Forums Latest Members

Please Help Me Answer Questions About This 2499

1. buffalo22 Apr 1, 2013

DIAL.JPG BACK INSIDE.JPG MOVEMENT.JPG CROWN.JPG BACK.JPG
    Several years ago (pre-internet--at least for me) I purchased an Omega 18K gold watch at an estate sale for its gold content. At the time I knew almost nothing about watches except for the fact that, because it's such a beautiful watch, I couldn't bring myself to scrap the case. I was also intrigued, because it was my first encounter with a "bumper" movement. I wrapped the watch in tissue, put it in a plastic zip-lok bag, and it's been in my "to do later" box ever since...
    The description is as follows:
    1. Case material--18K solid gold, SN 11000279
    2. Movement--Automatic "bumper" Chronometre, Officially Certified,
    SN 12068759, in excellent running condition
    3. Model Number--2499
    4. Dial--Bronze color, raised gold markers, has "Swiss Made" at bottom
    5. Crystal--looks original, but not sure
    6. Crown--original, with Omega logo
    I recently took the watch out and have found a lot of information, but would very much appreciate answers you collectors can give to a few specific questions:
    1. The serial numbers on the case and movement are quite a bit apart--does this indicate that a later movement (1950) was replaced in an earlier case, or is the case SN not a factor in the production date?
    2. Does the "Officially Certified" designation on the dial, being prior to 1951, make this more of a rarity?
    3. Is this watch considered to be a Centenary?
    4. Does the crystal appear genuine/original to you experts?
    5. Could you please give your opinions about an approximation of value?
    Thank you all for your help.

2. ulackfocus Apr 1, 2013

Yes, that's considered a Centenary - the smaller 34 mm version. Here's the larger 36 mm version:

[​IMG]

I don't know how long the 2499 was made so I can't tell you if it's an older movement frankened into that case or not. That's a question better answered by another member, maybe MSNWatch, gatorcpa, cicindela, kyle L, hoipolloi, or somebody else. Kyle and Hoi do own that reference in that exact configuration with the same words on the dial.

Don't know about the crystal but that's considered a normal wear item and no big deal if replaced.

Value in that condition is at least $2500, and probably more. I'd like to compare a couple other known original examples to see if the hands are the correct length. (speaking of that, where is Hoi when you need him? :D)

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 1, 2013

Interesting... here is mine.

[​IMG]

Mine is a little different (hour markers, Swiss instead of Swiss Made, arabic 12, minute track) but it also has Officially Certified on the dial. My movement SN is 12.3 mil and the case is also an 11 mil. I was talking about this with Desmond and a couple of others a while back and these might have been the second batch of 2499s with the added text. Here's a thread that might have some good info!

http://omega.watchprosite.com/?show=forumpostf&fi=677&pi=5624628&ti=832198&s=0

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 1, 2013

5. ulackfocus Apr 1, 2013

The minute / second track on buffalo's watch is different from Kyle's - it's like the one on mine and Norm's.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 4, 2013

Don't have much, but here goes:

1. This gap between the case and movement serial numbers is a positive sign. It means that the case and movement are likely both from about 1951 as per this chart from Omega:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/gatorcpa/Watch Photos/Omega Advertising/99ae1b84.jpg

2. On the contrary, the "Officially Certified" designation means that the watch was made in 1951 or later. It's not a great rarity either way, just a very collectible model.

3. Depends on where you were located at the time. My understanding is that this model was marketed in the USA as "Centenary" well after Omega's centenary year of 1948.

4. Not sure if the crystal in original or not. I'm not sure if the original crystal would have had the Omega symbol. So long as it's not badly scratched or otherwise compromised, it shouldn't be a factor in the value.

5. I'm the last guy to ask about value, but I would say somewhere north of $2,000.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

7. ulackfocus Apr 4, 2013

I did tell you 'dibs' on that, right? ;) IIRC, the seller has first right of refusal to buy it back though.

8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 5, 2013

Yep. :thumbsup:

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 5, 2013

Lol
    I PMed him yesterday!