Forums Latest Members

Polerouter Cal 218 - What should I do with these hands?

1. Northernman Lemaniac Sep 30, 2013

Hi!
    I have this Polerouter that is in great mechanical condition. Movement has been overhauled and is running nicely. The dial is more than good enough for me, and the case is OK. It has original and signed plexi and crown. My concern is the corroded hands. I do like some patina, but these is a bit too much for my taste.

Should I try to restore these (is it possible)? Or does anyone have other suggestions?

If someone have a set of hands lying in the drawer feel free to contact me as I might be interested in a deal!

[​IMG]

2. ulackfocus Sep 30, 2013

Wonder why so many watchmakers don't do much to the hands? I'm sure they can be cleaned / stripped / replated / relumed.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 30, 2013

Probably because you do it well 20 times you're a good watchmaker, you screw up one set of hands you're a loser that can't be trusted again. Much like systems engineering come to think of it...

That's probably why so many won't touch dials unless they're dealers as well and can eat the loss, nobody remembers how many times you succeed, only the one that goes bad.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 30, 2013

Yes, but at what cost? I think that's the problem here.

I've had hands restripped and re-plated as part of a general service. But not very often.

There has to be some profit in there for the watchmaker. It's going to cost him something in time and money to get it to someone who can do the work.

Rhodium plate is much tougher and more expensive to work with than gold, yet the end product is not as valuable.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

5. Northernman Lemaniac Sep 30, 2013

Most watchmakers I know prefer to work on the movements as working on cases, dials and hands are different tasks.
    "Cosmetic" work may not be what drew them to their profession in the first place? A light brush and polish is one thing, however re-plating and other more delicate restoration work is something else.
    Still hoping someone would have some original spare ones in the drawer :whistling:

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 30, 2013

Parts for Polerouters are pretty much made out of unobtanium. Unless you buy some non-running examples to harvest.

Crowns and hands are the first to go, though.
    gatorcpa