Forums Latest Members
  1. d6diver Dec 10, 2018

So, I was just gifted a vintage PlofProf that is is really good condition that has spent the last 20+ years in a drawer. The original owner was a dive instructor back in the 70's and his son who also one passed it to me (also a dive instructor) because he knew "you will appreciate it"(I'm also a dive instructor, so it's whole passage has been among dive instructors). I tried hard to explain the value of it (money and as a family thing) but he insisted. I ended up insisting on a trade so gave him a couple rifles that I don't appreciate and he will. I still feel I got the better end of this.

Good news, it actually runs when I move it around.

The bad, the date in the date window is misaligned. From my reading I am guessing that at some time it got serviced and the movement replaced with a standard 1002. Can anybody point me in the direction of a proper date wheel for the proper orientation of crown on left?

Also, the locknut turns but regardless of which direction the crown doesn't come out. Can I confirm that to have the crown come out you turn the locknut counter clockwise?

The plastic press button for the bezel is well faded, I am not sure if I will get it replaced when I get it serviced or not, but wouldn't mind a spare on hand, so if anyone can point me in that direction..

My plan at this time is to get it serviced by not refurbished as it really is in excellent cosmetic condition. The face and hands are excellent, the case and band with no scars and just very light scratching. The crystal has a couple small scratches and I am leaning to a sapphire one from 7oceans. The bezel is scratched lightly all over but not hazed and that will not get touched.

I'm fully aware of how lucky I am. I must admit, I have a bond seamaster that I bought when working in the islands for 5 years as a Instructor that I got serviced by Omega in 2001 and it came back looking new, and rarely worn since. (yes, knowing what I do now I reduced the value of it.. LOL, but really will never sell anyhow). My daily beater the last dozen years has been a Tissot Seastar that is beaten to crap which I now see "borrowed" the bezel shape and side design from the ProfPro.

Thanks for reading

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PC100490.JPG PC100492.JPG
    Edited Dec 10, 2018
    Etp095, JanV and Dash1 like this.
  2. d6diver Dec 10, 2018

Update- threw on wrist and it started running, rolled past midnight and next date popped in perfect, so I guess somehow it stopped during a date change. So at least not going to be looking for a proper datewheel, so maybe it is the original movement inside.

Still the crown wont budge and unsure how or if I want to try and force it.

It also was dead on to the second in a 5 minute timed to digital stopwatch.. neat.

Etp095 and duc like this.
  3. d6diver Dec 12, 2018

Did I say something wrong?

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 12, 2018

It needs to be serviced by a qualified watchmaker. Where are you located, we can recommend someone . I’d also not trust it’s water resistance at all. What exactly do you want to know about it?

d6diver likes this.
  5. d6diver Dec 12, 2018

the crown question, it isnt coming out and while I "think" the locknut should be turned counter clockwise to release, it spins freely but either way doesn't release crown.

I am in ATlanta. Would love any recommendations of who to bring to

6. BenBagbag Dec 12, 2018

Amazing watch. Love the history. Congrats.

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 12, 2018

Hello. Welcome to OF.

Yes, turn the crown counter clockwise to release crown. Normal operation would have it pop out, then you have to pull once for setting date, and then one more time for setting time.

I sent mine to @photo500 for servicing. I am in California and he is in Australia. This was a couple years back. He does outstanding work.

Also, check out this thread.

upload_2018-12-12_16-43-1.png

Etp095, Civic4982, STANDY and 2 others like this.
  8. toddle321 Dec 12, 2018

I've only had one of these so I'm not an expert, but I think if you keep turning the crown will pop out. I remember having to turn it more than i thought necessary. Apologize if this is bad advice, it was a while back

Edited Dec 12, 2018
    d6diver likes this.
  9. d6diver Dec 12, 2018

Has anyone here tried the 7 Oceans sapphire Crystal? Thoughts on?

Yes, I know that it isn't original but I'll keep the Original. I want to use the watch on occasion and yeah, do a couple dives wit (shortly after servicing and pressure testing.. then again, I have a watch pressure tester anyhow for dive computers.. so I can test myself..down the road post servicing and testing by an actual watchmaker.

I did get a quote to service at $599 from a shop in South Florida and he recommended against polishing, which was good, however he would not install anything but Omega parts. He knew the watch or researched before he called me ack anyhow.

Etp095 likes this.
  10. JACK G Dec 14, 2018

Welcome to the forum.

I have had a few of these but would not call myself an expert.

Red button assemblies available on ebay......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382230174927Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The crown assembly has an inner spring which might have failed. Try unscrewing and pulling the crown out at the same time. Sounds difficult but is possible.

The crown assembly looks like pic below but the spring is within and not usually seen.

[​IMG]

This is an exploded view of a Ploprof - apologies for poor quality.

[​IMG]

As already discussed have it serviced but not polished, keep the original red button and enjoy your watch.

Etp095, d6diver and Dash1 like this.
  11. Dash1 Dec 14, 2018

Why not replace with a genuine Omega crystal? Still available afaik.
    If you use it for diving you run the risk of water getting under the bezel insert and ruining it, it’s too nice condition to risk in my opinion. Nice watch.

Etp095 likes this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 14, 2018

i would not skimp a cent on a full service if I was gifted one of these.

For this watch another vote for @photo500.

Etp095 and d6diver like this.
  13. d6diver Dec 14, 2018

Thank you very much!

14. d6diver Dec 14, 2018

Because I didn’t know if the original was still avail., the one on it needs cleaning but I suspect would come out very nice. However the idea that I could wear it and have the sapphire crystal on and put back the original at some future date were it to be tucked away again. Plus Ploprof.com both recommends it and alludes to the original crystal being quite susceptible to scratches. I know from my day job that mineral is also stronger for depth. Life is trade offs.

While I am fully aware that it is worth looking after, it is also among the most tool of tool watches and in a weird way I think if I wore now and then for some diving it is appropriate. Yes, aware that is running a risk as well. Your point on water under the bezel insert is a valid one. Will take into consideration

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 14, 2018

Wear for a bit and enjoy but service is what it needs. Week or two max ( if you start anything after 20 years with dried up oils and wear it you are damaging the parts inside )

No water until a service and pressure test.

If you dive with this the seals need to be looked at every 2 years with a pressure test also.

A crystal is available and the original would be returned ( not that you would ever use it again.

Maybe a tool watch but these are pulling big money in the great condition yours looks.

All my dive watch get seals replaced and pressure tested every 2 years image.jpeg
    ( so I can store them in the fish tank for laughs when friend with kids come over )

image.jpeg
    Etp095 likes this.
  16. d6diver Dec 14, 2018

Love the fish tank idea.

My plan was not to daily wear it but bring on a few dives and get some action shots. Like a mile back in a cave (teach cave) and on a fresh water deep wreck(it won’t get a salt dive..just in case). Agree with your recommendations

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 14, 2018

Once it's serviced and pressure tested you can take the thing 600m deep if you want ;)

Once the service is done, strap it on and abuse it like a tool watch should be. Saltwater, sand, mud whatever.

d6diver likes this.
  18. d6diver Dec 14, 2018

it's unlikely to exceed 150m or so on my wrist, I'm getting old.

STANDY likes this.
  19. d6diver Aug 2, 2019

Well, it's been some time and I finally got it serviced. The watchmaker was a bit surprised I didn't want it polished but was great to work with.

It had the black goo gasket, thankfully none got on the face. I had the sapphire crystal installed and a new crown and red pusher,also had him test the water resistance twice :). I got back and will keep the original of course. I wanted a new crown because this puppy is going diving now and then, starting tomorrow and then every now and then likely. The watchmaker seemed to feel that I was crazy to want to dive such a valuable watch.. maybe, but that is what it is made for and I am the third owner, all of us having been dive instructors..so..

plof3.jpg plof4.jpg plof1.jpg plof7.jpg plof8.jpg plof9.jpg plof10.jpg plof6.jpg
    whyboddau, Dr No, Spacefruit and 6 others like this.
  20. Civic4982 Aug 2, 2019

Gorgeous and glad your watchmaker got it back in top shape. I’m just beginning to source parts on mine and excited to be where you are I. A few months.

d6diver likes this.