Forums Latest Members

Please your advice: Cal. 501 and minty 1969 Constellation 564

1. krogerfoot Sep 13, 2018

Two items from a Japanese seller that I've dealt with positively before. Please let me know how wrong my interest is in these watches.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-Seam...510342?hash=item41ecf76486:g:0PIAAOSw7BNbd7I9Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    s-l1600-8.jpg
    Movement photos don't reveal the serial number. If I'm deciphering the stamp on the inside caseback correctly, the watch was last serviced at the end of the Elvis Presley era. Seems handsome, but I don't know anything about this model, or anything.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Condi...946919?hash=item41eceecba7:g:micAAOSwrORbkyn2Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    s-l1600-9.jpg
    The asking price is close to $2K USD, which, I don't know. It's a crispy watch and I could talk myself into it as a birthyear present to myself, or something to be buried wearing. As above, these both seem nice to me and I'm wondering what I'm overlooking. Please your advice.

Edited Sep 13, 2018
    Jerseyhammer likes this.
  2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 13, 2018

Second one not a Connie.
    Best to change the title to Seamaster chronometer.

3. krogerfoot Sep 13, 2018

Sorry, misuploaded the second photo. Thank you.

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 13, 2018

I'm rather glad that you posted the Constellation as it happens.
    Its serial dates it around '71 not '69 - which is important
    If this was from anywhere but Japan, I think you'd get comments such as "the movt is from a C-case"

However, @No Mercy recently posted a similar (even later) Connie for sale - with an extract.
    Delivered to Japan.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/197...act-bor-bracelet-pie-pan-dial-serviced.81960/

This certainly confused me, as I thought they finished '69/'70.

After a bit of digging (and a conversation with @mondodec ) it turns out that 'Version 1' dogleg pie-pans were delivered to Japan as late as the mid-seventies, so the one you've posted is likely correct.
    (the got their own 'Version 2' special from around '74)

Comparing it to the one for sale on OF, I think the eBay watch has seen a little polishing and it has the wrong crown but a nice watch all the same.

sdre and ConElPueblo like this.
  5. krogerfoot Sep 13, 2018

Right about the star on the second watch. I looked right past that, and my CRS was obviously flaring up again with the serial number. But interesting to know that this kind of Constellation was being shipped to Japan even as they were being superseded elsewhere. Wish I could edit the title of the post.

What am I missing about the first watch?

6. kaisiang098 Sep 13, 2018

Well for the first watch, the case, crown and caliber is correct for its reference number and the font with the Clothes hanger "S" looks pretty good, though i have not seen this particular dial configuration with the circle going around the minute track