Forums Latest Members
  1. steveb73 Oct 19, 2019

Hello,
    I don't know much about pocket watches, so I'm looking for some advice!
    I've got these three vintages watches that I know aren't anything amazing, so would it be worth getting one of them serviced? A service would probably cost more than the watch is worth, but if I decided to spend the money on it, which one would it be?

The Sackville at the top is very clean, running and keeping good time.
    The Waltham "Traveler" is very clean and running but is missing the glass, minute hand and has a chip on the dial that would need repairing.
    The Services "Scout" at the bottom is again very clean, but not running.

The Services feels the cheapest of the lot so unless it's special, it's between the two gold filled ones.
    I love the dial and handset on the Sackville, but I also really like the case, watch size and clean movement of the Waltham... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Sackville from the 1930's
    PA190636.jpg PA190642.jpg

Waltham "Traveler" from 1903
    PA190650.jpg PA190651.jpg PA190661.jpg PA190662.jpg

Services "Scout" from the 1930's
    PA190646.jpg

2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Oct 19, 2019

Welcome to pocket watches! Can you provide clearer shots of the serial #s on the movements and also the case markings? Also, do they work and can you set the time?

My initial thoughts are, if you are going to keep them, choose the one you want to wear and get it serviced. For the rest, I would just make sure that they work, and get any needed replacement parts installed (if available and cost is low). You can service them later if you want, or if you sell them the buyer can do it. The chip, I would guess, is maybe fixable at a very large cost to be done well - I haven’t looked into that option, just read about it. Some pocket watch pros are here, so wait for their input.

In the meanwhile, check out the pocket watch forums at https://vintagewatchforums.com/ and https://nawcc.org/ and check out YouTube videos with Vern Playton, I’d love to spend some time talking with that guy!

watch3s likes this.
  3. steveb73 Oct 19, 2019

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply!
    The Sackville and Waltham are easy to open so I've got the numbers for them, but I can't get into the Services one as I don't want to damage the case. As I said before, it feels pretty cheap and not as good as the other two so I'll probably let that one go as it is.

It looks like the case on the Waltham was made by STAR and all three covers have matching numbers.
    The serial on the movement is - 12624809
    It works and I can set the time.
    I thought a dial repair would probably be expensive so I was wondering if I could pick up a similar dial and handset and fit that instead.

The Sackville doesn't have a serial number on the movement.
    The case back is marked - 681049
    It works, but setting the time is a bit hit and miss as it slips and feels like it isn't engaging properly.

Thanks for the links. I can see I've got a lot plenty of things read and to research and the Vern Playton videos look fascinating!!!

Steve
    Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 21.20.11.png
    Waltham :
    PA190689.JPG PA190667.JPG PA190669.JPG PA190671.JPG
    Services:
    PA190680.JPG

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 21.20.11.png PA190689.JPG PA190667.JPG PA190669.JPG PA190671.JPG

PA190680.JPG

4. Canuck Oct 19, 2019

I suggest you don’t be in a hurry to spend a bunch of money fixing any of these. Consider the money you spend repairing watches as being no longer available to acquire more watches. There are only so many dollars to devote to watch collecting, and the less you spend repairing means the more left with which to buy more watches. Spend more time learning about pocket watches, how to judge them for condition, quality, relative rarity, and desirability as a collectible. A lot of money spent fixing up a basket case will result in a watch that is still not as good as better ones available if you wait to invest. Seven jewel ones like the Waltham are often more badly worn that their 15, 17, or 21-jewel counterparts. The best you will do repairing the chipped dial will result in a blemished dial that will always deface the watch. The one you can’t open? Forget it! The Swiss one is not collectible in my view. If they run, save any money you might spend trying to make them run better.

steveb73, airansun and DaveK like this.
  5. steveb73 Oct 19, 2019

Thanks for the straight answer and advice. It was just the sort of thing I wanted to hear. Like you said, my money would be much better spent elsewhere!

I don't have much money in any of them, so a service for one of them would cost far more than the price all three cost me!
    Right now I've got a mid 50's Tudor Royal in for a service and that is something I'll wear, unlike a pocket watch. What I might end up doing is letting the Waltham and the Services ones go and just keep the little Swiss one as it is running and keeping good time and as you say, not worth servicing. I might wind it once or twice a year so a lack of service isn't going to be a problem. I will spend some time learning more about them for future reference though!!!

6. Canuck Oct 19, 2019

The Waltham Traveler was a model that the Waltham agent in England, imported into England, for installation into an English case. The 10 years marked inside the case back was the case maker’s mark (A L Dennison) which referred to thickness of gold plating, based on life expectancy of the plating. A 20 year case is a better quality case. That Waltham movement was made in 7,15, 17, 19, 21, and 23 jewel versions. The 15 and 17 jewel versions will likely be engraved on the movement, WALTHAM. The 19 and 21 jewel versions often marked as Crescent Street. The 23 jewel one will likely be marked VANGUARD. Find one in good shape, and the price will be higher. Probably amounting to about what you paid for the 7-jewel Waltham, PLUS whatever you might have had to pay to service it. But you’ll end up with a better watch. It is clear you have done your research on the Waltham. Many collectors prefer to collect American watches since information such as you uncovered is more readily available than on a Swiss watches. That is, unless you are dealing with a prominent, high quality, brand name of a Swiss watch. Finally, the better the condition of the watch you collect = less spent servicing it, and the closer it will be to original, once it is done. Learning to judge condition cannot be picked up quickly. But once you learn to judge, you’ll end up with better watches, for no more money.

7. steveb73 Oct 20, 2019

Thanks for all that information on Walthams! At the moment I think I'll base all my research on them to get an idea of movements and dials and cases etc. I know I've got a huge amount of things to learn and understand, but it'll be well worth it and much better than wasting my money on rubbish.

I know completely understand why a 7-jewel is just not worth looking at, unless it holds some sentimental value. So I'll look out for the best I can get for my budget, that has plenty of jewels!!! Thanks for the info on the case. I knew Dennison made cases for companies like Omega and Rolex, but I didn't know they made pocket watch ones too.

I was also really surprised on the information I could find with just the serial number on the movement. I imagine that really helps in confirming that the dials, movements and cases are the correct date.

Thanks again for all the advice. I've got a lot to learn!!!