Forums Latest Members

Please help! Ladies 24mm constellation quartz- WATER INGRESS

1. Helsbels May 5, 2019

I hope people can help - I am new to this forum but have joined to get some advice . I bought a new ladies 24mm quartz constellation after lots of discussion with the shop regarding what I wanted a watch to do; to not take it off and be able to ‘forget about it’ - I don’t do extreme sports , swim occasionally and didn’t want to remove a watch when showering or washing up’ . I discussed waterproof-ness and looked at many different makes and decide on this which is rated at 10bar.

5 months later I noticed the watch had moisture inside and took it back to the shop who sent it back to omega. Sure enough it had water ingress so I was very cross - they said I must have accidentally left the crown out . Omega repaired it for free and I have had no issues until last week when the same has happened again - this time the watch stopped completely . Since the first incident I have been paranoid and always check the crown regularly so I am shocked that it could have accidentally come open again, if that is what has happened. It has gone back to the shop and sent to the omega service centre and they say it is my fault - and there is nothing wrong with the watch but then said that a ‘3bar watch should not be exposed to water !’ Now I am amazed as this doesn’t fill me with confidence that they know what they are doing as the watch is 10bar and it says so on all my paperwork however researching online shows that the new constellation models have been downgraded regarding water resistance to 3bar! Does this suggest that there has been a historical issue ? Could it be that when they repaired it they got it wrong ? Do omega provide repair details to the shop ?

I am looking for advice - anyone know if there is a problem with these watches and where do I stand ? I have had this 15 months and I don’t trust it . This is not the high quality watch I am after and obviously not fit for purpose if through normally activities it can get water in or the crown keeps ‘accidently’ coming out though I have never noticed it out - it is just what the omega centre keeping saying is the only option.

2. 124watchfan May 5, 2019

The problem with non screw down crowns and water resistance is that every time u slide your hand in and out of your pocket there is a potential to unseat the crown. Even the force of diving into a pool can unseat it so you may never even be aware that it’s not sealed. My wife has the 24mm constellation and the crown is very easy to pull out. I can understand your frustration on the WR rating change and the perception that 10bar should provide some protection but the reality is that wr is measured in a controlled environment and we clearly do not operate in a controlled environment. Best to take it off when bathing or swimming.

3. Helsbels May 5, 2019

Thanks for your response - I think one of the thing she I am very frustrated about is that I spent several hours at the shop discussing my needs end this is what they recommended - if this watch is not up to the job of being suitable for constant wear then that should not be what it was sold as . My crown is very stiff and since the first incident I constantly check it - as an engineer myself my opinion is that this is a definite design flaw and was wondering if anyone on here knew why the we rating had been downgraded on the constellations ? Do not declare something is fit for purpose under certain circumstances and then say that you need to remove on bathing and swimming just to be sure - I could claim anything as an engineer using that methodology and just as the caveat that it will work but don’t try it !! Thanks for your response though - I am just cross about the whole situation !

4. 124watchfan May 5, 2019

No design flaw and I’m sure that it was originally tested to 10bar. As u are an engineer I’m sure you know that tests are meant to certify the product to a standard. My neighbor had a strap for towing rated to xxpounds of force but when we used it it rubbed against some jagged metal and ripped apart while we were towing something. The constellation does not have crown guards this is not a design flaw but does expose the crown to more opportunities to be forced away from the case. I understand your frustration but the only experience I can offer is my wife’s watch. The reality is I’ve never seen anyone complain about the wr of a woman’s watch and I’ve been on watch forums for over 15 years.

connieseamaster and Helsbels like this.
  5. Canuck May 5, 2019

I was caught in a rain storm 52 years ago, and the watch I was wearing, leaked. That is the last time I had a watch leak. I simply don’t wear a watch when near water anywhere other than the sink, at home. I have worn Rolex Oysters a lot over 50 years, and I don’t even wear those in water. One thing is certain. Most watches that start out water resistant (not waterproof), will eventually leak when worn in water. Don’t wear your Omega in water. Simple as that. It was probably water resistant when you bought it. If the shop that sold it was guilty of one thing, it is that they didn’t advise you that leaks can develop!

6. Helsbels May 5, 2019

Thanks - but it was on 5 months old when it leaked - that seems very soon to have developed anything ? Surely you cannot day something is water resistant if it deteriorated that quickly ? I am just trying to get some suggestions to argue my case with the shop as it is too late now to not wear in water !!

7. bz0123 May 5, 2019

I think this is excessive. If it is designed for water (screw-down crown is a must) and you get it checked regularly, you should be able to use a water-resistant watch in the water. Many of these watches are designed as dive watches or for boating.

A Constellation is, however, not one these watches.

8. Donn Chambers May 5, 2019

I would also be frustrated, since you trusted that the salesperson would recommend the best watch for you based on your criteria and not to make them the most money.

I would have recommended a ladies quartz Aqua Terra — that have a higher water resistance (150m) and more importantly a screw-down crown.

I’m afraid you are either going to have to enjoy your Constellation away from the water, or speak to the manager of the store and try to work out a deal where you can trade your Constellation for an Aqua Terra — I doubt they’d do an outright exchange and you might have to pay some extra, but it’s worth complaining that the salesperson did not sell you the watch you wanted.

Good luck.

PS — my wife loves her Aqua Terra and swims with it all the time. She hasn’t had any problems with it except the battery dying a month after we bought it. But the dealer replaced that for free.

Helsbels likes this.
  9. Helsbels May 5, 2019

Thankyou that’s is really helpful as this is the plan I have been thinking of - just wasn’t sure which watch to consider as a replacement

10. Canuck May 5, 2019

Things that are for sure in life. Death, taxes, and your water resistant watch is highly unlikely to remain water resistant, forever. You were sold a water resistant watch. It was water resistant when you left the store, but it leaked 5 months later. End of story.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 6, 2019

What is the reference number of the watch in question?

Cheers, Al

12. boraxman May 6, 2019

Sounds like the sales person dropped the ball