Forums Latest Members
  1. Anne Jul 8, 2017

Can any of you help me with info on this watch?
    Bought it at a fleamarket today, paid €70.
    It runs on time. Thank you!
    IMG_1485.JPG IMG_1489.JPG IMG_1492.JPG IMG_1497.JPG image.jpg image.jpg

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 8, 2017

Hang tight, I'm sure some one will have some info for you, I don't.

A couple of things: Take it to a watchmaker and have him open the inner cover to the movement for you. Get a picture of the movement.

If you share your approximate location maybe somebody can suggest a good watchmaker.

Second, may I complement you on your avatar? Very nice!

Maybe @Canuck will have a thought or two...

Anne likes this.
  3. Anne Jul 11, 2017

Thank you for responding.
    I plan on taking it to a watchmaker, there is one close by that specializes in old/antique clocks and watches.
    Despite the obvious cracks in the face and worn outer casing I thought it was a beautiful timepiece.

And thank you also for your compliment on my avatar.
    The picture is from an old iron works, where the foundry buildings and worker's cottages have been restored and are now used for shops and eateries. The outdoor areas are used as a sculpture park.

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 11, 2017

Ah! I see that now! Out of context it looked like an abstract.

It is a beautiful watch. I'm surprised there weren't more comments.

I've been buying pocket watches recently because I find the movements so lovely to look at.

original_file_lock.jpg

Anne likes this.
  5. jumpingsecond Jul 11, 2017

It's magical. One of its kinfolk says hello.
    359951-2dad5db90479ba332eab82efe6ff4aea.jpg

Anne likes this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 11, 2017

Keep seeing pocket watches that sing to me. This is not a good thing! :eek: Lovely watch for 70 Euro.

Anne likes this.
  7. Anne Jul 16, 2017

Beautiful!

8. OMTOM Jul 16, 2017

Hi Anne and welcome,

As already noted above, the more information/images you can provide, the better the information that can be provided in return. But here goes.

Your watch would be known as an open face pocket watch (or Lépine to the French/Swiss).

The case number you show (7444913) dates the watch (I guess) to about 1925/1926. The movement could be any one of several (similar) versions that Omega had been making for years.

The dust cover you show (first image) which is engraved with ‘Omega Bienne-Geneve’ and the medals – was typically used by Omega in this period. Bienne is the main city of Omega production but at that time watches were also produced in Geneva. The medals show the various exhibitions from previous years (Geneva 1896/Milan 1906/ Paris 1889/Bern 1914/Paris 1900/Milan 1906/Brussels 1897).

Your third image shows hallmarks on the inside of the dustcover. On the right is a Swiss hallmark (which is a grouse) above ‘0.800’ – which means the case is solid silver with a content of at least 80% silver. On the left of the Omega symbol is a German hallmark (crescent moon and crown) from this period. The other (scratch) marks have been made by watchmakers over the years.

In your fourth and fifth images we see the enamel dial – which has sadly but typically got cracks. That’s like a porcelain dish that has had some experience over the years – too bad. The lovely hands were (correctly) ‘Romaine’ hands (but sometimes loosely called ‘Cathedral’ hands).

Your watch is about 90 years old and has many stories (that it can’t tell you – make up your own). It may not have been serviced for 50 years (seriously) and although it may keep good time, if it hasn’t seen any oil for (a few) generations, it can’t be happy. Anyone would recommend that you try to find a watchmaker who doesn’t rob you but at least services the watch.

Finally, once it has been serviced, I’d recommend that you just enjoy the watch – pull it out of your bag while you’re in the supermarket queue and casually look at it (watch the queue around you!).
    Good luck, Tom

Anne likes this.
  9. Anne Jul 16, 2017

Thank you so much, Tom!
    You have provided me with a wealth of information.
    I have no qualms with the wear and tear, that is part of the history of this watch.
    It will indeed be taken to a watchmaker, I know of one who specializes in old/antique timepieces. He has helped me before, and gave me good advice regarding the amount of restoration I thought was needed (he recommended less than I had planned, and gave good explanations as to why/why not).
    I will have him take more pictures as he opens up this beauty.
    Thank you again!
    Anne

Edited Jul 16, 2017