Forums Latest Members
  1. DiegoAOMM Jun 17, 2016

Good day to all the Omega Forums community members.

My name is Diego, I live in Guadalajara, Mexico.

A few years back, I inherited an Omega Seamaster watch from my father, I really like the watch and am interested in knowing about it as much as possible. I started doing some research by myself, today I got the shell opened and took some pics of the inner mechanism, I got a serial number: 17458138 which means (according to a web site about Omega serial numbers, that it was assembled in 1960) it makes sense because my grandfather got the back of the shell engraved with some information like his name, his company name, and the year 1961. The strap is obviously not the original one. I got some other info from inside the watch: it has 24 jewels and it had an omega symbol with the number 562 which I understand is the caliber? I think it is 14k gold filled, just the front part. It is automatic and the crown has the omega symbol on it.

What else can you tell me about it by looking at the photos?

I hope my photos have a good enough quality for you to judge them.

How much is my watch worth aproximately?

I really like it and don't plan on selling it but I'm really curious.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post and share your expert opinion!

EDIT: Thanks for all the replies guys, it really helped me to get a clear picture of my watch and to value it for what it is.

All of the replies were really helpful, thanks for the warm welcome!

IMG_20160617_164849.jpg IMG_20160617_165142.jpg IMG_20160617_200902.jpg IMG_20160617_205821.jpg IMG_20160617_205909.jpg IMG_20160617_205954.jpg
    Edited Jun 19, 2016
    JimInOz likes this.
  2. Ravineman Jun 18, 2016

I am far from an expert, but yours looks like a nice, original Seamaster with a bumper movement. It looks like it could benefit from a nice clean up. Wear it and enjoy it. Probably the value as is $ 900 - $ 1,000

3. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 18, 2016

Nice Seamaster
    I have owned a few of them through the years. A service new crystal and gasket you will be in great shape That is NO bumper that is VERY nice cal 562

Your top loading 14k gold capped bezel Seamaster it's one of Omega's better model designs in Seamaster's With a new crystal, hands and indices cleaned, light case polishing on the case (bezel/lugs) your watch will sparkle These are one of my favorite models in the Seamaster line up The value is subjective it is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay

Watches with dedication inscriptions on the case back really hurts the resale value most buyers will not purchase a watch with inscriptions.

Edited Jun 18, 2016
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 18, 2016

Bumper movement?

:whipped:

::book::

chronos and Foo2rama like this.
  5. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 18, 2016

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 18, 2016

About the only other thing I can add is that your case was made by Centrale Boîtes S.A. of Bienne. Or otherwise called Central Watch Case Company.
    Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 4.42.32 PM.png

Congratulations on a good introduction and a very nice watch.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 18, 2016

watchknut, Archer, Jonatan and 2 others like this.
  8. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 18, 2016

Got it
    All in all it's a nice Seamaster these top loaders really clean up nice

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 18, 2016

That value is on the high end.

10. SwissZ Jun 18, 2016

900 maybe, maybe in a shop, privately consider half that.

efauser likes this.
  11. Willem023 Jun 18, 2016

Sorry, I do not want to be the bi%ch of the bunch, but the better advice on the OP might be to give into consideration to NOT have the case polished, the dial touched and/or cleaned, but leave it as it is while it is functioning. Service of course to be conducted.
    Please refrain from pushing towards your own preference (be my guest on your own watches), but give options to OP. ::book::

Best advice IMHO to the OP would be to have the watch assessed by a reliable watchmaker (not Omega) and read-up and learn on this forum, after (!) which one might decide on next steps. Especially if it is one's father's watch, take time to make up your mind (and do not haste yourself in cleaning, rubbing, polishing and all other activities that include the loss of originality).

Take your time, read-up and post some pics of the watch now and then: we like that ;);)

But that might only be My2Ksh

Edit: btw Diego: Welcome! And good to see you did some digging and research before posting!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mac_omega, cicindela and Charlie3755 like this.
  12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 18, 2016

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 18, 2016

Yes , what one Jeweler or watchmaker might consider a "light polish", might makeup removing the South African gold reserves. :unsure:

efauser, voere and Willem023 like this.
  14. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 18, 2016

I can only speak for myself we all have different views on the way things are done. The Seamaster the of the OP's has gold indices while the hands and dial are off for a service the indices should be cleaned along with just a mild cleaning of the hands all one has to do is give the hands a couple of swipes on a buff stick
    Do not touch any painted portion of the dial. A new crystal and a very mild hand polish of the bezel and lugs that watch would sparkle the SS case portion can just be cleaned. I never mentioned run that watch across a jewelers buffer. I am not sure of your version of polishing is for me it all depends on the condition of the watch polishing vs refinishing are two different things
    Even if the watch appears to run well I am willing to bet that movement needs a good service do to age. Any new watch to me that I am going to keep gets serviced or what ever else I feel it needs.

15. Willem023 Jun 18, 2016

Think you are missing the point.
    You state a personal opinion, whereas I think it more wise and sensible to offer the OP with options.

Rest my case.
    W

voere likes this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 18, 2016

@voere Just be mindful to mention hand polish with a cloth. Giving advice to noobs or some one not versed in watches that well may hand it to a watchmaker and ask for it to be polished which is a different thing... Even a light polish is not the same as a polishing cloth only ;)

voere likes this.
  17. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jun 18, 2016

This thread is why I love this forum. A newbie ask for some advice and gets invited in for the whole chicken dinner. Dysfunctional family and all.
    turkey.jpg

watchknut, Nobel Prize and voere like this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 18, 2016

I want steak

kingsrider likes this.
  19. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 18, 2016

Me too

20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 18, 2016

I mean, you give advice, the other guy gives advice, then the other guy
    ...That's the forum. And I for one don't see that much difference between giving advice and giving am opinion. And yours carry the same weight as any others wether it's right or wrong. To define someone else's response is kinda weird, just post that you disagree and why and then both of you contribute to a good resolution.

The point is. You never know what bad advice is until you get a few different points of view, and you never get different post into of view until advice or opinions are expressed, right and wrong.

Within the discussion the most reasonable consensus will surface and then the OP can choose his or her way.

If all we do is express neutrality then we might as well post a blank page.

My 2 cents.

Ps. Can someone pass me that chicken?