Forums Latest Members

Please help me identify the model number of this Seamaster

1. vronp Jun 17, 2016

Hi,

I scrolled through the Omega web site but could not find an exact match on the watch face. Many were similar.

This was my dad's watch. The serial number indicates a watch made in the 50s which would make sense.

I was delighted to see that my dad's last name was "engraved" onto the inside of the back case. It's not readable in these pictures but I can see it at the right light angle.

The watch does not run and I wish to have Omega bring it back to working condition. I would welcome best approaches to that goal. Do I just work through a local registered Omega jeweler or is there a better or more direct method?

Pictures attached.

Thanks

20160617_120105.jpg 20160617_120150.jpg 20160617_153040.jpg 20160617_153440.jpg 20160617_120205.jpg
    Canuck likes this.
  2. watchlovr Jun 17, 2016

As inside the case back CK2576
    Is that a bumper movement?
    Not my expertise.....

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 17, 2016

Edited Jun 17, 2016
    Peemacgee likes this.
  4. vronp Jun 17, 2016

Well, shows how much I know about these watches. Didn't realize that was the model number on the inside of the back.

Suggestions on what can be done on this watch? I'd love to get it back to working order AND would like to have the dial glow again.

Thank you.

5. vronp Jun 17, 2016

Georgieboy58, watchknut and Archer like this.
  6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jun 17, 2016

Post your area and sure someone will recommend an independent who will take care of you. The big no in this case is Omega, way to expensive as all you will hopefully need is a full service.

7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jun 17, 2016

Post your area and sure someone will recommend an independent who will take care of you. The big no in this case is Omega, way to expensive as all you will hopefully need is a full service.

Waffle "textured" dial similar to my post in wruw today.

8. dx009 Jun 17, 2016

A really lovely watch in pretty good condition (given the age). The general consensus here is that it's better to take it to an independent watchmaker for repairs rather than the official Omega people since it's a lot cheaper.

Also, maybe it just needs a good servicing (cleaning and oiling of the inner components) rather than replacing parts and such.

The watch is late 40s-early 50s. I can't tell whether there is another number before the 3 in the serial number and what is it.

Technically it should be 13xxxxxx which puts it at 1952 production date. Movement is caliber 342 I think.

chronos likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 17, 2016

Whoops your right missed that. It felt wrong when I looked it up.

10. vronp Jun 17, 2016

It is indeed 13, sorry the picture didn't show that well.

I'm not worried about cost so much as I am about a truly top notch repair. What if parts were needed?

Any suggestions about the glow-in-the-dark aspect of the watch? Do people typically get that restored?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

11. vronp Jun 17, 2016

Also interesting, the 344 is there as well although not easily seen in the picture. Omega site reads "Created in 1953, COSC"

12. vronp Jun 17, 2016

I found your post and that's a very nice looking watch.

13. dx009 Jun 17, 2016

Oh right, I didn't see it on the movement until now. That means it's caliber 344 so it was made in 1953. 13xxxxxx is applicable to both 1952 and 1953.

A good and experienced watchmaker should have parts for such watches or be able to procure them.

Then again, it's no problem if you want to take it to Omega directly.

It's also worth mentioning that they have the habit of making the watch look as if it had just left the factory or as close to that state as possible which for some people is bothersome and unwanted.

14. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 17, 2016

Talk to Swiss Time Services http://www.swisstimeservices.co.uk/

They will do what's possible from a service/clean to a full restoration. They are not the cheapest, but they do good work. How far you go depends on your budget and how you want the finished watch to look.

15. redpcar Jun 17, 2016

"Any suggestions about the glow-in-the-dark aspect of the watch? Do people typically get that restored?"

Generally, if it is the original lume (glow in the dark paint) on the hands, collectors leave it alone. If has already been done, then no harm re-luming.
    Your dial doesn't look to have lume, just the hands. Very easy for watchmakers to re-do the hands. Very hard to re-touch lume on the dial.
    Enjoy your watch.........errr.......timepiece ;)

16. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 17, 2016

It's hard to tell from the photos, but I think this style of hour markers had small concavities at their bezel ends where lume dots sat. A bit like these:-
    Old Seamaster 2.jpg

17. vronp Jun 17, 2016

Yes, that's correct. The concavities are somewhat triangular shape and the "dots" are shaped accordingly.

Per a previous post, are these "dots" considered to be "on the dial" and therefore difficult to repaint?

18. Dr No Jun 19, 2016

Replaced dial lume stands out like a sore thumb. Best to leave the dial in its original state.

Art

Archer likes this.
  19. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 19, 2016

With all due respect, and leaving aside the question of collector preference and value, whether to have a dial relumed is entirely up to the owner of the watch and how they wish it to look. There is no absolute rule. The example in my post above has been relumed and is worn every day with pleasure by my brother.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  20. vronp Jun 20, 2016

Thanks all for your posts. I've learned a great deal and Ive developed an "Omega fever" in the process.

I will be sending this watch to Omega in Washington. I understand from them that this caliber 344 will need to be forwarded to Switzerland.

I do NOT wish to diminish the value of the watch. If they have to replace the dial to fix the lume, I will take a pass.

I do have one more question. The crystal has some minor scratches and I may end up just telling Omega to leave the crystal alone. BUT, just for my own education, does replacing the crystal diminish the value? Of course, I don't know if crystal polishing is even an option....

Thanks again.