a wealth of knowledge..:thumbsup:

15. arkstfan Feb 12, 2016

When I bought my Seamaster I just posted the pics and asked questions and two different people recognized it from ebay :)
    I end up being out-bid but the top bidder ditched the sale. Soon as it popped back up I contacted the seller offering to pay the price from the busted sale and he took it down and sold it to me.