Forums Latest Members

Polerouter Space Compax Sub - US Navy

1. Diabolik Jan 31, 2018

I came across another one of these recently. It could be the same watch, however I am unable to ascertain that as I do not have a good enough image. What is the gut feeling of the UG community of this oddity ?

upload_2018-1-31_20-38-34.png

Mapearso and chronoboy64 like this.
  2. Beepos Jan 31, 2018

I'm by no means anywhere close to experienced enough to reliably comment, but these are the things that stand out to me. I could well be wrong- I own 1 (almost 2) UGs so I know jack shit

1) The minutes track at 3, 6, 9 bother me. Normal space compaxes have a complete minutes track, with lume pips printed over the track. It seems odd that UG would make an exception on this watch alone.

2) This example seems to have lume in the entire number 12 mark. Most Space Compaxes Mk1 that have intact lume, have lume at the base only of the 12

3) It bugs me that there is no UG symbol on the watch. The Mk1 UG Polerouter subs had no symbol, true. But this watch has the typology of the Mk2-Mk3 subs, as seen in this wonderful thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/polerouter-sub-a-typology.3624/

4) I don't see a Swiss T mark, though admittedly, this may be hidden by the angle of the photo

Without far more photos, and some kind of tangible link to the navy, I'm skeptical. But I could well be wrong- Dean, you're the UG master after all!

Mapearso and Florent like this.
  3. Mapearso Jan 31, 2018

It appears to have all the elements of a mark1 space compax other than some changes to the dial (as pointed out by Beepos above) and obviously a different bezel.

The subdial hands are also different than any I've seen on a mk1 space compax, although I have seen similar on the earlier versions of the Compax / Nina with the applied "U" logo

I wonder -- is there any precedent for an arm of the US Government (in this case the US Navy) commissioning a non-US manufacturer to do something like this? I am not a historian, but I wonder if they wouldn't have been required to commission a US watch manufacturer... ?

Whatever the case, I like it!!!! So, dibs!

4. Beepos Jan 31, 2018

I would think so- hence the radial dials cases made by Omega using the Star Watch company. But that raises interesting question- How did Nasa then use the Speedmaster for Apollo? They are very much a govt agency

You can clearly see The "T swiss" on Don Eisele's Speedy, found by our very own @gdupree :https://omegaforums.net/threads/found-donn-eisele’s-apollo-7-speedmaster.66673/

So maybe the Buy American rule wasn't as hard and fast as it would later become?

5. Mapearso Jan 31, 2018

Duh -- the Moonwatch!!. You can see I'm not a big Speedmaster collector or historian LOL!

6. Beepos Jan 31, 2018

But you actually bring up an excellent question. See this article: https://www.fratellowatches.com/omega-speedmaster-professional-radial-dial-1978/

To summarize, in 1978, Omega had to have the cases of some watches made for Nasa be produced in the USA. These became the radial dial Omega speedmasters, and do not have "Swiss made"" on them. But the Buy American Act was passed in 1933, long before any of this

So how did Omega supply Swiss Made watches to Nasa in the 60s, for Apollo? Did those watches get some exception, which was later revoked? Did the law change in the 70s, forcing Omega to change their production patterns?

And does this mean that other branches of the US govt bought Swiss watches (like Diabolik's example?)

7. Vitezi Jan 31, 2018

8. Diabolik Feb 1, 2018

The main problem with this variation the polerouter sub or space compax (not really sure what to call it) is the later (late 60s early 70s) font, on a space compax 2 case with a space compax 1 dial configuration.

I smell a rat !

Edited Feb 1, 2018
    Beepos likes this.