Forums Latest Members
  1. gophishin Aug 14, 2015

Thanks for the replies. I know I wouldn't want to hear me on the soap box so I decided to delete my original post. Mods, please feel free to delete if needed, my apologies. Have a great weekend everyone.

Edited Aug 14, 2015
  2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 14, 2015

You have to be careful with what you call "close but incorrect". Small parts can change contractors during a production run and specification may change slightly. There might also be an engineering change over the life of a part for many reasons that include better performance or lower cost. Sometimes the "right" part just isn't available that day and a substitute part is used to get the item completed and out the door.

These dealers might be trying to hose you or they might not. But something being a tiny bit different isn't always wrong.

Tom

jud and gophishin like this.
  3. gophishin Aug 14, 2015

Edited Aug 14, 2015
  4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 14, 2015

It's your money. Where and when you decide to spend it is up to you. If the watches you are offered do not meet your requirements of condition or originality, then just decline them. Most people buying from the dealers, these days couldn't tell a peach from a lemon and just buy a watch of which what they like the look. They are happy to pay the inflated price and the dealer keeps his fingers crossed that it works until his warranty runs out.. Most vintage dealers hate people who know what they are looking at because they ask questions, query small details and know the true market value.

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 14, 2015

Even the most reputable dealers can make a mistake, many sellers won't disclose unless asked (and some of those will promptly dissemble), still other sellers will be intentionally deceptive from the start. On top of that, there are genuine differences of opinion even among experts in some specifics of what is "correct". I accept all of that as part of the waters that must be navigated. To do otherwise is a recipe for frustration.

There is no substitue for doing your own research, and it does sound as though you are being very diligent in that regard. The times I've been burned (thankfully nothing irreversible - yet) are when I got lazy or jumped in on something impulsively where my knowledge was thin.

Edited Aug 14, 2015
  6. gophishin Aug 14, 2015

Edited Aug 14, 2015
  7. lillatroll Aug 14, 2015

It's your money and if it doesn't feel right then don't spend it and be extra careful when they offer you something, at the end of the day it is your judgement that is important because you are the one spending the money. If it turns out that you are wrong, well your watch will turn up again sometime down the line.

8. gophishin Aug 14, 2015

I know, and at the end of the day, nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. I was more curious, in general, if there is any sort of protocol or etiquette for when you know something is clearly wrong. I guess it comes down to the ultimate buyer should have done their due diligence.

9. lillatroll Aug 14, 2015

I suppose it is then about how you word your concerns. I think it you ask questions rather than accusations then it will hopefully get you the answers you are looking for. Nobody,who cares about their subject, minds a debate if they are genuinely interested in the topic. We can all disagree about stuff as long as it is on topic. The important thing is that the points of view are backed up with relevant arguments. If you have concerns then put them to the seller and say why. Hopefully the seller will respond in the same way.

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 14, 2015

It happens occasionally on a FS listing that someone gets called out, usually only in the most egregious of cases and those usually end badly. You could post pics of the watch and ask for opinions which has similar effect.. calling out a defect or shortcoming, but indirectly. There's penty of 'does this look right?' threads.

But ultimately, yeah, caveat emptor.

11. gophishin Aug 14, 2015

Well stated. In the case of today's watch I simply asked, "in your opinion, are the hands correct for this watch?"

I appreciate all of the replies, insight, and experience from you all. I decided that me talking from the soap box wasn't very productive to the community, and was negative, so I thought it might be best to delete my OP. Have a great (and positive) weekend!