Forums Latest Members

Ploprof Case Orientation - the (disputed) final word

1. photo500 Feb 6, 2019

Hi All,
    It's been ages since I've had a good look around the forum so please excuse me if this has indeed been covered before...

Now with full access to the Omega Extranet I can finally settle an old argument. For years, examples of ‘upside down’ or reversed Ploprof’s have been around. The general consensus had been that they were modified to be that way or even worse, a Watchmaker put them back together after service incorrectly....which is hard to fathom because the date disc is different between the crown at 9 and crown at 3 versions.

So with that in mind, YES, I can confirm that both versions were manufactured by Omega. There is even a way to tell the configuration of the watch when it left the factory.

In the first photo you’ll see what is considered the correct orientation, crown at 9, or left. Note the Omega engraving inside the case back, it is triangle shaped and is the right way up.

Now look at the second photo, you’ll see the triangle is also the right way up but the case is reversed, or in the crown at 3 position.

So the triangle always orients the case....original crown at 3 position watches and those that have been converted later on will now be relatively easy to confirm.

fullsizeoutput_589a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_5898.jpeg

RawArcher, karatekid, marco and 6 others like this.
  2. ConElPueblo Feb 6, 2019

I've seen the issue of the caseback text covered before and I'd like to ask - I have no dog in this fight, so to say - if you are certain that this upside-down engraving is an intentional design choice by Omega and not just a quirk of production? And if it really is so (a separate, intentional variation), why doesn't it have an unique reference number? As you say, the date disc would have to be different between the two variations, so in order to find the correct part you'd assume that Omega made a distinction between the two cases.

Or do you have some sort of confirmation from Omega themselves that this is the way to distinguish between the two, identically named references?

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 6, 2019

Good Questions in my opinion.....

We are talking about a Swiss company here... there has to be some documentation on a material list somewhere ......

Good Hunting

bill

Thrasher36 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  4. photo500 Feb 6, 2019

This is information directly from the Omega Extranet, their in-house computer reference system, I have an Omega authorised workshop....

'The Ploprof with case ref. 166.0077 exists in 2 versions. One with crown at 3 o’clock and one with crown at 9 o’clock.
    The engraving in the caseback is the only reference point to tell which version you should have. The triangular OMEGA engraving is always facing up.'

KingCrouchy, Civic4982, marco and 8 others like this.
  5. pascs Feb 6, 2019

Good to see that confirmed from Omega, I'm intending to buy a Ploprof at some point in the near future and had been wondering that very point about the cases.
    I picked up a nice Ploprof dial as a spare last year so i have a start :p

blubarb and photo500 like this.
  6. alam Feb 6, 2019

Interesting. I assume both the case and caseback have the same part number ( meaning for both variants) right? So the difference would be the thread configuration on the case? caseback? In order to achieve the desired position of the triangle?

::confused2::

Edited Feb 6, 2019
    BenBagbag likes this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 6, 2019

Well, actually, there is no caseback. It's just a stainless steel brick with a hole in the front.

8. alam Feb 6, 2019

agh! now makes sense! thx!

Thrasher36 and BenBagbag like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 6, 2019

Will both cases fit each configuration....

10. trash_gordon Feb 6, 2019

Both cases fit each configuration. It's only the stamp inside that case that is different. You just need a regular datedisc for cal 1002 to set it to righthand crown.

11. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 6, 2019

Hi guys

I just still find this odd. It almost like they rewrote history .... if there were two configurations and you need different date wheels . It would have been documented when these were produced . There would have Been some mention in hard copy material lists .

Just to restate this I find it odd ... I would love to ask John Diethelm “ the computer “ as he was working there at the time .....

Bill

12. trash_gordon Feb 6, 2019

I didn't mention that these where regular in both ways…just wanted to clear that the case is 1:1 the same only the stamp is upside down.

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 6, 2019

Well if there are two date wheels. What else would the different date wheel fit besides a upside down polprof

14. trash_gordon Feb 6, 2019

One datewheel is for the leftsided crown because you need to turn the dial 180° and then the regular datewheel would not be exactly in the window. The other ones are just the regular ones for all cal. 1000 watches with rightsided crowns.

15. Vintagewtchzilla Feb 6, 2019

i still don't believe it cuz one can't operate the bezel (one handed) with the upside down config :thumbsup:

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 6, 2019

So is the date wheel that is needed for the reverse to normal only suitable for a reverse polprof ?

17. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 6, 2019

One of these, seen in l/h and r/h configuration.
    21120-bd4bb005e58a5fdf7fc26ecabff2b88f.jpg

18. trash_gordon Feb 6, 2019

Yes

19. pascs Feb 6, 2019

As well as the silver date disc, there is also a yellow date disc listed with the stem at 9 for the 1000 series movements so maybe there are other watches with it

photo500 likes this.
  20. Kieren Feb 6, 2019

http://www.ploprof.com/PloProf.html

seems to me the "inverse/reverse" proplof is a myth, a result of servicing by someone who cant obtain the correct date disc for the 1660077