Forums Latest Members
  1. OHS Sep 27, 2018

Hi all,

I have been trying desperately not to be the newbie asking for advice on a purchase but I'm going round & round in circles on this one so I'm afraid I could do with some advice!

I've already got a Uni-Compax (bought here) & think I might be falling for the Universal Geneve brand in general - there's a very nice polerouter jet for sale here at the moment but I'm in the UK & import vat etc just pushes it right out of my current price range so I've found a polerouter super for sale in Europe which as far as I can tell looks pretty sound but I am new to this so could be missing something big time!

To me the dial, crown & case all look fine but I can't find any other examples of this watch with these hands.

These hands look like proper UG hands but I only see them on the older two tone dial style of polerouter not the super which all seem to have the thinner baton hands.

Be great to hear any thoughts on this - I know there are loads of different varieties of polerouter about so it's hard to say what's truly right but I'm worried this is a Franken of some description.

(This was the only photo I could grab for now)

Many thanks in advance & sorry for being "that guy"!

$_12.jpeg
  2. Vitezi Sep 27, 2018

How does your example compare to this one?
    [​IMG]

3. Mazoue Sep 27, 2018

I think it's an 869112/22.

Most examples of that case reference seem to have the thinner hands. I think these hands are UG hands but more commonly seen on the Polerouter Supers with the Genta ring i.e. 869112/01 and 869112/02. I could not say for certain that these were wrong though.

Although a Polerouter Super crown, I think this case reference is more commonly seen with a crown with just a plain U rather than the U in a shield. Again, I could not be certain this it was wrong as both types may have been used on this reference.

I'd like to check that the case reference on the case back was correct and matched the dial i.e. 869112/22.

As I think you already know, the crystal and bracelet are not correct.

4. OHS Sep 27, 2018

Many thanks for sharing this - definitely puts my mind at rest that everything else (crown, basic dial design etc) are correct - those hands still look like thinner batons though but it is close!

5. OHS Sep 27, 2018

Yep thankfully I'm not too worried about the bracelet and replacement crystal is also ok in my book.
    Sadly he doesn't want to open the case so I can't see the refs - it's just been serviced & he's worried it will ruin the guarantee.
    It is becoming clear that identifying UG's makes Omega seem quite simple!

6. Mazoue Sep 27, 2018

The case reference number, if present, will be on the outside of the case back.

7. OHS Sep 27, 2018

Doh!

8. Mazoue Sep 27, 2018

Your wider hands on a 869112/01
    UG-Polerouter-Super-Ref.-869112-01-front-reduced.jpg

Narrower hands and later (I think) crown without shield on a 869112/22
    1_000000004913.jpg 3_000000004913.jpg

Images taken from the web. No credit taken.

9. OHS Sep 27, 2018

Thanks so much for all this info @Mazoue.

The crown definitely seems wrong as I suppose it wouldn't be right to have one type of U on the dial and another on the crown.

So sadly it looks like the crown & hands could well be from a different watch which is a real shame as it's generally in nice condition.

They don't make it easy with so many mixes of styling and logos etc!

Many thanks for all the help & info - very much appreciated!

10. OHS Sep 27, 2018

Oh and I got a case back photo - sadly no ref number :-(

11. OHS Sep 30, 2018

Sorry I know this is a reply to my own thread but I thought this might be interesting/ useful to someone...

So after pondering on the Polerouter Super with hands that were more suited to a Polerouter with a genta ring and a crown with a different style U than on the dial and eventually deciding it must just be a Franken of some sort this watch turned up on eBay....

Screenshot_20180930-175155~2.png Screenshot_20180930-175219~2.png

Another Super (albeit with a black dial) with the older style hands and also the mismatched crown.

Now obviously two wrongs don't make a right and they could both just be frankens (one is in Europe & one is in the States btw) or is it that this is some sort of cross over configuration/ lazy assembly or is that just wishful thinking?

I'm now also starting to think that the hands on the advert @Vitezi shared look more like the thicker, stumpy ones too but maybe I'm going crazy!

The black dialled one is listed as an 869112/24.

Anyway, suppose I'll now spend the rest of my life studying polerouter hands & crown configurations! :)

(Photos grabbed from eBay - no credit taken)

12. Mazoue Sep 30, 2018

I think you may be right; we are expecting complete consistency across references during a period when they might not have left the factory with complete consistency.

However I think it is still true to say that these versions without the Genta ring were more commonly found with the thinner hands and with the plain U crown. It is possible to find exceptions but I could not say whether they let the factory that way.

It's worth noting that the seconds hand is definitely wrong in the example you've posted immediately above.

I think these grey dialled Polerouter Supers are interesting because the dials can age and look very attractive to my eye. The example below sold at auction not that long ago (note the polerouter Sub style crown - there are enough examples to think that this is probably correct but again, I could not be sure).

10756777_fullsize.jpg

13. OHS Sep 30, 2018

I totally agree the standard and truly correct arrangement is the thin hands and other crown without doubt...funny that I'm so focused on the hour/minute hands that I didn't even notice the glaringly obvious wrong second hand on that one though - shows just how easy it is to go watch blind...very dangerous!

But yep we have come to expect complete standardisation in the computerised world (not that we often get it!).

That aged dial above is just amazing - almost like a long exposure photo of the night sky! Beautiful.

Edited Sep 30, 2018
  14. Vitezi Sep 30, 2018

Just be sure to post all of your future findings back here!

OHS likes this.
  15. Vitezi Sep 30, 2018

16. Vitezi Sep 30, 2018

Let's zoom in a bit: Is this a Genta ring? Might be
    upload_2018-9-30_17-4-4.png

17. OHS Sep 30, 2018

I was looking at this advert on the highlife site earlier but didn't notice the word Super on there at all - I'd say that's definitely a Genta ring but it does open up the conversation as far as the supers with and without the ring also sharing the wider hands! The plot thickens :)

18. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 30, 2018

I have a Polerouter Super crown hiding somewhere, so yours is likely correct. Bear in mind these are split stem usually.

20180825_150454.jpg

20180825_150500.jpg

20180825_150734.jpg

valjoux72, OHS and sdre like this.
  19. Mazoue Oct 1, 2018

I don't think there is any debate as to whether the crown type with the shield is correct.

The question is which variants of the Super used this crown, which used the crown with the U without the shield and which, if any, used the Polerouter Sub style crown.

I'm afraid I don't have the answer though. I suspect a more detailed analysis by case reference and serial number would reveal a pattern.

OHS likes this.
  20. OHS Oct 6, 2018

Just thought I'd post here to say that I bought the Super in the end & it's a lovely watch - first day on the wrist today.
    I'm still undecided on the hands/crown but now I've got it here and can check it out through a loupe there is some very similar patination/ ageing on the hour markers and the hands so I'm swaying towards them being original - but again that could just be wishful thinking!

Amusingly the most annoying thing is the wrongly shaped cyclops on the crystal which I originally thought would be fine!

Will keep looking out for further mismatched examples just for reference but in the meantime it's a lovely watch and very nice on the wrist :)

IMG_20181006_100935.jpg