Forums Latest Members

PO 8500.. Getting tired of the Orange..

1. Moswissa May 15, 2016

The orange bezel on my PO 8500 was the selling point for this watch. I really loved it as it really made this watch pop. Its been over 6 months with this watch and im starting to feel like the orange is overwhelming me, especially with short sleeved shirts. I get lots of compliments but I occasionally still get the "why orange" from some people.

I know they sell grey/black replacement bezels at omega for a whopping $650 (not happening). Im not rich like most of you guys and this is my only expensive watch. I have seen aftermarket bezel inserts which I am okay with getting as long as it fits and its functional and wont cause any damage to my watch.

The problem with this watch as most of you guys know is the PITA it is to remove the bezel. its not submariner or SMP where it easily pops out with a knife. This bezel is tight.. I asked omega and they refused to install the aftermarket insert on (duh). some even refused to install on original omega bezel on and said it would void the warranty.. ok! lol

I was thinking about doing it myself using this tool here on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Plane...175478?hash=item2eeefedbf6:g:c~gAAMXQ1ZhTjedOPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I havent found any tutorial videos for this particular watch. I did read some horror stories of people scratching this case and causing some damage.. I dont watch that to happen. I went to some local watch repair shops and both of them acted as if they can do it but claimed that it would be their first time on a PO 8500. I dont wanna deal with them scratching my watch..

now im not going to buy another PO so that's not an option, and Im not paying for a new omega bezel and have them install it

Any suggestions.

Thanks

2. tyrantlizardrex May 15, 2016

Maybe give it a little more time before making snap decisions?

You're talking about doing something that I doubt anyone here would agree with...

Hands90, Nitzbar and OMGRLX like this.
  3. Canuck May 15, 2016

Well! As an owner of that particular watch, you are the envy of a LOT of people! Stick with it, and ignore the "why orange" crowd! On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if you received a barrage of private messages from posters here, offering to buy it off your wrist! If that were to happen, I'll bet you'd opt to stick with it!

tikkathree likes this.
  4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 15, 2016

I completely understand where you're coming from. I can tell you this much based on any experience. You will switch it and love the gray...and after a little while decide you miss the orange and then eventually switch it again....and then you will lean towards gray again. It's normal because both version look great within context. I have a similar issue with my black bay heritage. I sometimes would love to wear it on a red bezel, but I got the black because eI am on the classic side and I can always accent a with by switching the strap to make is anything I want. But each time I see the red bezel I think...that would be cool to wear.

What I'm saying it, it's not about how to switch it once, it's coming up with a system or else don't even start the process.

Co-axial, tikkathree and Foo2rama like this.
  5. billyblue May 15, 2016

I was in the same situation as you are now. I waited for a bezel to pop up in the sales section, happily paid around 250€ for the grey bezel and went to the next best watchmaker to do the swap. Please don't try to do it yourself, it won't work out. Ever! Tipped him 20€ for removing it again as the bezel didn't hit the indexes 100%. It's a bit hit and miss with the alignment. You won't regret it.

tikkathree likes this.
  6. Moswissa May 15, 2016

EXACTLY! I know I would want to switch it back and fourth which is why I wish I can do it myself. It would be a PITA to goto a watchmaker everytime I want to switch colors. grrrrr

7. Moswissa May 15, 2016

wont regret switching it? I need to find a watchmaker.. and why would it not hit the indexes if its on original omega bezel?

billyblue likes this.
  8. Moswissa May 15, 2016

Well people and their opinions arent bothering me that much. I just would like to switch it up at times and have the flexibility to change between colors.

9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 15, 2016

I'm on my way :D

IMG_7584.jpg

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 15, 2016

Same as with the rolex bezels, or any bezels. You have to make sure you place the insert aligned with the indexes because basically the insert will go in in any position and it may not line up. In the case of Rolex I've learned the triangle has to be equidistant between two of the bezel "teeth". Iv'e never switched an omega bezel myself, I had one done at the Boutique when one of the spring bars broke. (they did it for free

OMGRLX likes this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 15, 2016

So you can see the bezel under water.

OMGRLX likes this.
  12. Moswissa May 15, 2016

yeah orange is one of the first colors that fade underwater. lol
    I remember the AD told me orange is one of the last colors the human eye can see deep underwater, that is false. it is a nice color though I love the watch but I wish i could switch around the bezel colors

tikkathree and Foo2rama like this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 15, 2016

My Orange 3313 goes in and out of my rotation... I do wear it alot more in the summer though. Some days I think I need to get rid of it, but most days I am thankful I have it.

IMHO the Orange PO's are pretty iconic, to watch people they scream Omega from the otherside of a football stadium, to non watch people they are interesting, and the orange compliments the watch well. In my experience it gets the right kind of attention, watch guys love/respect it, and non watch people will not judge you, unlike a certain other diving watch out there. Lets face it, sometimes you want more then an SKX, and other days the Speedy Pro is just not right.

My feeling is that it is slightly flashy, but not annoyingly so, a little fun but still serious all at the same time. The Orange PO's are just a little different and I think that it is a good thing.

tikkathree, solesman and nixf6 like this.
  14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 15, 2016

• Red - 15ft

• orange - 25ft

• Yellow - 35-45ft

• Green - 70-75ft
    [​IMG]

billyblue likes this.
  15. Baz9614 May 15, 2016

Love my Orange PO, but I do rotate it out with a couple others. Maybe try a couple new straps? They can really change the presentation of a watch and won't break the bank!:thumbsup: image.jpg

Starman71, Alpha, NT931 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 15, 2016

Get a selection heavily tinted glasses. Will probably work out cheaper and be more convenient :cool:

savio.79 likes this.
  17. serdal22 May 15, 2016

Now I LOVE "ORANGE"!

Serdal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meganfox17 and OMGRLX like this.
  18. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise May 15, 2016

you beat me to it!
    this guy seems to really not like his PO...
    suggestion: get a rolex, and after a few months, go to the rolex forums and go tell them all about what's wrong with that rolex... :D

rbob99 and meganfox17 like this.
  19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 15, 2016

Megan you know I respect you and all but WTF are you trying to accomplish here? I'm not sure you're being fair to the OP here. Remember how it feels to be on the receiving end of the stick before you play Internet CIA. The OP is here talking about the bezel. What he or she may have posted before is besides the question.

Edited May 15, 2016
  20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 15, 2016

Oh god! I think you're slightly failing at that job description. Rest well agent provocateur.