Forums Latest Members

Please help me identify this inherited watch. Thanks

1. marsplastic Sep 29, 2015

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and am enjoying everyone's informative comments.

I was wondering if someone can please help me identify this watch, I was going through my father's old things and stumbled upon this watch.

Going through the posts I know that it is a vintage Omega Constellation. Comparing it with some other pictures it looks like the crown is not original as it is not stamped. And the beads of rice bracelet is Seiko.

I hope to have the case opened by a jeweler but by just looking at the surface...Is the watch real? When was this watch made? What kind of movement is it?

About how much would it cost to have this watch serviced? How much to replace the crown to something more original?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
    IMG_5572.JPG IMG_5573.JPG IMG_5574.JPG IMG_5575.JPG

2. ConElPueblo Sep 29, 2015

That looks to be a lovely, original Omega Constellation model 168.005, caliber 561.
    As to the cost of servicing, it will depend on where you are situated, and if you are willing to ship your watch for a service, or if you prefer face-to-face service. I usually use www.watchguy.co.uk, whom I'm very satisfied with. Currently, he (they) charge 130 GBP for a service, and that is exclusive of parts. A "correct" crown is no longer available, but there are some aftermarket alternatives (I have had one installed on my Constellation), or you could use the newer Omega service replacement, which looks a bit different from the original.

the future and dougiedude like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Sep 29, 2015

If you'd like to read up on Omega Constellations, go here: http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com.

Also, here are a few pictures from the service of my Constellation:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the aftermarket crown:

[​IMG]

After servicing, the clock ticks just right:

[​IMG]

4. ConElPueblo Sep 29, 2015

Oh, and by the way - the watch is very much "real" and it's a pretty attractive, real watch to boot :)
    It's probably from the late 60's, 1968 or so, but a look inside will show you the serial number, which will enable you to find out more specifically. This watch: http://www.lauritz.com/da/auktion/vintage-omega-constellation/i3972346/ was just sold at a Danish auction site (overpriced, btw) and has a serial number just 70 away from mine - I imagine they have been on the assembly line and shipped from Switzerland to Denmark on the very same day…

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay!

5. vinn2 Sep 29, 2015

the braclet is valuable.

6. vinn2 Sep 29, 2015

where can one get an aftermarket ------

7. marsplastic Sep 29, 2015

Thanks ConElPueblo for the thorough reply! I'll definitely need to get my watch serviced. It probably hasn't been serviced in quite a number of years. The watch itself is running fine but running about 20 seconds slow a day.

Vinn2: How much do you think the bracelet is worth? I like the beads of rice bracelet, but I'm not a fan of having a clearly marked Seiko branded bracelet on an Omega watch.

8. vinn2 Sep 29, 2015

i meant to imply "seiko's are collectible" and; where can i buy an after market crown for my collectible watches.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 29, 2015

It helps if we know where you live so we can recommend a suitable source.

And I suspect the bracelet is original Omega, only the clasp has been replaced as the originals sometimes failed to secure properly due to broken tabs etc.

Clasps can be found on eBay etc.

10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 29, 2015

I agree with this. Otto Frei also has clasps.

Tom

11. constellationM Sep 29, 2015

What a find. Congratulations on a very fine watch. Your father had great taste.

12. marsplastic Sep 29, 2015

Thanks all for the feedback!

13. marsplastic Oct 1, 2015

Had the case opened today. Sorry for not the greatest pics, only had my iPhone on me. Looks like my father last had it serviced in 1997.

ConElPueblo: You were right regarding the model number and movement.

Serial number is 24453932.

Would this watch fall under the "famous 100,000 consecutive Omega 561 movements" that I'm reading about online? http://ialreadyhaveawatch.com/2009/01/the-famous-100000-consecutive-omega-561-chronometers/

If so would this affect the value?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Edited Oct 1, 2015
    Giff2577 likes this.
  14. marsplastic Oct 2, 2015

Bump

15. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 2, 2015

the answer to your first question appears to be yes -so congratulations on having one of the famous 100,000!

as for value -it lends a little extra kudos as it has been identified as one of a certified series of watches where every one of a run of 100,000 achieved (especially good results) chronometer status -a remarkable achievement

Collectors might like to say they have one in their collection -nice to have but it doesn't necessarily add monetary value (there are 100,000 of them after all and they are no better than the 100,001st 561 Constellation certified)

However, it is priceless to you as a talking point -as you can now say:
    "not only do I have my father's watch which has one of the finest production movements ever made but is one of the famous continuous run of 100,000 that Omega had certified as chronometers...."

hope that helps :)

really nice watch by the way -and if you look on the inner part of the folding clasp you should see some reference codes -take pics of these and the members should be able to tell you if it is an Omega BoR

please get it serviced before you wear it -from the way the date is written backwards you must be States-side -I'm sure the guys on OF will be able to recommend someone if you let them know approx where you are

Philip

Giff2577 and TNTwatch like this.
  16. marsplastic Oct 2, 2015

Thanks for the reply and thoughts! They definitely helped!

Jacquot likes this.