Forums Latest Members
  1. 3NZ0 Sep 19, 2016

Hi all!

Hope everyone has had a great weekend and is starting the week refreshed. I'd be very pleased to have the views of the honorable OF members on a little problem i am having with my newly acquired PO 2909.50 (2500c movement, 42mm).

I swam with it on Friday (i had had Omega HK test the watch was waterproof after i bought it...) only to discover condensation this morning. Horror! Promptly took it to the surgeon whom is telling me the dial is damaged (see pic).

I guess my options are:
    - check if omega can source a dial. How realistic is this ?
    - source a second hand dial: i wouldn't know where to start aside from ebay with the risks associated. What would you professionals recommend ?
    - keep the damaged dial ...

Don't really know what to do... Heeeeelp !

Thanks !!! image.jpeg

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 19, 2016

Ouch! What happened, was the crown pulled out? How long ago did Omega HK suggest it was waterfast? If it was recently, you surely have a case to suggest they should help fix this. The dials will be available but only via an Omega service or STS if you are anywhere near the UK. The actual cost of the dial may be only $100-200 but the service cost on tip will make it expensive and you will want it serviced after water ingress.

3. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 19, 2016

Actually looking at it, that dial could probably be restored but a new one will be the best course if you can find one. You still need to get the movement checked out anyhow.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 19, 2016

I'm assuming your watch guy does not have an Omega parts account? If he did he could just look up the dial and order it. You don't list the full reference number for the watch, but for example the dal for a 29095038 is part 064WK3171011.

If your guy isn't Omega certified, I would hesitate letting him service the watch - often the co-axials need parts and there are special tools/training needed to service these properly...

Cheers, Al

5. 3NZ0 Sep 19, 2016

Hi Padders, thanks for this. I think it's going to be a long shot with Omega as obviously nothing proves they got it wrong a few weeks ago... Then obviously i checked the crown before going in and i don't usually fiddle with the valve or the caseback... Will pay them a visit anyway tomorrow, will report ! Cheers.

6. 3NZ0 Sep 19, 2016

Hi Al,

Thanks a lot for this very valuable bit of advice. I will check this. Excuse the typo it's a 2209.50.00.

Getting worried now

Cheers,
    JD

7. ConElPueblo Sep 19, 2016

Keep it as it is! In thirty years time that damage will have become "patina" and suddenly your banged up daily beater has "wabi" and will be "unique". That's what all the cool kids want these days :D

8. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 19, 2016

And in thirty days time there could be a nice thick 'patina' of rust on the movement! Jokes aside, it is what is behind the dial which would worry me.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 19, 2016

Okay thanks - dial part number is still the same, so again 064WK3171011. Note that whoever services this should also be resealing the case again, since we know it leaks. This will require new case parts - crown, case tube, HEV, case back seal...

If condensation inside a watch requires a service is a matter of degree. If there is a very thin, small disk of condensation on the inside of the crystal that disappears quickly, although it's not ideal by any means, it will be far less likely to need a service than with condensation that is so heavy it ends up on the dial, as this example has done.

Cheers, Al

10. 3NZ0 Sep 19, 2016

Ahah! You're right, in the end let's not forget all this is just a game ... Now, thinking about it, do you think i should get this thread certified by a notary so that i can prove the history of the watch in 30 years time ? The episode would become known as "the pool incident". With the famous Al and ConElPueblo having played a major role in the resolution of the incident... We almost have a movie here already.
    Hasta la muerte!
    Cheers.

11. 3NZ0 Sep 19, 2016

Hi Al, thanks again. The watch needed a service anyway so will go for it. Need to check the creds of the guy though!!! Do you have any contact you would recommend in Hong Kong ?

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 19, 2016

Sorry - don't know any watchmakers in HK...