Forums Latest Members

Please help regarding authenticity of vintage Omega

1. AB90 Sep 14, 2018

Hello ladies and gents,

After collecting watches for a few years now, I have just recently started to purchase a few affordable vintage watches. While searching for my (potentially) next vintage purchase, I came across an Omega (according to the seller a 2493-8 model) which is supposed to be from the 50's. However I am not able to find any information regarding this watch and I have never seen a similar Omega with a copper coloured dial.

I would really appreciate it if anyone with knowledge regarding (vintage) Omega's can chime in. I'm guessing this is a redial?

Omega 1.jpg Omega 2.jpg Omega 3.jpg Omega 4.jpg Omega 5.jpg
    Edward53 likes this.
  2. Gordon Heavyfoot Sep 14, 2018

Not an expert on these but the dial looks legit and original to my eyes. Some fairly minor bubbling occurring. Case should be 36mm I believe. The crown is incorrect. Not sure about the hands. The serial puts it between approx 1949-1951. Movement is dirty but I'm sure it can be put right by a good watchmaker. Nice watch imo. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on these will be by to comment more thoroughly. Cheers.

AB90 likes this.
  3. AB90 Sep 15, 2018

Thanks a lot for your input! Any other opinions from other members are also more than welcome.

4. michael22 Sep 15, 2018

AB90 likes this.
  5. AB90 Sep 15, 2018

Someone told me that the numerals on this Omega aren’t typical for watches from that era. Is there any truth to that statement?

Thanks for al the input guys.

6. Dan S Sep 15, 2018

It may be fine, but I think you're wise to ask about this, because there are some issues that concern me. I don't like the way the dial is peeling between 9 and 10, and I also have some concerns about the font, particularly in the word "AUTOMATIC". Also, according to the OVD, this is a Seamaster, but that is not indicated on the dial. I also don't see "SWISS MADE" on the dial.

Obviously, with vintage Omega, there was a lot of variability, so all of this could end up being ok, but I would hold off purchasing until you get confirmation that it's legit from some of the experts on the forum.

Edited Sep 15, 2018
    AB90 and mr_yossarian like this.
  7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 15, 2018

No way would Omega have used gold hands with black printed hour markers. Most likely it is a redial. If genuine, then either the hands or (more likely) dial have been replaced.

Maybe, ConElPueblo and AB90 like this.
  8. AB90 Sep 15, 2018

Thanks for your input. Yeah I was afraid it is a redial. Too bad, I was really digging the look of the watch...

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 15, 2018

I think the dial may be original but it didn't come on this watch.

Maybe and bubba48 like this.
  10. ConElPueblo Sep 15, 2018

I don't know if it is an original, but it certainly came from a different watch. @AB90 look at the edge of the dial, between the salmon plate and the case; you'll see a gap that shouldn't be there... Also, I haven't seen a 2493/2494 without "swiss/swiss made" at the bottom of the dial.

Also, as @Tony C. says, those hands are off. The entire feel of the watch is somehow wrong...

Funnily enough, I saw another frankened jumbo on IG recently. It was removed after a load of people commented on it... Doesn't surprise me at all that these are targeted - combine "Jumbo" with a known brand and a "flavour of the month" characteristic like salmon/radial/whatever dial and you are golden.

mr_yossarian and AB90 like this.
  11. mr_yossarian Sep 15, 2018

Couldn't contribute too much about the watch, but tell the seller by the pictures posted.
    Wouldn't be the first time he offers someting (let's be nice and assume it's outside of his expertise, on the other hand though he is a buddy of Sasha Davidoff, draw your own conclusions.. ) like a ultraman with wrong second hand, a 105.012 with wrong dial, a full 105.012 franken..may I continue?) which explains the not so precise disclosure for this one.
    In one word:run.

coronado and AB90 like this.
  12. AB90 Sep 15, 2018

Thanks for all your input gentlemen, it is much appreciated!

13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 15, 2018

Most of the case with "AUTOMATIC", the top of the A should be flat. Plus the last A in OMEGA looks a little funny.

So I think redial too.

Tom

AB90 likes this.