Forums Latest Members

Please help me with my old Seamaster Anakin Skywalker

1. Alymo Jan 29, 2016

I was given this watch by my grandfather just before he died.
    I was told many times by my family that it is in such bad condition I should just throw it out.
    My grand father told me that this watch had an interesting story but unfortunately I never got to find out what it was.
    I have had this watch from the early 80's and it has never been warn since then so it must have had a hard life over a short time.
    Recently I came across it while cleaning out my draws and had an idea that maybe I could have it fixed.
    After some research I found this forum and the name of the watch. Not to my surprise it has others who like its design.
    The watch works but I can not set the time on the hands. The pin comes out and one of the press buttons has no cover.
    The glass is in the worst possible state but the face looks to be in very good condition.
    My questions are-

1. Can it be repaired or restored?
    2. Is it worth repairing or restoring?
    3. What would it cost to have repaired or restored?
    4. Who does this kind of work?

I look forward to your thoughts and suggestions
    Regards
    Robert
    I do have the case sorry will post the pics

IMG_0097-1.jpg IMG_0100-1.jpg IMG_0101-1.jpg IMG_0104-1.jpg IMG_0105.JPG IMG_0107-1.jpg
    Edited Jan 29, 2016
    KstateSkier and Etp095 like this.
  2. DON Jan 29, 2016

As it stands. It has value as a movement, dial and hands or precious for sentimental reasons

Your missing the main case which your part fits into

It's a Anakin Skywalker (Googled, but not reason for the name)

Without the back open. Can't see condition of the movement, but it's a caliber 861

I really don't pay much attention to chronographs, so not sure how difficult it would be to find the main case. If you want to restore it. I would wait until the upper case part is found

DON

[​IMG]

Stewart H and Etp095 like this.
  3. Alymo Jan 29, 2016

Sorry do have the case just posted pics

4. MyVintageOmega Jan 29, 2016

How odd is that. Looks like a Rare (Anakin Skywalker Seamaster dial) You need to get this really checked
    out. You may have a few G notes there. Love to see movement #s and case #. Take it to a watch shop and get it opened. If all Omega parts then
    this would be a great restore project. And without question has a value greater than you'd expect.

5. d4uk Jan 29, 2016

it looks in a sorry state but likely behind the beat up crystal the dial will be fine.. I'm not sure if the likes of STS could supply a new or referred case I don;t believe it was a common model and so he part might not be available,
    I've wanted to pick one up for a while (this or a vader) but never come across one at the right time..

6. DON Jan 29, 2016

Check on Ebay shows one a bit nicer than yours sold for about $3000. Probably needs a cleaning Needs crystal and pusher

Dings in a couple of places that make it difficult to remove them

Maybe someone can recommend a watchmaker for repair. Could be about $600 (est.) or so

DON

7. Alymo Jan 29, 2016

WOW I'm a bit shocked. I just added an update to the title with Anakin Skywalker.
    I do like this watch and like watches in general. The funning thing is my wife just said "sell it and buy a nice watch" I guess she meant a "NEW" watch. Oh well we all have our preferences.

8. Baz9614 Jan 29, 2016

It was your grandfathers! Have it serviced, Keep it, and enjoy it! I'll run forever, and only go up in value!

KstateSkier, DLT222 and nickw like this.
  9. nickw Jan 29, 2016

Something that comes with memories and a connection seems worth the restoration effort!

Baz9614 likes this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 29, 2016

You know this is actually one I'd be tempted to send back to Bienne for service, but with very strict instructions not to touch the dial, hands, bezel or crown. Omega may have spare tungsten cases for these, though nobody else will, and if they can replace the case but keep the dial, hands and bezel it'll look incredible afterwards.

Alymo, Etp095 and gatorcpa like this.
  11. cristos71 Jan 30, 2016

I think if restored the bezel would also need cleaning or replacement, it looks like the crystal gasket has melting issues ( the black marks around the 7 and 8 o clock areas. )
    I ve seen enough battered Anakin's around to make me think that the cases are not available anymore but @dsio s advice to send it to Bienne is sound, if they are to be found it is here.
    It's a great watch and well worth investing some money into it to bring it back to its former glory.
    Good luck!

Alymo likes this.
  12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 30, 2016

Nothing wrong with this watch at all. These cases are brittle, but serviceable even when chipped - which is easy to do.

Full service will bring it up to good usable condition. Yes it will show its age, dings and dinks but it will be fabulous.

Full service means movement service, replace pushers, crystal crown and gaskets, but NOT dial hands and case, nor inner bezel.
    This is a watch with a history.

If it were mine (wish it were!) then I would sympathetically recommission it, not destroy the very patina that makes it charming.

STS in uk will have all parts needed. I do hear the argument for an Omega Bienne service, I just wouldn't do it myself.

Alymo, ChrisN and DLT222 like this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 30, 2016

The main reason I'd go with Omega is that the OP is from Sydney, and from Australia even shipping to the UK costs a fortune even without insurance and the exchange rate at the moment is beyond awful.

Omega's servicing costs quoted in AUD haven't gone up in a very long time which has seen them go from prohibitively expensive to relatively reasonable on pieces like this, and with local warranty through the boutique afterwards, as long as you're able to give them very precise instructions to preserve the piece. You should get any parts back as well afterwards.

Alymo, Etp095 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  14. robocaspar Jan 30, 2016

Can't wait to see how this cleans up!

15. Alymo Jan 30, 2016

Thank you for your excellent advice.

There is merit to restore to as pristine condition as possible and a sympathetic recommission.
    As for a sympathetic recommission I like the idea of being able to ware this watch as much as possible yet not have to worry about ware and tare.
    I was thinking in the future it can have a full restoration but I am concerned that the parts may not be available. "confusing"

For best value and history it would seem that having Omega Bienne look at it and have their recommendations? Is that even possible or would they be inclined to do what they think is necessary?

I am very thankful for the difference of opinions it has allowed me to look at things differently.

I must confess a few days ago I had something that I liked but was considered a piece of worthless junk that was beyond repair. The only thing I knew about it was its an omega and it looked to me as if it was once a shinning knight.
    I love watches and my budget has only ever allowed me to own a few Seiko's. Who knows this could be the beginning of an exciting collection.

16. cristos71 Jan 31, 2016

Where are you located? There are plenty of good watchmakers all over the world who could service the calibre 861, replace the crystal, crown and pushers, the main reason for the recommended Bienne option was AFAIK due to case damage and in the hope that this part would still be in the Omega Vintage Department's parts inventory. If you choose to keep the watch case as is ( which if I was you I would do ) then I wouldn´t go the Bienne route.

If this case part is still available then if you wanted you could have the damaged case replaced during a full service ( the damaged case would then be returned to you together with any other replacement parts)

Omega would attempt to bring the watch back to in like new state. They could do that by replacing the heart of the watch (dial, bezel, hands, etc) if they deem those parts defective. That could very well be to the detriment of your grandfathers watch, taking the character with it. One has to be very specific about exactly what work should be carried out. I.e. don´t replace the hands, don´t replace the bezel, etc, etc.

Edited Jan 31, 2016
  17. incabloc Jan 31, 2016

Omega dont have this cases on stock any longer, just the inner cases are still available.

My Skywalker was in Biel for Service, the Gaskets are melted away and damaged the inner bezel also. IMG_0146.JPG IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0145.JPG

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

That's a remarkably pretty case and dial, just gorgeous.

19. Alymo Feb 17, 2016

Hi, Just an update.
    contacted Omega in Switzerland and this was the reply.....

Dear Mr. Wise,
    We thank you for your request of January 31st, 2016 and are pleased to learn that you own a vintage OMEGA Seamaster watch.
    Following your message, we understand that you would like to have it serviced.
    You will certainly understand that without having had the opportunity to examine your watch we cannot comment about the cost and the possibility of a service.
    Therefore, we kindly invite you to hand the timepiece over to our Customer Service in Australia, at the following address:
    OMEGA Customer Care Team
    Level 2, 1601 Malvern Road
    Glen Iris, VIC 3146
    Australia
    Phone: +61 3 8844 3300
    Fax: +61 3 8844 3307
    [email protected]
    Our representatives will clarify the situation and decide upon the best way as to how your vintage OMEGA watch can be restored.
    They may also consider repatriating your watch to our OMEGA workshop in Biel, Switzerland, in order to determine if it is still possible to service this ancient model. Before starting any service work, a detailed cost estimate will be submitted to you for your approval.
    We hope to have been of assistance to you and would like to thank you for your trust shown in our brand.
    Kind regards,
    Your OMEGA team.
    [​IMG]
    YOUR QUESTION

Dear Sir, I have a Seamaster "Anakin Skywalker" 145.023 in a very poor state and...
    Dear Sir, I have a Seamaster "Anakin Skywalker" 145.023 in a very poor state and are interested in having it restored. As part of the restoration process are you able to replace the main case that the watch band attaches to? If so what would the extra cost of this part be? If I do go ahead with the restoration do I need to contact you first or just send my watch to you? Kind Regards Robert

KiwiMonty likes this.
  20. Alymo Feb 17, 2016

After some consideration what I would like to do is replace pushers, crystal crown and gaskets. Have it serviced to a working order, add a strap (with character). Keep it, ware it and enjoy it. What are your thoughts? in general and to were I should get this work done. Also I would like a strap as in the pictures from Incabloc. Can you help with the model of the strap?