Forums Latest Members

Polerouter (Date) Confirmation/Advice etc.

1. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Sep 19, 2016

Hello all,

I have recently stumbled across a 14k Gold Filled UG Polerouter cal. 1-69. I was just hoping for some more skilled eyes to help me decide if I should pull the trigger on it.

Seller states:
    "Case was designed by Gerald Genta. The 14K goldfilled case is in excellent shape. The pictures depict the condition accurately. There are a few marks on the case and on the crystal which is expected for a vintage piece. The watch is running well. Please don't expect COSC standards. Date function operates flawlessly. Watch was serviced earlier this year. However, Vintage watches are sold as-is and may need a service anytime. "

A few things I noticed:
    -Date/date window looks like there may be a crack or scratch on it
    -Lume dots look a little too far inward compared to others I have seen
    -rotor looks like it may have had some contact with the caseback

There is no photo of the inside of the caseback but I have asked the seller for more photos.
    Seller originally posted sale for $550USD but has reduced it to $375.

I am grateful for any comments good and bad.

Thank you all for your time,

Jake

EDIT: Text looks a little thinner to me than others also. Possible redial? I am not good at identifying redials.
    Do you guys think this is a good price for this quality example? Or should I wait and try to find better?

IMG_3093.JPG IMG_3094.JPG IMG_3095.JPG IMG_3096.JPG IMG_3097.JPG IMG_3098.JPG
    Edited Sep 19, 2016
  2. Severin Sep 20, 2016

Hello, Jwit: I don't know much about these kind of Polerouters, so please take my comments with a large grain of salt pending input from more knowledgeable forum members.

In the meantime, and with those caveats in mind, while an interesting enough watch, I suspect you could do better.

It looks like it's in a Polerouter Super case, but the dial does not indicate Super. Case looks a bit overpolished based on what I can see on the small phone i'm typing this on. The crown looks to be generic. The second hand might be a replacement and th2 minute hand , intresting insofar a its tip hovers above the chapter ring, rather than near abutting it as is more commonly seen. The lume dots at 5,6 , 7 form an almost horizontal line, almost as if someone wrote the "Swiss T" first to compensate for its position by adjusting lume dot location.

This is based on a quick scan on a small screen - there are sure to be other interesting aspects to this piece. Based on my cursory scan of the dial and on the rotor rash (p.s. Is that regulator set to 180 degrees? Can't tell), I'd hold out for a piece that met more of your requirements.

I hope this helps.

Jwit and gop76 like this.
  3. gop76 Sep 20, 2016

I'll second what @Severin said (dial refinished and not brilliantly, wrong second hand and wrong crown) with the exception of the minute hand be a replacement. I'm not sure about that.

Take a look (picture found on the web):

o2.jpg

Severin likes this.
  4. Severin Sep 20, 2016

I think you're right about the minute hand, gop76 - nice catch!

5. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Sep 20, 2016

Awesome finds guys. Thank you very much, I wouldn't have caught those on my own. The more eyes the better! I'm going to steer clear from this one. Thanks again!