Forums Latest Members
  1. dialstatic Mar 29, 2017

...because I kinda feel like I should have. The description was only 'Omega watch' and these 3 photos. It was offered online by a local auction house, as one of the lots from an estate.

I stumbled on it precisely 4 minutes before the end, and in that time still had to register for the site and do my due diligence. When I was done, there were literally 7 seconds left on the clock.

I hesitated, and didn't bid.

IMG_5155.JPG IMG_5156.JPG IMG_5157.JPG

To my n00b eyes, it's some sort of CK 2998. It ended up going for €4700 excluding auction costs and VAT. Including these costs, it was some €5890, which converts to $6340 USD.

Did someone just get a steal, or did I narrowly escape from a money pit?

Edited Mar 29, 2017
    watch3s likes this.
  2. Davidt Mar 29, 2017

Not a huge amount to go on there, but I'd have bought it for that.

Case looks reasonable.
    Dial is correct (assuming it's a 2998) although possibly had a bad relume. Even if it has, it's still a buy. Hands look correct and bezel is correct but worn.

A new crystal, clean and service will do a lot fir that. If it has been relumed and needs redoing there's still headroom. It hangs together well so I'd be reasonably confident that it's worth gambling on the movement being original at that price.

Actually, I'd have jumped on that.

3. neilfrancis Mar 29, 2017

*clenches teeth, stares at it for 4 minutes*

If I had had the funds I would have bid... DON bezel alone worth, what, 33% of the selling price?

watch3s, OMGRLX, Etp095 and 1 other person like this.
  4. smitty190373 Mar 29, 2017

wow.. me too!

OMGRLX and dialstatic like this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 29, 2017

My gut is telling me even worst case someone got a deal.

Mark020 and dialstatic like this.
  6. dialstatic Mar 29, 2017

Yeah, I was afraid you'd say that.

Now I'll just have to convince myself that the winning bidder's maximum bid would have been far higher than this anyway :whistling:

7. smitty190373 Mar 29, 2017

hands and dial are worth more alone

OMGRLX, Spacefruit and dialstatic like this.
  8. rcs914 Mar 29, 2017

Sold for probably half FMV would be my guess, but this is outside my wheelhouse. Value could be far higher.

In fairness though, even knowing that information if I had done the same thing I doubt I would have bid either. My wife would go through the roof.

dialstatic likes this.
  9. Amaza Mar 29, 2017

Dial and hands have strange greenish color, like if they were relumed but their status would suggest quite a long aging. Kinda contradicrory. I wouldn't know how to price it, though.

dialstatic likes this.
  10. nixf6 Mar 29, 2017

I would off jumped on it.You missed a very good deal.There will be other opportunities , as the quest continues.

OMGRLX, MaiLollo and dialstatic like this.
  11. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 29, 2017

$6300 USD. Well worth the gamble.

Edited Mar 29, 2017
    JohnSteed, MikiJ, KstateSkier and 3 others like this.
  12. dialstatic Mar 29, 2017

Not that it contains much information (...or any, really) but for the record, here's the link: http://www.nvlussis.com/nl/d/item/lot-141-175-nalatenschap/herenuurwerk-omega

Thanks for saying so. I had never even heard of the auction house, and 4 minutes is not a lot of time to register and check out the legitimacy of the organisation and the authenticity of the watch (...especially without my signed copy of the new MWO book ::book::). Still, I chickened out and I'll have to live with that :oops:

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. Amaza Mar 29, 2017

Well, don't torture yourself. Last time I didn't check sufficiently before bidding, I ended up buying a watch from auctionata the same day the decleared the cease of the activities. [emoji27]

Finally, there may have been some unexploited value in this watch but it looks quite bad to me and to sell the parts it is quite of a work with its risks.

Flotho and dialstatic like this.
  14. Davidt Mar 29, 2017

I don't think you need to part this out. All the important parts are present. Ok we don't know about the movement, but I'd gamble in that in this instance. It's a coin flip about the lume from the pics, but even if it's been trowelled on and needs a sympathetic re-relume, you'd still be ahead and have a good daily wearer.

dialstatic likes this.
  15. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 29, 2017

The problem with a watch like this 2998 is that while it may be worth the money, it's not very attractive. Especially the dial. If you don't like it, makes no sense to buy it. Furthermore, if you haven't researched the watch properly, you were correct not to purchase it. The watch is a good deal for price paid if, and only if, it checks out. Lots of unknown variables regarding this watch. And no where to return it to if any of it is wrong. There will be others. Don't sweat your decision. Nothing worse than to spend thousands for an incorrect watch.

JohnSteed, jimmyjay, OMGRLX and 5 others like this.
  16. E-diddy Mar 29, 2017

I agree with @gemini4. You didn't miss out IMHO. Not an attractive offering. The chrono creep, lack of good pics (movement, dial) and the relume are all turn-offs.

MikiJ likes this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 29, 2017

You don't think the purchase price exceeds worst case scenario? $6300? I'm not doubting you I defer to your judgment.

Decent DON, straight lug case, "gasp" clean and relume, those hands!! Even if the case and movement is newer they have value.

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2017

:( Not trying to be mean, just honest. That ship has sailed

dialstatic likes this.
  19. ConElPueblo Mar 29, 2017

Hope this can be of some comfort - there's no telling if you would have won by putting in a bid higher than €4700 anyway. You may have saved the winning bidder a lot of money... His highest bid was probably quite a bit higher than what it ended up with costing.

Willem023, Mark020, dsenyos and 4 others like this.
  20. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 29, 2017

Damn, that's a tough one. I'm sure I would not have bid either given the circumstances, especially only 7 seconds. I'm thinking 30 seconds would be enough to talk myself into it though. :D

Take solace in the fact that this isn't the prettiest 2998 out there and it wasn't a Base 1000 bezel or lollipop.