Forums Latest Members

Please help me identify this watch. Longines c.1960's

1. smshore Feb 23, 2015

Hi. Thanks in advance for the help. This watch was purchased in 1965 in South Africa. It appears to be solid 18k gold. I thought it looked like a Conquest and seems to have that movement from the photos of the automatic, but it doesn't say conquest, have a date, or have casebook markings.

I think the hands and crystal have been replaced, but is otherwise original. I am not selling it at the moment, as it was originally my Dad's. I'm just interested in finding our more about it.

Thanks!

IMG_5052.JPG IMG_5053.JPG IMG_5056.JPG IMG_5057.JPG IMG_5059.JPG IMG_5060.JPG
  2. ulackfocus Feb 23, 2015

It's a generic model without a series name. Lots of Longines had very nice cases and calibers without being part of a specific line. The reference is 7005-4 and that's a caliber 290 automatic. The crystal replacement is no big deal. The hands look correct to me, at least for that period. The crown is the only thing I'd question as it's the style usually found on manual wind Longines of that era.

Nice heirloom. :thumbsup:

smshore likes this.
  3. smshore Feb 23, 2015

Thanks for the quick help! I asked my father and he said that he hadn't replaced anything on the watch except the crystal since he bought it at Heathrow Airport for 24 pounds on the way to S Africa (rather than in S Africa).

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 24, 2015

Ha, shame 24 quid doesn't buy you much in the way of a gold dress watch these days, cool piece

smshore likes this.