Forums Latest Members
  1. cmryanuk Oct 12, 2014

Hi, please can anyone help to identify this watch. We recently bought it and all we know is that it was given to the wife of the Mayor of Crawley in the mid 1960s.

The model number does not feature in Omega's database. It is 611.105. It has a cal 620 movement.

photos are on the blogspot as suggested

http://whatisouromegawatch.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/blog-post.html

2. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 12, 2014

Hi.
    Nice Omega Saphette!
    Worth it's weight in gold and unfortunately not much more.
    Ladies waches are not collected in the same way as gents.
    Cheers!

3. cmryanuk Oct 12, 2014

Thanks for the reply. Curious why it's not on their database, and from looking at the saphette links online they had a faceted metal bezel and this one has diamonds and 18k gold bracelet and case. Are you sure about this?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 12, 2014

I don't think you are reading the numbers correctly. Based on this photo from your blog, the first three digits are "811", not "611":

[​IMG]

That is for sure the original band, as the "OWC" stands for Omega Watch Co. I think that the hallmarks below it look British, but they may have stamped in Switzerland for the UK market. With ladies watches, everything was very country specific and very few of each reference were made. Many times, these are identified by the optional bracelet rather than the numbers inside the case back.

I'm not surprised that there is no listing in the Omega database. There were hundreds of case styles made in any particular year. The database has only a very small fraction of these. This one is close, but there is no picture:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database?ref=15341

Unfortunately, young women today much prefer to wear men's watches if they wear one at all. So there is not a whole lot of value here outside of the gold.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa