Forums Latest Members
  1. relojito Jan 2, 2014

It was my father-in-law wrist watch; I remember seeing him wearing and in good working order. My wife brought it with her, among other things, after his passing. It has been stack in a drawer in our house for the last 20 years or so. It is not running now. It is thought that it was owned initially by his father.
    I know very little about it, except that it has been tested as 18K gold (case, wristband and buckle). There are no markings in the back. Dial is a pale gold color with the Omega name and symbol and the words Speedmaster Professional. At the bottom, the words “Swiss Made” can be seen at a slight angle. There is small sphere for the seconds.
    Any assistance as to what year, type, model, etc. the wristwatch might be, will be greatly appreciated. Also, any ideas as to its possible value and, whether it would be worth having it repaired/serviced, as well as any good places to have that done in the New York City/Westchester area.
    I probably should open it up and look for the serial number or other markings and take picture of the movement but, I do not want to cause any damage. If any of you tell me about the correct way of doing it, I may attempt it.
    In general, any advice/opinion will be greatly appreciated!

photo(8).JPG

Front with Band.jpg

Back.JPG Wrist watch.JPG

Face Close_Up.JPG Face Close_Up.JPG
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 2, 2014

Based on the dial style and hands, I'd say it was from the late 1940's to early 1950's. Unfortunately, the dial on this watch has been refinished incorrectly. The Speedmaster model wasn't introduced until 1957 and is generally found as a chronograph with integrated stopwatch.

The crown is also incorrect. It should be a matching gold tone with an Omega logo in the center.

The movement on your watch is a manual wind and likely is one of the famous 30mm family. Here is a general outline of the movements and the dates produced:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Omega_265

In order to give you more information, you will need to see a qualified watchmaker to remove the back cover and take a picture of the inside and the movement.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

relojito likes this.
  3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 2, 2014

As mentioned above, you have a redialed watch. Obviously it has sentimental value, but perhaps it could be brought back to its original looks. Once you have the back cover removed have the watchmaker capture the numbers on the movement and inside the case back. This will allow you to search for examples with original dials and get an idea of what it originally looked like. Once you have that you could probably get it refinished to look like the original.

4. relojito Jan 2, 2014

Thank you very much for the explanations.

Late 40s or early 50s sounds write for what it is assumed of its history.

Maybe in the 60s or 70s someone intended to “modernize” it after the success of the “moon watch”.

Does it look like an entirely new dial was installed or it just was refinished with the new markings?

I’ll try to get it opened to get more details.

Assuming that a new dial was installed, it still has some value as an antique watch? Is it worth it to search for the original dial and have it re-installed? The value in just the gold and as a very fine gold wrist watch band is substantial. What about the case and the movement assuming that it is vintage Omega?

Again, many thanks for any help that you may be able to provide.

5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 2, 2014

This is not a new dial. It was either redialed and then had the text added or simply had text added to the original. In any case it was very poorly done. Regardless it still has value. Replacing with an original dial might prove difficult, however getting the dial refinished correctly would add value to the watch.

6. relojito Jan 3, 2014

Thank you very much for your help. You were right on the ball.

The movement is exactly like the one shown in the link that you had provided.

the Serial No. : 10368338. I have been looking at some tables and, it appears that correspond to somewhere between 1944 and 1946

Any help narrowing down the model and information on sites where I can look at how the original dial may have look like will be very much appreciated.

Again, thank you, everyone has been helpful.

Movement 15 jewels.jpg

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 3, 2014

The movement is a cal. 30T2, also called the cal. 262. There should be "30T2" engraved under the balance wheel.

Your watch doesn't have a model name. There may be a four digit number on the inside of the caseback. If so, you can look here:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database

If there is only an 8 digit number, the above site isn't going to work for you. Omega didn't put the case reference numbers on watches until the 1940's and even then, not on all models.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 3, 2014

Just imagine your dial without the Speedmaster PROFESSIONAL, that's pretty much how your dial probably looked before it was refinished incorrectly, I don't think the dial has been replaced. Just having it correctly refinished will enhance your watch considerably.

Can you give us a photo of the inside of the case back?