Forums Latest Members
  1. akaess Oct 2, 2013

Years back my uncle gave me this Omega watch. It's NOT my style and I know NOTHING about it. Anybody help? and if so how much is it worth? It does work perfect, and I do have the wind knob thing. It's a 15 jewell inside and back of the case says gold filled. Also it's engraved on the side. I know pics aren't the best, sorry. and help on year, model or what it's worth would be great thanx
    watch1.jpg watch2.jpg watch3.jpg watch4.jpg watch5.jpg

2. akaess Oct 2, 2013

Does anyone know anything about this watch please?

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 2, 2013

Sorry cannot tell you from those tiny pics, I need something 10 times bigger than that.

4. akaess Oct 2, 2013

5. akaess Oct 2, 2013

Is that better? I know the quality sucks. The #'s on the movement are 7151269 if that helps any.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 2, 2013

7151269 dates this to about 1930.

7. akaess Oct 2, 2013

Thank you. any idea what model it is?

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 2, 2013

They didn't really have model names back then.

It would be described as a tonneau shape case.

9. akaess Oct 2, 2013

Ok wonderful, thank you. Any idea on it's worth?

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 2, 2013

If you don't intend to keep it, put it on eBay with a no reserve and find out.

(not trying to be smart but that's the only way to find out what it's worth, an insurance valuation will probably cost you and will be over inflated).

You can also browse eBay for Omega Watches, find something similar and watch it to completion, however I haven't see anything like that recently.

11. akaess Oct 2, 2013

Is it a very common watch? run of the mill, nothing special? Being the age and still working shows wonderful craftsmanship, but doesn't mean it's worth anything.

12. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 2, 2013

Its not likely a very common watch, but then again IMO not very collectable. What is the size of the case? Is the case solid gold or gold filled? Is there any wear to the case? I can't tell from your pictures, but it would be important to determine if the dial is original or repainted. All these will factor in, besides the fact that its working. GIven the information you have and with the pictures you posted - if this was an eBAY listing I might go as high as 80-100$ However, if someone saw this watch and it reminded him of his dear old Grandmother- then it might be worth 1000$ to him. The point is to get the best description and pictures possible and post it on eBAY to see what its worth. Only the market will determine since its not one of the common models selling at high volume. My 2c.

13. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Oct 3, 2013

In addition to Joe K. Is the case signed Omega? A picture of the markings inside the case and size of movement (I think it is 23.7mm but due to poor resolution of the pics, could be also 26.5mm) would help identifying.
    Repainted dial, don't expect too much on value.....

14. akaess Oct 3, 2013

I don't believe the dial is repainted. It's sat in a drawer exactly how you see it since the 80's. I will take better pics here in a minute and will get the back of the case. YES the case is Omega it says. It says gold filled. It reads "JR & Son's" above the word Omega. Who is that?

15. akaess Oct 3, 2013

I'm sorry guys. I tried many different ways and can NOT get a god shot of the inside of the back of the case. The top of the inside reads "JR woods & sons special quality" under that says gold filled then under that is a torch looking thing with Omega written around it. and there is 3 different number sequences engraved back there. I'd assume from when it was serviced?
    watch1.jpg watch2.jpg watch3.jpg watch4.jpg

16. ulackfocus Oct 3, 2013

Push the flower button on your camera to put it in macro mode. This allows focusing up close.

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 3, 2013

Some observations:

1. Watch cases marked "gold filled" are almost certainly for the US market.

2. The watch looks to be a national production model. That is the case was made in the USA and the movement made in Switzerland by Omega.

3. That dial is of a generic Swiss type. These were frequently imported blank and then the name printed on later by the importer. I have a Longines dial that is almost identical:

[​IMG]

4. J.R. Wood & Sons was a US based watch case maker in the early part of the 20th Century. I can't find evidence that they still existed in the 1930's, but I suspect they did. Here is a picture of their hallmark from circa 1910:

[​IMG]

More information on J.W. Wood & Sons may be found here:
    http://www.trademarkia.com/wood-71303869.html

I don't think the watch is particularly valuable, but if you would like to discuss further, please drop me a PM through the forum.
    gatorcpa

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 4, 2013

The Hamster of Happiness makes his first appearance here:

[​IMG]

On its way from North to South...Florida, that is!

Thanks A,
    gatorcpa

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 4, 2013