Forums Latest Members
  1. delia87 Sep 18, 2018

Hello everyone!
    My name is Delia and I'm new in this forum. I actually made my registration because I need you help.
    This month me and my husband are celebrating our 15th anniversary and I really want to buy him a vintage Omega pocket watch as it's his dream to have such. However , I really know nothing about watches ,especially old pocket watches , so I hope some of you might help me,bacause I'm afraid someone might sell me a fake overpriced watch!
    This is the watch I've liked to buy.Please, if you can, tell me if it's a real Omega watch. They say it's from 1939, serial number on the movement is 7789196,on the cover - 8882894 and the caliber - 37,6 S15P.

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 10.22.17 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 10.22.42 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 10.23.00 AM.png
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 18, 2018

The photo's make it hard to give an estimate on condition etc, but it's a genuine Omega, it has one incorrect hand (or possibly both hands IMO).
    The minute hand should be a bit longer and the hour hand should be of the same style, or, the hour hand should also be a bit longer with a finer point and the minute hand should be of the same pattern.

Based on the serial numbers I would date the watch to the early 1930s.

Be aware that they are more fragile than a modern watch as there is no balance shock protection, so if it gets dropped it will probably require the services of a very good watchmaker.

delia87 and connieseamaster like this.
  3. Canuck Sep 18, 2018

You should also add the cost of a complete service and solving the problem of mis-matching hands to the cost of the watch. Depending on the condition of the watch, where you live and what you’ll pay for the watch and servicing it, this may end up being an expensive project. Pocket watches are much more fragile than your typical modern wrist watch, in spite of their larger size. They should only be carried in a vest or watch pocket, and on a chain or leather thong.

delia87 likes this.
  4. delia87 Sep 19, 2018

Thank you very much for the quick response. I'll contact a local watchmaker for an advice and I'll decide what to do. I also liked a new Tissot one, so I may go with that one!
    Best wishes!

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 19, 2018

If the Tissot is anything like mine, it would be a much better option as a "starter" watch. It should house the highly respectedUnitas/ETA 6497 movement, which is a modern production, shock protected and easily serviced by any competent watchmaker (or even me :D). TPW1.JPG

TPW2.JPG

6. delia87 Sep 19, 2018

Your watch Is really beautiful and I wish I could buy like this one but it's too expensive for my budget. What do you think about this one? Is it worth it or I'ld better choose another kind of present :)

T862.410.29.013.00-800x800-product_popup.jpg
  7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 19, 2018

What about your husband's dream of owning a vintage Omega?

8. delia87 Sep 19, 2018

Maybe I didn't say it quite clear , but my husband's dream is to have a pocket watch, I thought ,as we are celebrating an anniversary , It would be better if I choose a vintage Omega. Also ,new pocket watches are quite expensive :) So now I really am at a crossroad and I don't know what to choose! The vintage Omega is 250 euro and that's the only Tissot for 300 Euro,others are much more. And I'm not even sure whether the Omega would work normally and how much would it cost if I have to fix it :confused:

Any advice , please!

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 19, 2018

If he would like a pocket watch, and he's never owned one, a vintage model is not the best place to start, too much to earn and too many risks.

I would be hesitant to buy a vintage pocket watch unless I had spent at least a year researching them.

The Tissot you showed is obviously a quartz movement, and for somebody who isn't a vintage mechanical watch fan, I think it would be a good starting point and would be much more economical in the long term.

Whatever you get for him, I'm sure he'll love it.

PS: He is a lucky man.

10. delia87 Sep 19, 2018

Thank you very much! You're being so nice :)

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 19, 2018

It's just what we do ;).

You introduced yourself. You told us your problem. You asked for help and guidance.

You ticked all the boxes for a "first timer", so it was easy to respond.

delia87 likes this.
  12. delia87 Sep 19, 2018

As you’ve been so helpful can I ask you one last thing?! Have you ever heard of brands called Royal London or Jean Pierre?I’m sure they’re nothing like Tissot but I see they have mechanical watches at good price, so which one should I choose-Tissot and quartz or one of these-mechanical ?

13. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 19, 2018

You are obviously doing some research and have a budget in mind. I would respectfully suggest that (for a gentleman) anything below about 40mm is too small. Also, as pocket watches tend to get rubbed against fabric more often as they are generally kept in a pocket (well, d'uh :rolleyes:) the lower end plated offerings will show wear marks fairly soon, so perhaps a steel model might be best. Nothing wrong with quartz as a daily wearer, though most here would prefer mechanical. As has been said, buying vintage can be a minefield, so new might be best. Not sure if this one is wildly outside your budget https://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/tisso...ket-mechanical-watch-t83640113-t83640113.html

T83_6_401_13.jpg

14. delia87 Sep 24, 2018

This one is really beautiful.Thank you!I think I’m going to buy it!

15. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 24, 2018

Glad to have been of help. Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

tikkathree and delia87 like this.
  16. delia87 Nov 3, 2018

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I bought the watch that you recommended and my husband really loved it. It's a very beautiful watch and he was so happy when he saw it.
    TheWatchHut is also a great place to shop so from now on I'll know where to find good watches at better price.
    Thank you very much for the help!
    Best wishes!

Mouse_at_Large likes this.