Forums Latest Members

Polerouter Date sighting: is a red second hand a red flag?

1. Severin Jul 16, 2015

Some good hi-res pics of a listing (sans pic of the movement, which is indicated as cal. 69 in the listing). Crystal is signed. In your experience, is an apparently rusty second hand indicative of trouble deeper below?

I do not own any Polerouters, but am on the hunt for a black dialed, fully "crosshaired" Date model. This one is not fully crosshaired and does not have the lovely Bombe lugs, but piqued my interest nonetheless.
    I'd appreciate any perspective you might wish to add. Thank you in advance.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Martinibianco and ELV web like this.
  2. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jul 17, 2015

Seems like an honest, if not spectacular, example of a cal 69 polerouter. The original crystal is always a huge plus and lugs are sharp. The condition of the hands and dial isn't really indicative of anything beyond the watch's cosmetic imperfections as long as the watch has been regularly serviced. Whatever the case may be, I would demand to see a movement shot if you are interested in purchasing this watch. I personally really like this model and I am looking to add one to the collection.

3. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jul 17, 2015

It might not be rust on the second hand. More likely - it could have got a dab of lume applied.

4. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jul 18, 2015

Haha

No. While some (or most?) prescribe to the school of "it's your watch, do what you want," I completely disagree with that line of thought. While I buy these watches for my own enjoyment, I think it is also my duty to help preserve their beauty and originality- I will admit, however, that this is purely subjective.
    If you are conflicted it's probably best that you move on. As you've noticed by now, buying vintage is not simple as going online and searching for what you want, but the version you are looking for - bombe lugs black dial - is not particularly rare. It was made for a 14 year period from '54 to '68 with the different permutations of the UG automatic movements: 138ss (bumper) 215/218 (micro-rotor). I've never seen one with the 69.

Small suggestion: these come up for sale most often in the European markets, so it would be easier to find one on chrono24 rather than on ebay. The downside would be that you generally have to pay much more.

nicolas07 likes this.
  5. Severin Jul 18, 2015

Thank you - you are likely correct and I suppose I just needed to hear it from someone! The rationalizer in me sees it in some ways like playing Bach's solo works for klavier on the piano (I note the cello in your profile pic): it was initially met with some skepticism when Tureck, Gould etc started to do it (i.e. Rather than on the harpsichord), but it has since become an accepted practice. Not an ideal analogy, but you get the rationalizing point. Thank you again for the tough but good medicine!

6. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jul 18, 2015

Perhaps not, but it certainly brought a smile to my face!:) When we, as in us watch-crazy folk, talk about redials, some mention restorations done on priceless paintings. Also not a good analogy because the people doing these restorations are often first rate painters themselves and different mediums have different expectations of beauty.

I personally love love Glenn Gould. His second recording of the Goldberg variations is as un-Bach as one can get, but Bach, being the progressive he was would have appreciated the performance, I'd like to think. I also think he would have appreciated the limitless potential of the grand piano. He was, after all, an organist. Check out Andras Schiff if you haven't already!

7. Severin Jul 18, 2015

:)I am familiar with Schiff and do admire some of his work. To raise another "obsessives only" perspectives debate, however, he serves as a great example of what some would consider an overly "romantic" interpretation of Bach. I happen to subscribe to this view, and much prefer Gould. But even Gould can "go too far" for some (e.g. He can sound machine-like): this is where someone like Tureck or Hewitt can sometimes narrow the gap. Another, of course is the debate in historically "approrpiate" vs modern string instrument/ensemble for something like a Bach concerto or a small vs large choir for a Passion or Mass, or vibrato or no vibrato on the voice or strings, or boys choir vs adult male and female choir...the list of redial vs do not redial-like schisms is endless! I imagine this is the case in many areas beyond vintage watches and Bach

jordn likes this.
  8. Severin Jul 22, 2015

Update: just in...my first Universal Geneve! I am over the moon...

Thanks to all for your input. My watchmaker confirms what styggpyggeno 1 had suspected: the red/orange on the second hand is an old lume dip or something (not rust). In for a good once-over service now (in decent shape, but amplitude is on the low side, will benefit from a thorough cleaning etc - a few quick shots below in the meantime.

Despite not being sure how I would respond to the non-fully crosshaired, non-Bombe variant (as discussed in posts above), having it in my hands now leaves me amazed that I would ever had contemplated touching it up. You were right, jordn: I will definitely leave it alone!

Two things of a pleasant surprise sort: I really like the "heaviness" of it, for example, compared to a De Ville redial I own. Second, I like that it wears a bit larger than the De Ville - perhaps due to the lugs. I have no issue with the De Ville size, it's just that the Polerouter adds a little variety to the mix.

Sorry about the poor cellphone shots - I was just wanted to share with someone asap.
    P.s. One of the shots shows the Polerouter beside a Lagonda I own and enjoy very much.

I am exhausted by the hunt for this, but am still interested in a fully crosshaired and Bombe lugged variant and will continue to look for that. If anyone ever has any leads they can share, it would be very much appreciated.

Long story short, I am beyond thrilled and still can't believe that it's true. This will be my daily wearer and I plan to hold on to it for life and eventually pass it along to my child. IMG_20150722_190916.jpg IMG_20150722_191001.jpg IMG_20150722_172718.jpg IMG_20150722_152357.jpg IMG_20150722_191251.jpg IMG_20150722_191717.jpg It is my favourite watch in my small collection (Polerouter Date, Deville redial, Lagonda Officer plus - for bumpier duties -Casio F-91W and Timex Weekender-type (I forget what it's called)). Thanks, all for listening and for your counsel along the way.

khmt2, Selbo, ELV web and 3 others like this.
  9. Allant Jul 23, 2015

When you said 'Lagonda' I was looking forward to seeing the Aston Martin :(

nicolas07 likes this.
  10. Selbo Jul 23, 2015

Looks great. Are you going to purchase the Polerouter in your other thread (the one with the bombe lugs)? I know you had some concerns but it looks like a winner to me. If you like the one you just purchased, wait until the bombe one comes through...

11. Severin Jul 23, 2015

I would like to pick up the other piece also (then I'd be done! (famous last words, I know)), but it is not looking likely - I think others beat me to it. I'll keep an eye out for a Bombe lug, full crosshair model, but with no urgency or, as I've mentioned elsewhere, foolishness. All the while, I will hold on to the piece i've just acquired for good.