Forums Latest Members
  1. Majork May 5, 2017

Hi all,

I'm not very trigger happy when adding pieces to my collection, as I always intend to keep them.
    So I need a bit of time to contemplate my decision.
    At the moment I wear my 69 Speedy (bracelet and straps) and my Eterna Majetek in rotation.
    Occasionally I mix in my wifes Constellation, however it does not really fit my style personally.
    I dare to say it looks a bit like an "old men's watch" (no offense meant to old guys).

So I've always wanted a Heuer Camaro with silver dial partly as a dress watch and contrast to the two
    black dialed watches I already have. But prices for good example have just skyrocketed to a degree that I feel
    uncomfy paying Rolex money on a 77XX Heuer chrono.

So I'm looking for a white/silver dialed watch with the following attributes:
    - Tritium era (preferably pre 1990)
    - 37 - 40mm diameter
    - lume on dial
    - Stainless steel
    - preferably with a bracelet option (not a must)
    - preferably chrono, but no a must
    - I'd say less than $3.500 USD
    - brand name but not a Rolex

Maybe you folks have a few suggestions as I've seen vast knowledge on this board.
    Especially on brands I have not on my radar as much.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Regards
    M

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 5, 2017

Cal 861 Seamaster?

watch3s likes this.
  3. abrod520 May 5, 2017

Keep looking for a Camaro. People can ask what they want for a cam-lever Camaro, but even column-wheel models aren't trading much higher than your price range. The only Camaros I've seen trade higher are the truly rare panda versions. Check your PM for a potential lead too

I think there were still one or two on Classicheuer.de or Vintageheuer.com, and you could try a WTB post on the OnTheDash Heuer forum.

4. Jkuback May 5, 2017

Foo2rama and abrod520 adviced well, Cal 861 Speedy is an option and sticking to your plan will definitly make you happy.

If you are looking for alternatives (ideas) I would take a closer look on a nice Zenith Deluca. Really a nice watch and you can choose between Panda and Reverse Panda

5. Kja May 5, 2017

Speedmaster..

Blasphemy, but my favorite is the brietling 806 navitimer. That's the one I want!

6. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 5, 2017

How brand name does it have to be? Valjoux 77xx watches can be the coolest 70's watches out there if you are not handcuffed to the branding.
    I have been beating the bushes hard ever since I lost out on a Dugena that @Modest_Proposal had on Ebay.

7. Edward53 May 5, 2017

Breitling Top Time 810 Mk1 with Venus 178 movement.

NT931 and Majork like this.
  8. Davidt May 5, 2017

I agree with @abrod520. I think people are getting ahead of themselves when selling Camaros. Sellers are trying to apply the recent price hikes to anything and everything and I don't think it's quite filtered down to the later 2 registered Camaros. Yet.

Keep looking if that's what your hearts set on. A good one pops up every few months at a realistic price. They're great watches, and a great alternative to traditional round cased 60's chronos, without the heft of the 70's models.

IMG_0577.JPG

The so called 'poor mans Heuers' by Zodiac, Tradition, Hamilton and Clebar etc are also available with plain silver dials. They'll be well within your budget.

Edited May 6, 2017
  9. R3D9 May 5, 2017

At 36mm, it's slightly smaller than your state range, but the long lugs make it wear quite a bit larger. The Heuer 1964 Carerra reissue. There are a few different dial variants (white, black, reverse panda, etc.) but this one is my personal favourite:

https://shop.analogshift.com/products/heuer-carrera-reissue

I'm pretty sure these sell within your range.

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 5, 2017

861 Soccer Timer checks all the boxes.
    I couldn't say enough about how much I like mine or the compliments I receive.

Apologies to long-time members that are sick of hearing about it!

IMGP4062-1.jpg

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 5, 2017

Though it doesn't have lume on the dial I'd have a close look at the calibre 861 DeVille Prestige chronograph as they're extremely affordable and great watches that meet all of your other criteria.

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. Majork May 6, 2017

The most recent Camaro models I have been offered, which were in good or acceptable condition cost $5000 and above.
    While some of them might be within current market value, I still feel it's too much for that particular watch.

13. Davidt May 6, 2017

There's a difference in the asking price and selling price. The last 3 7730 Camaros I've seen on eBay auction that we're in ok condition, went around £2500 +/- a few hundred.

In a similar vein to the sp101 price chart, I'm sure many are asking $5000 and I'm sure some are selling, the the trader/collector value for ok 7730's is more like $3500-4000.

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. harrymai86 May 6, 2017

Whats about val 72 and 92? Just normal dials not exotic. Prices of camaro seem spike up alot :(

15. Davidt May 6, 2017

Latest vintage Heuer price guide is due out this month. I'd expect you can add around 1k for silver dial and slightly more for the noir dial.

16. Bluemartinifan May 6, 2017

Agree on the Camaro. Non exotic dials Can be had in the $4k range. Menta Watches has had Camaros listed in the past 3-4 months. I bought one and love it.

17. fc2 May 6, 2017

I'd go for a 861 Seamaster from the 70's. There you have several options and many of them come in funky color combinations as well. One alternative, although it might be too large, is the forgotten Speedmaster Mk III. But there we're talking wrist presence.

18. Majork May 6, 2017

I'm in Europe and therefore my feeling about the Camaro prices vary a bit from the US market.
    I will keep watching out for the Camaro.

I appreciate the input about other watches though as well :)

There have been a few great suggestions made! Keep 'em coming.

19. levkov May 6, 2017

First I took a deep breath, ready to list a bunch of watches.
    But then I remembered how many times I made a resolution to myself to go with my guts and stick with the first idea, so it'd probably be a good idea to stick with the Camaro.
    And now, to argue with what I just said: in my opinion Camaro's are a bit overpriced these days, considering for a similar sum you can get much finer movements (i.e. Valjoux 77xx vs. El Primero, or even Valjoux 72 in a lesser brand). Or much desirable models (like some others mentioned above the Navitimer 806 is still undervalued).
    Few ideas, other than the ones mentioned above (I especially agree with the Navitimer 806 or the 861 Seamasters/DeVille's):
    Zenith El Primero (i.e. the 01.0210.415 is still a lot underrated, mind you I might be biased owning one myself)
    60-70's Breitling chrono's (not just the 806, there's an ocean of funky shapes and colours)
    Recently I caught myself looking at the modern 80/90's UG Compaxes, I know they're not the same pedigree as the classics, but they'er excellent value and are based on the Lemania 1873 (=Omega 861)
    Although the case shape is not for everyone, and you mentioned you're after something of a better brand, (and again I might be biased since I own one myself), the but vintage Roamer Stingrays with Valjoux 72 are probably the cheapest v72 watches you'll find. And they look amazing on their NSA bracelet! :)
    IWC Fliegers?

Edward53 and Jkuback like this.
  20. Edward53 May 6, 2017

levkov likes this.