Forums Latest Members
  1. nonada Jun 10, 2013

Hello

I have owned a Universal Geneve Polerouter watch for a long time. My father gave it to me when I was one year old, in 1967. It was shown to me on occasion during my childhood but I don't recall ever seeing it functioning back then. I took it with me when I left home and it stayed in a drawer up until about 10 years ago, when I had it serviced. It works nicely, and keeps time quite well. I use it now, for months at a time sometimes, then put it aside for a while. I feel I should have taken better care of it and would like to have it checked out and serviced again.

My father died some time ago and I do not know much about the history of this watch in my family. In any case, I was hoping to find more details about the watch itself, such as when it was made, etc.

I did some searching online - according to this timeline (http://www.polerouter.de/frameset-timeline.htm) the "Polerouter De Luxe" Microtor was available from around 1955 to 1960. This post (http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=2373331&rid=0) lists fabrication dates mapped to serial numbers - the SN on my watch (I presume that is the number on the back) fits the 1957-1959 date range. The movement in the watch is the Caliber 215, which this page at Polerouter.de (http://www.polerouter.de/frameset-movements.htm) says was introduced in 1955. It also says "since 1958 a long shaped regulator was used", which is what my watch seems to have.

Based on the above I gather the watch was made either in 1958 or 1959 - is there any way to get a more precise date range? Any pointers would be welcomed. Below are some pictures, which hopefully will be useful. I don't normally use the gold bracelet, which has no UG markings - I don't know if it's original, although it has always been with the watch.

2-P1070391.JPG 1-P1070369.JPG 3-DSCF7085.JPG 4-P1070375.JPG 5-P1070352.JPG 6-P1070381.JPG 8-P1070467.JPG 7-P1070463.JPG

My other question to the group is regarding a recommendation of a reliable outfit where I could get my watch serviced. My preference would be for a shop in Canada, since I live in Ottawa. I would appreciated any suggestions.

Thank you very much for reading, and my apologies if my message is reaching you multiple times. I have posted it to a couple of other watch forums where I saw that discussions on the UG Polerouter had taken place.

Antonio

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 10, 2013

Archer is highly recommended and he lives in Canada.
    What a lovely watch. You are lucky to have father that gives this magnificent piece when you are 1 year old.....
    I guess he is a watch aficionado,too.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 12, 2013

Very nice piece! It'd definitely be worth spending the money to get someone like Archer to take good care of it in servicing.

4. nonada Jun 16, 2013