Forums Latest Members

PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE 1 from 2. Omega Aqua Terra Or Rolex Datejust

1. ladaniel888 May 2, 2018

Hi everyone,

Super excited to post my 1st ever thread about watches:):). I will be as concise as possible. Thanks advance for all the views and helps.::love::

Background: This is my 1st watch purchase. I am not and don't see myself as a watch person. I just want to get a nice all rounder, everyday watches that will see my decades. Having said that, I am not into sporty looking watches.

Watches in questions: Rolex Datejust 36 (steel and white gold, fluted bezel, Jubilee bracelet) ::psy::VS::psy::. Omega Seamasters Aqua Terra 150M ( Steel - Sedna™ Gold on rubber strap, REF 220.22.41.21.02.001)

My analysis (which demonstrates why this is a close call to me)

1. Price: Rolex AUD 10,100. Omega AUD10,725. Therefore, Rolex wins due to higher re-sell value and higher brand/social perception.

2. Quality: Tie. I am sure both of them will be fine quality wise.

3. Look: Omega wins. LOVE the touch of rose gold. This particular combination just steal my heart!!! The datejust looks ok/nice. The looks grows on me because I think datejsut has been there for a long time.

4. Extra: I am buying a dress/smart casual watch and really intend this to be the only watch I will ever buy in this category/class. If I am lucky, I may want to add a two tone Rolex Submariner several years later to my ''collection''. To me, a dress watch and a sport watch is perfect as I tend get joy from really using my pieces. For that perspective, I feel like the Datejust seems to be a more safe,logical and coherent choice. (BUT, the Omega looks sooooo good)::screwloose::.

That all I can think of now. Please let me know which one you will choose and the reason of your choice. Also, any other suggestions are ALL welcome. THANKS HEAP!!!!! ;);););););););););)

P.S. The Rolex looks like this:):):):):):):):):)
    roles.JPG
    The Omega looks like this ::love::::love::::love::::love::::love::::love::::love::::love::::love::::love::::love::::love::::love::::love::::love::::love::
    ome.JPG

Edited May 2, 2018
    EatMan and RRMagyar like this.
  2. Baz9614 May 2, 2018

Try both on to get a sense and feel for both, but at the end of the day, buy what speaks to you! Personally, between the two i would chose the Rolex on the jubilee but in a 39mm if available, but again it’s all about what feels right on you! Good luck!

ladaniel888 likes this.
  3. 77deluxe May 2, 2018

Datejust

ladaniel888 and Baz9614 like this.
  4. ladaniel888 May 2, 2018

Thanks Baz9614! Going to the local boutiques this week and see how they look like in person !

Baz9614 likes this.
  5. ladaniel888 May 2, 2018

Curious to know the reason ? :thumbsup:Thanks 77deluxe

6. Foxy100 May 2, 2018

I'd also go with the Datejust if it didn't have Roman numerals on the dial.

If it were me I'd go for the Omega Constellation Globemaster.

Caliber561 and ladaniel888 like this.
  7. ladaniel888 May 2, 2018

Yeah, I know the Globemasters. To me it shares a few similarities with the datejust. Why would you choose the Globemasters over datejust ?

8. SteveZ28 May 2, 2018

My preference is the datejust as well. I have been thinking about the same model but with the black face and no roman numerals. I have tried a few on in the AD and i definitely prefer the 36mm over the 41mm. Go with your gut but I dont think that you will regret either.

9. ladaniel888 May 2, 2018

Haha, everyone is not a fan of the Roman numerals. Btw, has you local AD offered any discount on the rrp? If yes, how many % ?

10. 77deluxe May 2, 2018

In the long run I suppose it could hold its value better. Mostly I just like the datejust more. Just my opinion. You obviously should buy what speaks to you. That’s what this is all about after all. Either one is a good choice.

ladaniel888 likes this.
  11. SteveZ28 May 2, 2018

I was recently down in Turks and Caicos and they offered me 10% right off the top. I think it came to $6850 USD (Duty Free). I all honestly I should have jumped on it.

12. llvhhui May 2, 2018

Between those two I think the date just looks more versatile in my opinion. But you already said it that the aqua terra stole your heart then go with your heart. Since you wanted it to see your decades then there’s no need to worry about resale value.

ladaniel888 likes this.
  13. dxholdren May 2, 2018

Personally, I love Roman numerals on my dial. Resell value will always be better with Rolex over Omega. Especially when the Omega is two tone. Not being a watch guy, the DJ would be the only logical choice here. The steel bracelet will compliment any and all attire from shorts and a t shirt up to a tuxedo. The strap on the Omega, however, will more than likely need replaced to dress it up for other occasions. Doesn’t necessarily have to be a costly thing to replace but potentially bothersome for someone not into watches.

ladaniel888 likes this.
  14. ladaniel888 May 2, 2018

Nice I am in Melbourne Australia. Call a local AD about the omega and they offered me 15% discount. Very surprised they can do that over the phone. Not sure if Rolex is stricker.......

15. ladaniel888 May 2, 2018

Points taken. The other thing though is that taste changes overtime........

16. ladaniel888 May 2, 2018

Agreed with the rubber strap. I really think the two tone AT is bit over priced in comparison with the DJ

17. dwboston May 2, 2018

Buy the one that appeals to you the most. Don't worry about resale value - if you're buying something and already thinking about selling it later, then why buy it at all? I just bought an Aqua Terra (the one in my avatar). I had my eye on it for a while and saw it at an AD while on vacation and just went for it. I'm looking for a Speedy to round out the collection for now. Like the poster above advised, go with your heart.

EatMan and ladaniel888 like this.
  18. Foxy100 May 2, 2018

Classier, more subtle, nicer design. If I were buying a DJ it would be vintage, here's my father-in-law's 1977 DJ I sourced for his 60th birthday and had serviced and cleaned up.

[​IMG]

djmusicman, ladaniel888 and SteveZ28 like this.
  19. gostang9 May 2, 2018

Rolex Date Just: it’s the winner for me. Classic look, I like the singular color. I also prefer the simple stick hour markers.

Omega: i don’t mind watches that are completely rose gold, but that two-tone I don’t like at all. I also don’t love the shape of the hour markers for what is trying to be somewhat of a dress watch (to me).

As someone else suggested, I would much more favor the Constellation (about on par with the DJ).

20. ulackfocus May 2, 2018

I can say for a fact that DateJusts don't hold their value like Rolex's sport watches.

You should look at the grey dialed all steel Aqua Terras, or a two tone Rolex DateJust, for a fairer comparison. The all steel AT is MUCH less expensive.