Forums Latest Members

Polerouter date - slipped through the net

1. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 21, 2017

Good evening UG forum

I'm usually found hanging out in the vintage Omega forum but I thought I'd drop by to ask some advice from you kind folk if I may

I'm stuck in Bahrain at the minute so thought I'd trawl the old souq for vintage watches today
    -and unearthed this rather nice (I think) gold cap, black cross hair dial, Polerouter date

I'd always fancied a polerouter - before I had my heart stolen by Constellations - so was quite pleased when I came across this one

I've done a bit of reading this afternoon - 23 pages of polerouter threads - some great information there
    (I didn't find the .de site particularly helpful)
    - special thanks to @Severin for the tremendous thread on dial fonts :thumbsup:

the dial/fonts look good to my untrained eye - with only 'SWISS' at the base of the dial
    I haven't seen inside - and am unlikely to be able to do - so, from the open, pointy U-symbol/fonts/dial, my best guess is that it is a late 218-2 or a 69 (so early 60's?)
    the crown is badly worn and most likely a replacement
    the crystal with the asymmetrical magnifier looks correct but I can't see the UG symbol in my photo
    the case back markings are feint but visible (but from the pic I did notice it appears to have a UG strap - to my shame I didn't look at the buckle)

I can probably get this watch for around £400

so my questions are:
    does the dial look good?
    can the correct crown be easily sourced and replaced?
    and - most obviously - do you think it's a good buy?

many thanks in advance for your help

pics front and back and details (marks are on the crystal)
    IMG_1886.JPG
    IMG_1890.JPG
    Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 21.42.32.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 21.42.55.png

Jwit likes this.
  2. clark Jan 21, 2017

Hey,

I think it's an Ok buy and the dial looks in good condition. I don't think any of the parts for Universal Geneve Polerouter are easy to source. The original parts at least. The price is around that that area but i think you can negotiate it a bit lower.

Peemacgee likes this.
  3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jan 21, 2017

I would insist that the back be removed before you purchase, so that you can see the state of the movement. The only exception to this rule is if you're getting a great deal - and at that price, you're not getting a super steal.

Peemacgee likes this.
  4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 21, 2017

It's a pretty good price. I sold my very similar one for ~us$750 very recently.

Peemacgee likes this.
  5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 21, 2017

Many thanks for the input gents - much appreciated

6. Jonatan Jan 22, 2017

The correct crown will not be easy to find. I second modest_proposal comment about not seeing the movement. It's a gamble and the micro-rotor is known for rotor burn and not everyone can service these. However the case is in ok shape, the dial is nice, the hands are correct.

Peemacgee likes this.
  7. Carlton-Browne Jan 22, 2017

£400 isn't a drop dead bargain but it looks reasonably tidy and the original crystal is a big plus. If you buy it and have a crisis of conscience when you get back to blighty I might be interested and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 22, 2017

Hmm a bit concerned that parts might be difficult to source
    My 'expertise' starts and finishes with a rubbing rotor in a Connie- what does 'rotor burn' look like?!

9. gop76 Jan 22, 2017

Movement parts can be easily found, case parts (hands, glass, crowns...) not so much but they can be found too, it's not the Polerouter Sub territory...

Usually the signs of rubbing can be easily seen inside the case back.

As others said the watch looks correct and the original crystal is a nice bonus. I think it's fairly priced and, i second @Carlton-Browne here, if you came to the conclusion that you don't like it, you can easily sell it without loosing money.

Maybe others disagree but i would give 400 for that watch...

Peemacgee likes this.
  10. 10H10 Jan 23, 2017

IMO if you fancy a polerouter for 400£, better buy an all steel, not a goldplated.

STANDY likes this.
  11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 23, 2017

The trouble was -I wasn't looking for a Polerouter but I have always liked them -and this one, well -just presented itself

I don't mind GP or GC ( Have a couple of GC Connies)
    The main thing is I won't be able to get the back off to check the condition of the movement
    if this one was a bit of a steal, or bit better condition - correct crown, good engraving on the back etc, I don't think I'd be able to resist it and would take the risk with the movement
    So I'm on the fence at the minute
    Still due to be stuck here for a couple of days yet so I'll see

thanks for the input all the same

12. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 24, 2017

Quick update with a negative outcome I'm afraid

Decided to bargain for the watch (offered half the asking price ;))
    The guy rang the owner who informed him it was already reserved :(
    And at only £300! (And he wouldn't do a deal)
    Bummer because on closer inspection it did have the UG crystal symbol
    And original buckle
    Pic of buckle just for the sake of it (apologies it's a bit out of focus)
    Thanks again for all the advice

IMG_1924.JPG

13. Carlton-Browne Jan 24, 2017

You win some, you lose some. You lost this one. The buckles go for in the region of £40 on their own and the fact that the crystal has the trapezoid cyclops means that it is original though I suppose it's possible that the UG logo could have been polished out over time.

14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 24, 2017

the original logo was feint but definitely there if you looked at the crystal at an angle with a loop
    oh well -another time