Forums Latest Members

Please Help Me Choose Seamaster, Speedmaster Or Moonwatch?

1. Peter24H Jun 24, 2013

Hi All,
    I’m very new to this forum so please have patience with me :)
    I’m looking to purchase my first premium watch and have my heart set on an Omega. There are several Omega’s which really appeal to me so I’m after some advice from you folks on which could be the best. Are there any issues with the mechanisms, is one going to hold its value better than the others, which do you prefer and why etc.?
    At the moment I think I prefer the classic styling’s of one of the moonwatches, but hear the mechanism isn’t quite up to scratch?
    These are the watches I like:
    Seamaster Diver 300 M Chronograph 41.5 mmhttp://www.omegawatches.com/collection/seamaster/diver-300-m/chronograph-415-mm/22258000
    SeamasterAqua Terra 150 M Co-Axial Chronograph 44 mmhttp://www.omegawatches.com/collection/seamaster/aqua-terra-150-m/co-axial-chronograph-44-mm/23110445001001

Speedmaster Broad Arrow Co-Axial Chronograph 44.25 mmhttp://www.omegawatches.com/collection/speedmaster/broad-arrow/co-axial-chronograph/32110445001001
    Speedmaster Moonwatch Co-Axial Chronograph 44.25 mmhttp://www.omegawatches.com/collection/speedmaster/moonwatch/co-axial-chronograph-4425-mm/31130445001002

Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional 42 mmhttp://www.omegawatches.com/collection/speedmaster/moonwatch/professional/35705000
    http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/speedmaster/moonwatch/professional/35765000
    Many thanks for your help in making my decision!
    Thanks!

2. OttawaMan Jun 24, 2013

I'm not sure how big you are but I found the watches in the 44mm range to 'gangsta rapper' for my wrist. Doesn't answer your question about the mechanisms...but I'll leave that to the aficionados to chime in.

3. Peter24H Jun 24, 2013

Hi OttawaMan,

I've tried on the Speedmaster Broad Arrow and was happy with the look, but good point - Thank you!

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 24, 2013

Agree that the larger size doesn't work for me, but that is personal preference.

The moonwatch professional an absolute classic. The movements are absolutely reliable - that is why they are taken to the moon and out on space walks. All of the g force of take off, the ultra ultra ultra cold of space walks, etc

All of those watches are good. Try them all on and go with what reaches your heart.

5. OttawaMan Jun 24, 2013

uhm...maybe I'm wrong but you're not saying the speedmaster was worn outside the space suit are you? I'd like to see a picture of that...

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 24, 2013

Yeap, outside the suits on an extra long velcro strap on all Apollo moon landings, as well as spacewalks. No other watch, not even the X-33 Mars is certified for EVA use, only the Speedmaster Pro.

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 24, 2013

8. OttawaMan Jun 24, 2013

That's impressive.

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 24, 2013

Hard to tell the time UNDER the space suit ::wink::

Egatdagi likes this.
  10. Nick F 05 Jun 24, 2013

Hi and welcome

I personally prefer the Seamaster Aqua Terra 150

Thanks,
    Nick

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 24, 2013

Hi Peter,
    As you concern about mechanism/movement, I suggest you rule out Seamaster 300M chrono. It is a solid caseback means you will not be able to see the mechanism through display caseback. The movement is also a slight modified ETA 7750, which is robust and a strong workhorse, but will not give you a 'bragging' right.

Caliber 3313 is a more advance movement, equipped with coaxial escapement. It has some issues in the beginning but I heard the latest iteration is far more reliable. If you want the most advance chronograph Omega movement check the Caliber 9300. It is mechanically more advance (two main spring barrel, coaxial escapement designed ground up from scratch, not only as enhancement) and aesthetically more pleasing. Of course it costs bit more.

Caliber 1861 is a legendary movement. Daniel/CanberraOmega has explained the background. While it is not chronometer spec, its reliability is second to none. Having the design root from legendary Cal 321 by Lemania, it is a superb movement which I wear with proud more than say the more modern Cal 2500D or Cal 8500. Aesthetically it is also very pleasing to be seen. If you like me who enjoy to see the movement, I suggest you choose Sapphire sandwich moonwatch 3573.50 with Cal 1863 movement (the only difference they put Rhodium plating in the movement components to make it more attractive and put sapphire crystal in fron and back instead of Hesalite in front and solid steel caseback) http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/speedmaster/moonwatch/professional/35735000
    The only drawback it doesn't have date function. For me it is not a drawback, it is a plus factor. One less setting if I want to wear it.

Next you mention value, this is a rather tricky question because it depend on many factors other than the quality of the movement or the watch design. First factor is what the market demand for specific model? Second what is the supply plan from Omega (limited edition, discontinued or regular) and then come other factors like reputation of movement, timing etc.
    The original 1861/1863 Moonwatch is a stable value holder, the other models that you suggest I don't really know how far it will store value. But since none is limited edition or have special wow effect in market, probably a less value holder than moonwatch. If I have to make a bet, I will choose the new model of Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon for value. It will fetch premium soon after its launching in Q4 13. Why? The market response is very strong after prototype show and Omega plan to limit the supply in short term due to limited production capacity (ceramic case is more difficult to manufacture).

Then the design factor. I believe the most important factor that people often forget is comfortable factor which come down to size and weight. Why? because you will wear it for hours, you don't want it feels awkward and become burden. I have watches that I seldom wear because a) it is too big b) it is too heavy and unbalance and makes me uncomfortable to wear it more than 2-3 hours. Seamaster PO XL (45.5mm) and Flightmaster comes to my mind. I found for sporty/tool watch my sweet spot is between 40-42mm and for dressy watch it is between 36-39mm. The lighter the watch the better. Next is the dial & bezel design. Some people like crowded with many embellishment (guilloche pattern, color combination, many scripts etc) some like minimalist approach. You should find your preference.

At the end it is a heart decision rather than only logical decision. You can weigh in as many factor, but try several until there is one who shout to you, "This is me. This watch reflects myself and it is like designed for me". Enjoy the process as much as you will enjoy the watch that you decide to buy.

Regards

Peter24H likes this.
  12. Peter24H Jun 26, 2013

Hi Privateday7,

Thank you very, very much for your informative response. I think i'm very much leaning towards the Moonwatch, either the Co-Axial Chronograph or Pro Sapphire sandwich.

Thanks

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 26, 2013

Both are excellent choice..........

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 26, 2013

Speedmaster pro moonwatch 35735000
    Went through a similar first Omega choice and done a heap of looking and reading and settled for the classic moon-watch.

15. AGEMO Jun 26, 2013

They both are great watches there is no doubt. One thing to consider is what sorts of activities and environments you are usually around. Since the Speedmaster is a chronograph and will allow you to time activities is there ever an instance this might be useful? If in your work environment this ability to time things is helpfull than that is a consideration. Another thing to consider is how much time you spend in water. If you are constantly jumping in pools and like hanging out at the beach then the seamaster may be better. The Speedmaster is water proof and certainly you could use the seamaster dial to time something. However these instruments are tools and like any tool purchase utility is a factor. If only one best to get the most use.

bdatki likes this.
  16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 27, 2013

Good advice......I think this factor even trumps the movement and design.

17. slim4511 Jul 9, 2013

Speedy Pro 3573.50 Sapphire Sandwich was the choice I made. No regrets here.

18. danbrew Dec 5, 2015

Old thread, I know. I just went through this very same internal discussion with myself... ended up with a Seamaster GMT Good Planet. Will one day get a Speedmaster as well. :)

19. Micmicmotorbike Feb 7, 2016

Bringing this thread back... Like Dan did.
    I'm looking to purchase something in a year or so as well. Long time Omega fan, just sold my 13 year old SMP and picking up a 39mm Railmaster.
    But torn between a PO vs Moon watch.
    Loved the POs ever since they came out and said that I would have one one day. But as tastes change, I've come to really love the Moon watches as well. Ideally would love both.
    I've noticed that watches have been trending back to smaller sizes. I know the real PO XL case is actually closer to 43 if I remember correctly. I fee that it fits my almost 7" wrist better. The smaller PO seems a bit small for a diver.
    I don't want to pay the premium but I do think the Good planet is the perfect PO size. As far as mov'ts, I think I would search for a 2500d as the 8500 seems a bit too thick. I want my watches to fit under my dress shirts.
    Motm wise: I was worried that for a dressier watch 42 would be too big, but I tried a buddy's on and feel that it's a perfect size-wears smaller. I feel the newer sapphire ones r too rich for my blood. But I wear all my watches regularly and would hate to mar the hesalite crystal...although they are much less expensive to repair. I enjoy the reliabity this watch has and the history is just plain .....amazing. The other thing I had to think about was that I would need to wind it. But I think I'm finally ok w it.
    These are both watches I would plan on passing to my kids. So I want a watch that will stand the test of time, which I feel both will.
    Sorry for the long rant, but I guess I have a year to think about it. I would love any thoughts on owners of both.

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 7, 2016

I don't t
    I don't think that a PO really qualifies as a "dressy watch" That being said the older 2500 or 3313 movements are slightly smaller and do not have the display back which makes the watch wear much lower on the wrist. That is one of the reasons why I have a 3313 instead of a 9300 (the chrono versions of the 2500/8500 movements.)

I am 6'4 with a smaller wrist and the PO Chrono wears smaller then you would think esp the older versions. I wear it in SoCal business Casual but I would not wear it with a suit, and never with a tux. Where as a speedy could be worn with a suit with a black leather strap, and is only slightly less wrong then a Black sub with a TUX, ie you can do it.

As for Hesalite vs sapphire, I feel it is a personal choice on the speedy, the hesalite is "correct" for full moonwatch specs to be used in space, but odds are will need to be replaced more often then a saphire. On the other hand your not going into space and a sapphire crystal would be perfectly fine to wear while walking around on planet earth and basically no one would know.

As for winding a speedy, you get used to it and wind it every morning or night as needed, or if it unwinds then just wind and set it as you go (hence no date) It really depends on what you are looking for and how you are going to use it. There is no bad choice.

Micmicmotorbike likes this.