Forums Latest Members
  1. bristnj Mar 12, 2018

Looking for some feedback I an assumption I am making regarding Universal Geneve Polerouter Sub crown variations. From what I can tell, there seems to have been 2 distinct styles used between the different cases.

Style 1:

The Rounded Crown - approx. 6.75mm
    [​IMG]
    It seems as though the Rounded Crowns were used on earlier versions of the Sub (37mm), and had a tube & flange similar to Calypsomatic for the crown to screw-down:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Style 2:
    The Flat Crown - approx. 7MM
    [​IMG]
    The Flat Crown appears to have been used on the Asymmetric cases (40mm) where there was a thread on the tube vs. flange. Case also seems designed around this flat style:

[​IMG]

Here are some side by side comparisons:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking at pics on Google, they seem consistent with this hypothesis. That being said, I wanted the opinions of the more experience members out there like @Diabolik.

Also, there are examples of Asymmetric cases with Rounded Crowns, but interestingly, not 37mm cases with Flat Crowns. That makes me think there was a "cut-over" at some point from rounded to flat.
    [​IMG]
    So, while two styles of crowns may have been used, it may be that the Flat style was only used in later production, on Polerouter Sub II models such as this with bakelite bezels:
    [​IMG]

I welcome your input and appreciate the opportunity to learn more. Thanks - Jeff

Image Credit: Most images borrowed from the internet and used for educational purposes only. Others provided by friends and used with their consent.

Edited Mar 12, 2018
    watchknut likes this.
  2. Mazoue Mar 12, 2018

Your hypothesis seems correct to me.

I wonder whether it is possible to generalise based on case reference. From what I can see:

869109 - Symmetric case/Round crown
    869116 - Asymmetric case/Round crown
    869120 - Asymmetric case/Round or flat crown
    869121 - Asymmetric case/Flat crown
    869123 - Asymmetric case/Flat crown (few examples)
    869124 - Asymmetric case/Flat crown (few examples)

The dial variation with the art deco numerals is typically the /01 dial variation within the case reference and the lumed hour markers is the /02 dial variation.

sdre and bristnj like this.
  3. stph_dxtr Apr 19, 2018

I'm new, i just read over at Calypsomatic,
    for this kind of tube, i tought the crown should be the biggest one: 7.4mm