Forums Latest Members
  1. vitriol May 16, 2019

Hi all,
    While I have zero vintage watches, I am a huge fan of the dive watches and would like to educate myself in this matter.
    Especialy interested in SM300 and Ploprof.

I found these watch blogs,

That Watch and More: Buying a Vintage Omega Seamaster 300

Omega Ploprof Seamaster 600 | Collector's Guide | Omega Passion

For my untrained eye both blogs do look like the brilliant, comprehensive sources, but I know next to nothing about the old watches.
    What is your opinion about those?

Thanks for your time.

2. brinsmead May 17, 2019

By and large Arne Rasmussen write up on the 300 is correct and very informative, but as you may realise as the years roll by, more detailed information becomes available and most of it is found here on this website.

In the detail he doesn’t mention the two case manufacturers, later re-manufactured parts are different to original and his reasoning with regard to purchasers of a 300 being offered a strap as an alternative to a bracelet here in AU doesn’t hold true in my case.

Benbradstock likes this.
  3. vitriol May 18, 2019

Thank you @brinsmead. Yes, I realise it is 6 year old.
    Since my OP, I noticed that "T solo T" (former OF member I guess) has founded "omegapassion" and its latest chapter is dedicated to SM300
    https://www.omegaseamaster300.com/
    He even did mention about the watch for Canadian Army, which is a new thing for me. I used to think only British Royal Navy have had a military version.

4. brinsmead May 18, 2019

Thankyou Vitriol, a very graphic and interesting website, designed and reminicent in an auction house formula, this will add to a purchasers
    ammunition in purchasing a 300

On a side note isn’t it pity that with websites like this and with digital technology and with every high resolution image projected it makes it easier for the forgers to do their job, I’m amazed at the exactness of dial reproduction for example.

Benbradstock likes this.
  5. vitriol May 20, 2019

You might had already seen this thread(?)
    Seems to be a promising collaboration :)

Seamaster Only Book Announcement

6. brinsmead May 20, 2019

I had been following that vitriol,
    I find reading books can be little tedious for me, I can get more involved in reading on the Internet…..that said if I was younger and was an Omega Seamaster 300 collector, Yes I would definitely buy as a reference.
    I am a very much a 300 aficionado
    Having the good fortune to keep the original parts from my 300, which were returned after an official Omega service
    ( and what I’ve learnt from members here ) has gone into refitting those original parts.
    It’s satisfying that I could restore its originality.
    Omega service, well for the life of me I’ll never understand why they would replace perfectly good serviceable parts.

Benbradstock and 77deluxe like this.
  7. brinsmead May 22, 2019

Its the small things that delight, my 166.024 SP ( Special ) now with original (6mm) low dome Hesalite Crystal 166.024 SP. (Special).jpg

Edited May 22, 2019
  8. brinsmead May 24, 2019

Finally in closing this here, I would like to thank Al the Watchmaker who’s infinite knowledge he has imparted various threads has enabled me to finish restoring my watch back to its former glory, thanks Al