Forums Latest Members

Polerouter Sub Restoration Project

1. clemenry Apr 14, 2015

I thought I would share my recent first generation Polerouter Sub restoration with other UG enthusiasts who will hopefully enjoy the outcome as much as I do.

A few months back I had a reply to my WTB ad (on another forum) for a Polerouter Sub, the watch offered was a first generation Polerouter Sub with the large font that was in need of some TLC, it wasn't currently running and there were a number of issues that needed to be addressed.

I was at the time looking for a complete watch and I wasn't sure whether I wanted to take on a project of this scale but I decided that if I could pull it off it would seem more of an acheivement restoring a watch that had sat idly in someones drawer for years rather than just purchasing a complete watch so I duly purchased it and began my journey.

Unfortunately I am not gifted when it comes to the technical movement side of watches so I posted the watch off to my watchmaker who stripped her down and gave me a list of the movement parts that were required to he her running again.

He located the issue; the canon pinion was seized stuck and thus as a consequence any attempt to change the time with the crown ended up stripping teeth from the minute wheel, they had also managed to use enough force to strip a tooth from the canon pinion! So the search began for a canon pinion and minute wheel for the 1-69 calibre.

There were also the obvious case parts that were required, the original UG crystal had been replaced with an aftermarket replacement and the bezel had seen better days so these were also added to my shopping list.

After begging, borrowing and stealing (although not quite the latter) I managed to source all the parts required and shipped them off to my watchmaker to complete the restoration.

After a full movement service she's running beautifully, It has a nice steady trace and an amplitude in the region of 250/280, there's a bit of positional variation which is only to be expected with a vintage piece but the timekeeping was steady at +7spd during the test period.

Here are the finished results; I must admit the finished article has surpassed my expectations!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My watchmaker wrote a blog on his website detailing the restoration in more detail, it also has a few 'before' photos. http://thewatchbloke.co.uk/2015/04/10/universal-geneve-polerouter-sub/

R

Edited Apr 14, 2015
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 14, 2015

Excellent! Very nice to have the restoration documented but more important...to have that lovely example back in top form.:)

3. lwong Apr 14, 2015

Well done, looks great!

4. HeuerLoon Apr 14, 2015

Good work and congratulations. Mine is awaiting a mini restoration. I will be changing the crystal and bezel for NOS items.

5. clemenry Apr 14, 2015

Thanks for the positive comments guys, I am chuffed with the outcome and the new bezel and original crystal have made a hell of a difference to the appearance.

An original GF bracelet would top it off but I dont think the budget would stretch to that (even if I managed to source one).

6. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 14, 2015

It is a special feeling to have "saved" a neglected watch. I have done it a couple of times and the satisfaction is great.
    Congratulations!