Forums Latest Members
  1. valjoux72 Jan 28, 2019

What happend to the Polarouter SAS thread?
    Just forgot to postmark it, so anybody has a link to auctionhouse and hammered price??

Thanks a lot!

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 28, 2019

The thread was deleted.

Hammer price was 94,000 SEK (not including the buyer's premium)

Edited Jan 28, 2019
  3. Mazoue Jan 28, 2019

Based on the catalogue images, I had no concerns regarding the watch and the serial was within the expected range.

However I was not absolutely sure about the engraving on the case back and was alerted to some doubts about its provenance. It may have been absolutely fine but it was enough to dissuade me from bidding.

Tony C. likes this.
  4. aap Jan 28, 2019

I wonder; why?

Woops likes this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 28, 2019

I don't know what post led to the deletion, but it had devolved somewhat as the result of the initial poster's reaction to my broad criticism of that type of post. It's a long story, but the short version is that I questioned the wisdom of 'outing' desirable watches found in semi-hidden, smaller auction houses, and the OP, who is a new member, incorrectly took the criticisms personally, and also objected to my tone.

I switched to PMs, and the thread was still alive when I went to sleep. What happened after that, I do not know.

Mark020, sdre, yako54 and 2 others like this.
  6. aap Jan 28, 2019

I must have missed those contentious parts. Oh well! Thanks Tony

Tony C. likes this.
  7. Woops Jan 28, 2019

As I recall, the OP in that thread, and many others beneath him, also objected to the actual substantive content of Tony's argument, not merely it's delivery.

I also missed any content in the other thread which broke site rules, and if there was some, surely those posts alone could have been removed? We have often rightly seen contentious or abusive posts removed immediately; it is far less common to see a four page thread containing various reasonable viewpoints removed days after creation.

sdre likes this.
  8. Woops Jan 28, 2019

Regardless of all of that, I feel that someone did okay with this latest example. Here's hoping it surfaces with a member here.

9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 28, 2019

Say what?! Is there something uncommon about people disagreeing on the substance of a discussion?

I stated a strong opinion, but also specifically noted that I could see that there were other ways to look at the issue. The problem with the OP is that he only addressed the substance of my argument once. His subsequent posts were largely ad hominem attacks, which is why the thread became heated.

Edited Jan 28, 2019
  10. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 28, 2019

Hi all,
    yes the original thread I initiated was deleted. Unfortunately I wasn't informed so cannot ,with any great certainty, give the reasons however I'm sure you can all draw your own conclusions as I note some of you have done already.

Sometimes "discretion is the better part of valour" so I will keep my own counsel this time in the hope of avoiding adding fuel to the fire.

Like Woops I think someone got a good watch and absolutely hope it is a forum member who can share with us.

11. Petervl Jan 28, 2019

It Went for a tad under 9 K Euros + comission.

12. Kapka Jan 28, 2019

If we, for a moment, go back to the watch again I would love to get your opinion on a hammered price. In my eyes, it went for a quite “cheap”final bid, or did I miss something?

I agree, on the engraving issue and to me it doesn’t look professional at all. It was probably added somehow afterwards (guessing). Nevertheless, the rest looks pretty good to me based on the crapy pictures below.

I’m mean, we are talking about very rare piece and both Sothebys polarouter and another one sold at the small swedish auction house, ended much higher.

4C8D365F-5DA0-41A3-A231-89DC1FB056BC.jpeg 781562A8-E34B-4A0C-9EB0-0DD095B66994.jpeg 008A205C-7E47-4705-8163-11472DDDF13B.jpeg A68506CF-1752-4E4E-ACCD-DF91649AFE36.jpeg
    Severin likes this.
  13. Petervl Jan 28, 2019

We are talking about a SAS captains name engraved who never got the watch issued according to the list of recipients on the first flight, he may have got it somehow later but it is not noted. That is the problem, if it where one who got it issued it would add to provenance and value, now it don´t. It is still a original SAS watch, just with a disturbing engraving.

Diabolik, chronoboy64 and Kapka like this.
  14. Kapka Jan 28, 2019

Ok, so he was never on that first flight?
    Is that list offical? I guess that does affect the price but I still this is a legit SAS Polarouter and among the best one I have seen. The dial and the case look exceptionally preserved.

Hope it was someone here who got it.

15. Mazoue Jan 28, 2019

Shortly before the SAS Polarouter was sold at Sotheby's, I spent many many hours researching an article about the SAS Polar flights. I read newspaper articles from all of the Scandinavian countries, from Los Angeles and from Winnipeg where the planes landed, refuelled and changed crews. The names of the Captains often featured in these articles but not once did I come across the name of Uno Söremo.

It would be interesting if someone had a photo of him from the period to compare against the group shots of the crew with their watches that we have all seen.

The only photo I was able to find of him is below when he was first officer on the non-stop flight from New York to Stockholm. I think he is 3rd from the left in the line-up (2nd from the left in uniform).

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 19.05.32.png

DaveK, sdre, Severin and 2 others like this.
  16. Mazoue Jan 28, 2019

I completely agree that the watch looked in great order and, most importantly I think, the case remained sharp.

Here are some shots of the example I purchased in Sweden last summer.

_PWF8966.jpg
    Capture0161.jpg
    Capture0115.jpg

bardamu, rbob99, sdre and 13 others like this.
  17. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 28, 2019

18. Petervl Jan 28, 2019

Very, very nice!

19. Skrotis Jan 28, 2019

The Captain is 96 years old today and lives 10 min away from the auctionhouse.
    If you have any information regarding (issued) watches please share it.
    UG and SAS have no list of issued watches!
    There is a lot of theories regarding them but nobody knows.
    It was a simple watch bought by a company to mark a important occasion in their history.
    The engraving is personal and i have a hard time to belive somebody would work the watch this way to make a bigger profit on this auctionhouse.
    What i know is that some people tried to buy it directly from the auctionhouse since oktober last Year when it occured the first time.

20. Skrotis Jan 28, 2019