Forums Latest Members

Please tell me about my 5513.

1. Dash1 Dec 7, 2017

Omega I know, Rolex - no clue. I've owned this 5513 for years but really don't know the first thing about it so any info on correctness would be welcome. Back is dated 1.66 and case serial no.1223***.
    Do the numbers match up?
    The bezel insert is broken but is it the correct one? It's not quite as blue as that in reality, more faded grey.
    I'm pretty sure the dial is the correct one, but do you think the lume could be original? It's quite pale, creamy white and has no return from a UV light source.
    I find the dial quite attractive but is this degradation a plus or a minus in the Rolex world?
    Thank you in advance.
    DSCF2005.JPG DSCF2004.JPG DSCF2010.JPG

2. Ramone Dec 7, 2017

Well, the numbers match up (or close enough), so that's fine. It appears to have a period-correct 'Bart Simpson' style gilt dial, but photo's are too poor for me to say anything other than it appears to be in 'fair to good condition'. Your insert is definitely not period-correct for this watch and considering it's also broken, there's no significant value there. Only the so-called 'fat fonts' are worth any serious money (this watch should have a mark 2 or 'long 5' fat font insert). Hope this helps a little.

Dash1 likes this.
  3. Ramone Dec 7, 2017

Also, to my best knowledge the lume on these dials should glow (at least briefly) when put under UV-light. It also looks a bit thin like you said, but again, hard to tell from these pics. It doesn't appear completely 'washed' either, so I would expect at least SOME reaction to UV-light.

Dash1 likes this.
  4. Dash1 Dec 7, 2017

SuperHero and watch3s like this.
  5. marturx Dec 7, 2017

Given the patina in the dial, one would have expected some on the markers too, no?

The insert doesn't look like a fat font to me, so likely later replacement. But I can be wrong. Easier when comparing them side by side

Dash1 likes this.
  6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 7, 2017

Love that watch.

Dial degradation kills it in the valuation, but it still has great value. In regards to the lume, it should return something from a UV. I am speaking from experience with my 66 Gilt GMT that glows like at torch under UV and has super puffy lume...they really piled it on back then. Those markers look more in line with a later 1960s early 70s flat waffle lume. That style lume however doesn't return anything or very little under UV...my 5513, 1675, 1680 all are dead.

Bezel doesn't look like a fat font.

It is a real looker, and one I would love to have on my wrist:)

I have never owned a gilt Sub, so am by no means an expert.

watch3s and Dash1 like this.
  7. wkimmd Dec 7, 2017

Wrong bezel, but busted anyway. Everything else looks correct. Nice gilty BS dial. Hard to tell because of the reflection but the “dial degradation” looks fairly even which makes it a looker. Needs a bit of work but overall has excellent value whether you decide to keep or sell.

Dash1 likes this.
  8. Dash1 Dec 7, 2017

Thanks guys, much appreciate all the input. I guess I need to shell out for a nice mkII insert - sounds expensive! :)

9. ICONO Dec 7, 2017

I absolutely bloody love this !!

A rare beast in the wild……wearing its scars with pride

Crown shoulders are good…Case is polished, but with shape…Dial to die for

But I think the hands are later & / or historically relumed and the bezel is wrong and ‘ Donald Duck’d’

Nothing that cannot be gently rectified with patience

watch3s, Dash1 and watchknut like this.
  10. Dash1 Dec 8, 2017

Thanks! I know I like the look of it but figured it might be a bit rough for Rolex collectors.
    Should the hands be gilt or silver?
    Also is there a way of checking the movement is correct for the year, like you can with Omega? Can't see a serial number. It is a 1520 though.

11. Traveler Dec 8, 2017

Have a look at @supermariobiz_watches on Instagram, he always has some. Expect to pay at least $1k though. Great looking watch anyway!

Dash1 likes this.
  12. ICONO Dec 8, 2017

The 1520 movement will have a number on the base plate……however since that can be changed out……it is not used to date the watch

Somewhere in the depths of Rolex records…there will be COSC paper to match the original 1520 movement…and accurately date it…but Rolex does not release this…Good luck asking them !

The case serial number between the lugs, is not the same as the movement number, as they are produced separately and only mated at the factory

Hands look correct for me - steel

watch3s and Dash1 like this.
  13. Dash1 Dec 8, 2017

Thanks for the lead. I contacted him but a MKII fat font is between 2100 and 2300 euros!

14. ICONO Dec 8, 2017

Still cheaper than the last DON bezel, I acquired....... !!

15. omegastar Dec 8, 2017

5513 movement is not a chronometer graded movement and sometimes has no serial number, sometimes has one.
    All chronometer grade mvts have a serial number, preceded by a D if it has a date, but again not always present in early models.

Dash1 likes this.
  16. Dash1 Dec 8, 2017

Too true!, but that was for an Omega, this is just a Rolex. :rolleyes: Whoops did I just stray on the wrong side of the tracks!:)

eugeneandresson and Traveler like this.
  17. omegastar Dec 8, 2017

An mk III insert would be acceptable and a much cheaper choice. With some patience you should be able to source a nice one between 500 and 1.000$. Look regularly on VRF Market and try to negotiate. Or if you feel qualified try evilBay.
    When looking at your watch, I have a feeling the lume have disappeared from the dial. The original hands should be steel and probably flat ones too. The original lume should glow after being exposed under strong light then looked at in total darkness, like in the toilets...

Dash1 likes this.
  18. BlueBoy Jan 2, 2018

Love this 5513 Ash :thumbsup:

Dash1 likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 2, 2018

Correct - 1520 is not COSC and I've personally never seen one with a movement serial number. I just went through photos for the last five of the 5513's I've serviced and none of the 1520's were numbered anywhere...

Dash1 likes this.
  20. SuperHero Jan 3, 2018

The 1570's movements are the chronometer and are in the 5512; a COSC version of the 5513. Most 5512 have 4 lines of text (stating its chronometer status) although I believe the earliest ones did not.

5513's came with 1520 or 1530 movements.