Forums Latest Members

Please help me with post-purchase info on this Seamaster. (urgent)

1. lilje13 Aug 1, 2013

Hi!
    I've found a nice looking Seamaster since my last De Ville were stolen in a burglary. The picture has not great quality, but that's the only pictures I have for now since the auction house can only provide these. The auction ends this Saturday, so I'm sorry for the urgent need of an answer. The serial number begins with 17,7 million so I figure that it's made late 1960.
    What I can tell from the text on the dial it has not been re-painted, but you'll have to help me on that one.

Is this a franken?
    What kind of Seamaster is this?
    Would you recommend me buying this and for how many Euros would you pay for it?
    Is it gold filled?

Personally I think this looks very nice, I have been looking after a Constellation Pie Pan for a while but this Seamaster is very clean.

omega1.png omega2.png omega3.png omega4.png omega5.png omega6.png

Thanks in advance,
    Lilje

2. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Aug 1, 2013

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the burglary and may the fleas of a thousand camels forever infest the underwear of the lowlifes that violated your home!

The dial script looks original to me but the case appears to be over polished. I think this is a front loader which is something I avoid. A Seamaster should have a screw in case back IMO. Our European members will have an idea of a possible value if they recommend you buy it.

Good luck

lilje13 and citizenrich like this.
  3. lilje13 Aug 1, 2013

Hi!
    Thank you for your answer.
    The most ironic thing about the burglary is that the burglars chose my watch over a very nice Panerai which was lying next to my De Ville.
    What do you mean by frontloader? I'm quite unfamiliar with watch terminology...
    Thanks again!

4. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Aug 1, 2013

Burglars with taste :p Just kidding.

A front loader is a watch with a unishell case (no case back) You have to go through the front/crystal to access the movement. I don't like the idea but I guess it means one less place for the watch to leak. I have never bought a vintage watch without seeing the movement first and you will rarely see the movement on these because they are a not as easy to get to.

lilje13 likes this.
  5. Alpenschneerot Aug 1, 2013

Hi lilje,
    you are not alone!
    Me and Stuart (Alpha) own the same watch.
    Mine is a Seamaster Ref.165.020 with yellow gold top.
    The movement is Caliber 552-1 with 24 Jewels, movement number is 17992XXX.
    Dial seems to be original (not repainted). Also hands and markers. Case is o.K.
    I think it`s a very nice light dress watch:) . IMG_0171[1].JPG

lilje13 likes this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 1, 2013

These front load uni-shell Seamasters are classics.

The one you are looking at is stainless steel with gold bezel and lugs and appears to be in good original condition with the exception to the replaced crown, the watch above has the correct crown for this case design.

$400-$475.00 USD.

lilje13 and Hijak like this.
  7. lilje13 Aug 2, 2013

Thank you for your replies! I will do my best to get my hands on this watch.