Forums Latest Members
  1. Mazoue Jan 24, 2016

As the 40355/3 reference suggests, this Polerouter Jet has a gold-plated case which would not normally be of interest but I thought the dial was quite striking - is that likely to be actual marble?

On the assumption that the scratches to the glass are too deep and too numerous to polish out, should it be relatively easy to find a replacement?

Although the gold-plated case is in a good condition overall, there is a little tarnishing in places. Am I better leaving that or should it polish off relatively easily?

4117921.jpg
  2. ConElPueblo Jan 24, 2016

I've seen the auction listing, and I'm going to steer clear of this one. The dial is horrible.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 24, 2016

Pretty sure it's not marble just aged paint. Scratching might come out with a good bit of elbow grease and polywatch. Not sure about gold cap advice but polishing other than with a cloth is not advisable as it will remove edges.

4. ConElPueblo Jan 24, 2016

I see that the auction has ended - I'm guessing you ended up with it?

The case looks pretty good, as does the caseback. The dial really lets down the watch, especially the "lost" crosshairs. But I'm looking forward to seeing the watch in a more cleaned-up state :)

5. Mazoue Jan 24, 2016

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I bought this one.
    Doesn't that just show that one man's meat is another man's poison? I actually liked the dial and bought the watch for that reason. Although I see what you mean about the missing vertical crosshair.
    I'll post another picture of the dial once I've replaced/repaired the crystal.

6. ConElPueblo Jan 24, 2016

For sure, someone's damage is another's patina! There is a proud tradition of that on these boards :D

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 24, 2016

Marble? No. But I think that the dial will look good when the crystal is repaired or replaced. It would not be difficult to have the cross-hairs redone, either.

8. nightowl Jan 24, 2016

Ah, so you were the one who ended up with it? I actually put in a few bids on that one. Would be interesting to know what that dial looks like without that scratched crystal.

9. nightowl Jan 24, 2016

Are they lost? It looks like cross-hairs recessed into the dial?

10. Mazoue Jan 24, 2016

To me, it looks as if the horizontal crosshair is fine but the vertical crosshair is missing.

I still think the marbling effect might be original rather than aged paint as it's incredibly "marble-like".

I don't have any better photos of the dial yet but attach a couple of extra photos of the case and caseback. 4117921a.jpg 4117921.jpg

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 24, 2016

That dial is not marbled that's paint weathered over the years. But evenly so not a bad thing if you like it. Will be a good wearer with a bit of TLC...

12. nightowl Jan 24, 2016

There's another photo where you can see that it's just the light. Both look fine.

Or, I mean, no, you should cancel the purchase :whistling:

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 24, 2016

Here's an article showing a nice original example of this reference:

http://ambwatches.com/tag/caliber-215-9/

[​IMG]

Even on the above watch, it looks like the crosshairs were hand painted in. Maybe they were never there in the first place?

Looks to me like the dial on the OP's watch is original, but was a victim of a very harsh cleaning attempt that removed the crosshairs and clear lacquer.

That left the dial paint no protection from natural elements which could easily account for the faux "marble" patina.

NOS dials for the Jets do turn up on eBay or from Internet watch dealers on occasion.

Take a look, you might be surprised.
    gatorcpa

nightowl likes this.