Forums Latest Members
  1. ErnsterO Feb 1, 2019

My Grandfather recently passed away and I received his vintage omega. I've already spent some time looking at the forums only to realize I still haven't a clue. I have not tried opening it yet but I may if I need to find more info on it. To me this watch is priceless and will sit next to my dad's Rolex that I also recently inherited, but an approximate $$ would be nice for future service and just to know that I'm not being ripped off by any future service fees. It is a manual wind and after decades of not being used it still wound and started right up. I didn't realize this was bad until I read the forums so I will not be using it again until it's properly cleaned and lubed. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

15490712644901078872880.jpg 15490712786841569067080.jpg 1549071320530130929099.jpg 15490713588852080474812.jpg
    89-0 and superfly like this.
  2. Texas Toast Feb 1, 2019

Try searching on "Omega Crosshair Dial" and maybe toss in "Subsidiary Seconds" - might get you in the neighborhood. Perhaps hidden in pictures but don't see a Swiss Made marking or similar around the 6:00 position. Dial might be refinished but not an expert and basic info like model/reference on case back and serial number on movement are inside once you are able to have it opened. Looks to be a snap back case.

Not a clue on value but knowing specifics of your watch and then factoring in condition is the first step to finding out. Service fees often aren't proportional to watch value in my experience; to a degree the work to fix a $100 and $1000 watch can be similar.

Better opinions may follow. Condolences on your family's loss but good luck and nice to have the memory of your grandfather in a watch you can enjoy.

superfly and ErnsterO like this.
  3. ErnsterO Feb 1, 2019

20190201_175723.jpg 20190201_175730.jpg

superfly likes this.
  4. ErnsterO Feb 1, 2019

I removed the back and saw what looks like a copper movement, 17 jewels as well as a serial # 16936912. On the back inside of the case it says BR-4-21, as well as K9005. If this information helps at all. Thank you for the response as well as your condolences. My Tata will be missed.

5. ErnsterO Feb 1, 2019

I found an old reference chart and from what I can tell from the numbers is The BR is the metal code of yellow gold, the 4 is a Gents jewelry bracelet watch, 2 is mechanical winding, 1 is non water resistance. Also the serial number dates it to 1958 which is about the time we can figure he purchased it. I would love to hear if I'm at all accurate from all who have experience though. Thanks in advance.

6. ErnsterO Feb 2, 2019

Also is it strange that the case is not stamped with the Iomega triangle? It has some numbers etched on it but not the triangle immseeing on many of the other 30mm vintage watch cases. Thanks

7. TNTwatch Feb 2, 2019

That's pretty much the best info that may be available for this particular watch. Case style and case back info indicate a custom case like a US made one, instead of Omega made. Total value would be the value of gold weight plus about $500 - $1000.

Can you retake a picture of the inside case back without flash?

8. aprax Feb 2, 2019

It's near impossible to determine from the picture you posted, but I think those are watchmaker's marks that have been scratched into the case back. They have no meaning whatsoever (to anyone besides the watchmaker). Try to find a hallmark someplace on the watch.

9. ErnsterO Feb 2, 2019

Those marks Ste very fifgicult to see even in person. You have to hold the watch back at a strange angle to the light in order to see the scratch marks. So I didn't think it made much difference Flash and no flash are almost invisible. What is a Hallmark and where might I find that? Thank you very much

10. TNTwatch Feb 2, 2019

Without flash will be very much different from with flash, especially taken in bright natural light, like next to a big window. You'd also be surprised to know a camera can see much more than your eyes.

It's ok if you don't want to make any clearer pictures. Not much else can be said about your watch, except to maybe be certain that the case was not an Omega made, and if there are any trustable gold markings somewhere.

11. ErnsterO Feb 2, 2019

20190202_105302.jpg 20190202_105310.jpg 20190202_105325.jpg 20190202_105332.jpg 20190202_105359.jpg 20190202_105430.jpg
    superfly likes this.
  12. ErnsterO Feb 2, 2019

You where correct in how much easier it is to see with natural light, without a flash, and in an actual picture. Thanks for the insight and any and all information. Cheers

TNTwatch likes this.
  13. aprax Feb 2, 2019

A hallmark is mark struck on solid gold watch cases (usually on the inside of case backs, sometimes on the back of the lugs or on the side of the watch, rarely (with Omega watches) on the outside of the case back, to certify the fineness of the metal. Swiss made cases all bear one. If your watch has been cased in the US, as @TNTwatch has said, and I think he's probably correct, you might see a stamp saying "14K" or "18K".

14. Sherbie Feb 2, 2019

Is your bracelet all solid 18k gold (.75) or is it just the clasp?

15. jimmyd13 Feb 2, 2019

The .750 on the bracelet clasp tells you that the bracelet is 18ct gold. I don't see any marks on the case but I'm sure there's one somewhere (you don't put an 18ct bracelet on a rolled gold case). You're looking at high three figures as scrap metal.

16. François Pépin Feb 2, 2019

As there is no hallmark on the back, it is not Swiss made, nor English, US or French made. Maybe a South American case.

The 750 on the band clasp would mean 18k gold. But to be sure I would prefer that be tested by a jeweler.

17. ErnsterO Feb 2, 2019

I want to start by saying thank you to everyone who viewed and commented on this post. I just left a local jeweler who found the Hallmark on the backside of the case, the outer part. He said it was very worn and difficult to see, however from his experience everything looked. Correct as well as Omega correct. He had several vintage omegas for sale in his shop. He said the marks that were scratched into the case underneath we're more than likely a jewelers mark from its last service. He mentioned Jewelers will normally only warranty the work they perform so they leave marks like this from time to time so they know what work they did specifically. He believes the BR to be initials which just so happened to be my grandfather's initials as well as the 481 scratched into it to be possibly the service date of April 81. It's being sent out to be cleaned and lubed at a cost of around $200. He mentioned being 18 karat gold it's worth quite a bit in weight however for resale not too much. I find that hard to believe only because he is selling them they're starting at 700. He seemed very knowledgeable as well as his shop having been here for 30 years so I have my fingers crossed when the estimate comes back since it is running it shouldn't cost much more to service. Again thanks for any and all the information or insights you all might have greatly appreciate it.

superfly, aprax and TNTwatch like this.
  18. François Pépin Feb 2, 2019

Which hallmark is it? If it is only a "18K" could be a South American case. That could explain the low resale value estimate, as these case are much less collectible. But still, a real solid gold case and bracelet would be worth something! In particular with this kind of movement (30 series).

19. ErnsterO Feb 2, 2019

I didn't get to see, but I did see it last night. It was a very faint triangle and I wasn't able to make it out. He said when it comes back it will be more visible since it will be cleaned and polished. I guess we'll have to wait a couple weeks to find out. I'll post some more picks as soon as I get it back.

20. François Pépin Feb 2, 2019

OK. But I cannot figure how polishing the case would make the hallmark more visible! I guess it will rather erase it a little more.

superfly and Dan S like this.