Forums Latest Members
  1. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Oct 18, 2015

Wondering if some of you could chime in on this Omega Ploprof 600? It is currently listed on eBay with a BIN of $5500. Curious as to what others think might be going on here.

Listing at http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-SEAMA...068449?hash=item419d9b33a1:g:4WcAAOSw37tWEEMHPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The two big questions I have are:

- What's up with the yellow inner ring? I asked the seller and he said it was given a new brass rehaut during service for reasons of which he was not aware. Odd......but he seems to be a non-watch guy, so maybe this would fly by him unquestioned.

- Is the MK1 dial too perfect? Restored? Relumed? He says in the listing it was rarely used. Privately, he said he asked for a new dial during service in 1993 and showed me the receipt....which looks legit. Possible it could be an early replacement with a new MK1. In any case, is it possible an MK1 can look this good without human help?

Yellow ring aside......I like the looks of it + comes with legit old isofrane, I believe.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.....

Tom

s-l1600.jpg

2. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Oct 18, 2015

Bad post?
    Lame questions?
    Unworthy enough example to earn a critique?
    Too few Ploprof fans?
    The 24 "watchers" of this watch on eBay are OF members and want me to stop drawing attention to it?

Humor me, please!

morethan1 likes this.
  3. redpcar Oct 18, 2015

25 ;)
    I don't think there are enough owners/former owners watching the list right now. I wish I could answer intelligently but I can't :(

4. Cubanchem Oct 19, 2015

Cannot comment on the inner ring, but the hour hand was replaced with a later type. Minute and seconds look OK. Dial is crystallizing, where the dye precipitates out over time (the little bumps in the dial). Not a deal breaker but more will come out over time and can get knocked off. That is why they changed dial types (or at least on reason). Here is mine, all original and untouched. Was my grandfather-in-law's so I know the provenance well.$5500 seams like a steal, especially if it has an original Isofrane

PloProf-1.jpg
    RawArcher likes this.
  5. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Oct 19, 2015

Thanks for jumping in Cubanchem and welcome to OF! Nice watch too!

I am aware of the bubbling effect that most of these mk1's develop, but to my eye, this one has very limited deterioration compared to what is usually seen. The lume looks very fresh too. My question was/is, and I see nothing of this on the internet, were there mk1 service replacements (as opposed to the more common mk3 replacements) and does this look like one in original form? Thanks.

6. watchlovr Oct 19, 2015

The case and bezel look off to me.
    I'll need to check Jon's book in the morning.

RawArcher likes this.
  7. Cubanchem Oct 19, 2015

The crown guard is the earliest version, I think some Comex models had the "teeth" that you don't see on mine. As far as I know and seen, all replacement dials are the more modern style that don't bubble (Mark 3 and 4). But it's your money, so good luck.
    PS. If you could get a photo without the bezel, that would be very telling. The ball bearings used for rotation will let you know if early or late model, which would then be suspect with that dial and hand set.

RawArcher likes this.
  8. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Oct 19, 2015

Thanks. I have read and reread his site a hundred times but guess I need to get the book. The case and bezel look good to me, but admittedly, I have a very untrained eye at this point.