Forums Latest Members
  1. miguel Aug 15, 2012

I bought a planet ocean 9300 chrono from an AD(authorized dealer). 4 days later I realized that the chrono function of my watch was not working, so I contacted OMEGA and the AD for a replacement because I got a defective watch that was not working since the begining. Neither OMEGA nor the AD were able to replace my watch. OMEGA fixed it (it took 2 months and 10 days) and returned back to me.

In my personal opinion, OMEGA has great watches but they are selling defective watches and if you are unfortunate as I was, once you pay for it, there is nothing you can do to either return the watch or get a replacement. This is just my personal experience but what happened to me can also happen to you.

I am willing to reply to any commentary any of the people of this forum might have. I also have all the evidence about what I posted in this thread. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I don't think that when you buy a luxury watch that cost 8100 US dollars, you need to get a defective watch instead.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 15, 2012

Hi Miguel, did you find out from your AD what the problem was with the watch? These new movements, Cal 8500 and Cal 9300 have actually been extremely reliable since their release with a lot of Speedmaster 9300s floating around now so I feel terrible for you having to deal with one that was bad

3. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Aug 15, 2012

Hi Miguel, welcome to the forum!

Sadly, with all things mechanical, sometimes things go wrong. You get defective Omegas, defective Rolexes, defective Patek Phillippes, you name it! Of course, it is extremely disappointing, and not a great way to start off your watch ownership, but the manufacturer has the right to put right their wrong. Hopefully your watch will give you years of trouble-free service from now on

Chris

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 15, 2012

BTW were you able to get in touch with Omega themselves about it independently of the AD? We've found that a few members that did have service issues had very good responses from Omega once they skipped the AD and contacted Omega SA in Switzerland directly to address their concerns

5. miguel Aug 15, 2012

Hi,

No. They didn't tell. My watch was sent to Switzerland for repair but they didn't tell me what went wrong. What really annoyed me was to pay for a defective watch with no opportunity for a physical replacement.

6. ulackfocus Aug 15, 2012

Hi Miguel. A mechanic once said to me: "Shit happens, and this time it happened to you." Not what you want to hear, but true. You're experience is not one we come across often, but certainly possible with any brand or product. Don't know why it wasn't replaced immediately though. The dealer might not have had another in stock and was instructed to send it in.

7. miguel Aug 15, 2012

I contacted OMEGA itself first and asked for a replacement (I just had 4 days with it !) and they didn't resolve my issue. Yes, they always said that the watch was going to be repaired, but think about it! Most items you buy somewhere else you can return them in a period of time (even if it is just because you didn't like them), so it was a surprise to me that it is impossible to do it with an OMEGA watch. I just wanted my watch to be replaced

8. miguel Aug 15, 2012

I contacted the AD, they said that the issue should be solved by OMEGA, not themselves. They had another one in stock but it seems that once they get the money, neither the AD nor OMEGA care about anything

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 15, 2012

Honestly if you had a problem that early on its an extremely rare and unlucky occurrence particularly on one of these and I think if you were dealing with an Omega boutique perhaps rather than a smaller AD you might have had a better service experience, I'd definitely get in touch with Omega SA in Switzerland and outline your concerns and your experience with the watch and the AD and see what they say, in the last few years they've been going to rather great lengths to improve customer satisfaction, and provide a really good experience to clients through their boutiques and I'm sure they would want to know about your difficulties.

10. ulackfocus Aug 15, 2012

I can see why you feel like that. How would you feel if you sent a watch to a high end brand and had to wait 15 months for it to return? That's what it takes for JLC to do restorations on vintage pieces.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 15, 2012

BTW which model did you get, and how are you liking it since getting it back?

12. miguel Aug 15, 2012

Thank you for your advice,
    Do you have any recommendation about how to contact them?
    I tried to do it from the official web site but my concerned was received and forwarded to swatch group USA as I live in USA. Then my watch and my concern seem that went to Switzerland but apparently they decided not to replace the watch

13. miguel Aug 15, 2012

I got the chrono 9300 orange bezel, orange strap. It feels good, no doubt about its great design. But I wouldn't do it again. And definitely, my next watch is NOT going to be an OMEGA

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 15, 2012

15. alam Aug 15, 2012

I'm not familiar with the 9300 Chrono model as my only two modern Omegas are the SMP 2254.50 and the Speedmaster 3570.50 - I bought both of them new and have not experienced any problems with any of them. :thumbsup: I have owned the SMP for almost four years and the Speedy for almost one. Well, if I find myself in the scenario that you just described --a brand new and expensive item that fails to work after four days-- I would simply return it and get my money back! Not sure where you reside, but where I live there are cosumer laws that protect us against situations like that. The AD does not want to cooperate? I simply return the watch and let the folks from my CC Dispute Department deal with them ::book:: I have never lost a dispute with my CC :D

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 15, 2012

I would have called the credit card company and filed a chargeback case - for a brand new 4 day old watch anything less than a full refund or replacement would be unacceptable.

17. miguel Aug 15, 2012

I agree with you. This is unacceptable

18. Steve Aug 15, 2012

Really you should have demanded an immediate replacement. You would if it where a shirt or a pair of jeans !.

19. miguel Aug 15, 2012

I did. They didn't care. They said OMEGA should have fixed the issue. OMEGA people on their part said the only thing they could do for me was to fix the watch

20. Steve Aug 15, 2012

Strange way to do business ?. In the UK by law there is a 28 day returns policy. Hope its all sorted now, and you're happy with your watch ?. Maybe a few pics here will reignite your love for your watch ?.