Forums Latest Members

Please help to identify this rare Seamaster Choronmeter cal. 562

1. vmh Jun 4, 2015

Greeting to all Omega experts in this forum. I am a new member of this wonderful forum.

I recently brought this Omega Seamaster Choronmeter with cal. 562 from Japan ebay. It has a reference number 166.009 . I have checked the Vintage Omega database and found it was produced in 1962 for the international market with correct cal. 562. But it say no more about the choronmeter rating that was clearly stamped on the dial.

I knew Omega has sent some cal 562 (believe to be few) for COCS testing back in early 60's. Is my watch is one of this lucky batch. Since I couldn't found any information about my watch using google. The closest one I can found for a Seamaster Choronmeter rating watch is with cal 564, not 562.

Is my watch a very rare one?
    [​IMG]

Omega 2.jpg
  2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 4, 2015

It is unfortunately more likely a franken watch (possible that the movement, case and dial came from different watches) - the dial has been refinished and cal. 562 is not a chronometer movement.

3. vmh Jun 4, 2015

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion so fast by the following reasons:

(1) Why do the seller go into that trouble by stamping a "Choronmeter, Officially Certified" into the dial while forgot to put
    the most important "Swiss Made" at the bottom?
    (2) Why do the seller choose that unusal blue color to refinish the dial. It will sure get the suspicion eyeballs from experts and
    made the sale much harder.
    (3) This seller is a reputable vendor and he is selling several non-chorononmeter Seamaster with Cal 562 at the same time.
    My watch command a higher premimum over those non-choronmeter Seamsaster.
    (4) The accuracy of this watch is truly keep up with the COSC standard, I am wearing it for over one month daily now without
    losing or gaining time compare with the time source of my computer. This is the most accurate mechanical watch that I
    own so fast.

The answer is not that obvious until I open the caseback to check the movement which I intend to do when I return home from my business trip. Will post more pics as a follow up. In the mean time, I attached more picture below since now I know the proper method to attach the photos in this forum.

seamaster 1.jpg seamaster 2.jpg seamaster 3.jpg seamaster 4.jpg
  4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 4, 2015

Believe what you wish. I am 100% sure it is a redial and a poorly done one at that - it's an easy call that takes about 2 seconds to figure out. And cal. 562 is simply not a chronometer certified movement.

Edited Jun 4, 2015
  5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 4, 2015

Agree with Mike. Definitely a redial. The Swiss Made is there, you can just make out some writing down the bottom of the first pic. But the fonts are all wrong. And that blue is all wrong. ::puke::::puke::

6. TNTwatch Jun 4, 2015

How did you know the cal. 562 was sent for COSC certification? Do you have a source? The reference number indicates a non chronometer model. A chronometer equivalence would be 168.xxx.

As for your questions:
    (1) To make some money on naive buyers.
    (2) Catchy to the eyes of and easy to sell to ill-informed buyers.
    (3) Not that reputable, in fact, to sell a dubious watch at higher price.
    (4) A good watchmaker would certainly be able to get it run within COSC specs. You're just lucky there.

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 4, 2015

8. lillatroll Jun 4, 2015

If you look at the dial markers not all of them are equally spaced, this is most obvious between the 4 and 5 marker and beween 2 and 3 it seems some of the markers are missing completely

9. Pvt-Public Jun 5, 2015

I personally think you should use their "14 day no questions asked return" policy. Even if it was not misrepresented in the written description, the picture of a " chronometer dial" is a blatant misrepresentation of what the watch really is. think you could do better at that price. Just one mans opinion.

Edited Jun 5, 2015
  10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 5, 2015

Agreed. As is it is worth about $200.