Forums Latest Members

Please help a girl with vintage Omega watch question. Thanks!

1. Julia_Holter Jul 20, 2013

Hi, I'm totally new to this forum and I seriously lack any knowledge about vintage watches...so I need help! My boyfriend is into vintage watches and I thought I'd surprise him with something that he doesn't have in his collection--a nice looking vintage Omega watch. This one caught my eye but it's pretty rough; I'd have to have it restored/repaired. Here's what I know about the watch. Apparently it was manufactured in 1950. The serial number is 1205.46.99. I don't know the caliber (cal. 342 maybe?). 17 Jewels, stainless steel case (the case measures 35mm). It's a "bumper type" automatic.

So to get this watch up and running and looking good, the self-winding mechanism needs to be replaced, it needs a new bezel and of course it needs to be thoroughly cleaned. I can have this done for $200-$250 here in Los Angeles.

I can purchase the watch for $150. My question is fairly obvious, vintage Omega aficionados! Is $150 a fair price to pay considering all the repairs that have to be done? Is this watch very rare, or at least thought highly of. Or is it a stinker! ;-)

Any thoughts and knowledge about this watch is VERY MUCH appreciated!!!

p.s. Sorry for the crummy pics...it's the best I could do!

281101510851_OMEGA_1.JPG 281101510851_OMEGA_2.JPG 281101510851_OMEGA_3.JPG

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 20, 2013

Firstly, welcome!

I'd steer clear of that watch. The dial looks repainted, and most collectors avoid repainted dials. It is always a difficult business buying a vintage watch for others, as there are so many out there and collector's tastes can be so individual. What else does e have in his collection? What brands/styles does he usually go for?

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 20, 2013

Case also looks like it has some significant pitting, so I'd look for a better example. Might be a little tough to find a bezel as well.

4. Julia_Holter Jul 20, 2013

Thanks for the greetings CanberraOmega! So really, you think it's been repainted? I don't want that. I know it's best (usually, always) to invest in un-retouched dials/watches. I've also been warned about all the "Frankenstein" Omegas the disreputable dealers try to pawn off. So, what makes you believe that this one has been re-painted? I'm sorry I don't have better pics. The watch is actually in a shop in Denver, Colorado.
    To answer your question, my BF is selling all his dopey/huge/ugly (!) modern watches and going with more refined mid-century watches. He wears Lemania 105 dress watch and a Universal Geneve tank watch (black dial) the most. He also wants to get a Breitling, I think.

5. Julia_Holter Jul 20, 2013

Hi kyle L!
    Yep, it's pitted pretty good as I remember it. I thought the bezel would cover most of it up though. I don't think my BF would mind the "vintage/worn in" look as long as it's within reason!

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 20, 2013

I'd push the budget to $500-600 for a watch that isn't junk to begin with, that way if you put any money into it down the track its worth it (Working on the assumption that he's a good boyfriend and that you do like him a fair bit ;) ). For that you get a Calibre 750/752 Seamaster which is a dramatically better watch.

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 20, 2013

We have lots of UG fans here, so hopefully they will chime in. If he is a UG fan, is there a definitive book/history of UG you could get him?

I didn't know UG did tanks. Photos?

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 20, 2013

Oh, forgot to say. The reason I think it is a redial is how high the "Swiss made" is. It is generally much lower.

9. Julia_Holter Jul 20, 2013

Hi dsio!
    I really appreciate your thoughts. Maybe I'll save up for X-mas and look for a higher quality/caliber vintage Omega, and do something else for his birthday in September. Now I've got to research the 750/752 Seamaster...I'm excited!

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 20, 2013

I think that original watch has a missing bezel as well, hence why it looks so pitted.

This is what a 750/752 Seamaster looks like,

[​IMG]

11. Julia_Holter Jul 20, 2013

@ dsio
    Yes, you're right, the watch I posted is missing a bezel!
    Wow, that Seamaster is very classy. I could see my BF wearing that for sure!

12. Julia_Holter Jul 20, 2013

@ CanberraOmega
    I'll try to get a pic of the UG tank soon! It's quite small as I remember it and has Roman numerals/markers with sub-seconds as well. I think he bought it on an Ebay auction.

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 20, 2013

The 750/752s are very nice. A forum favourite. Search for "sparkly" in the forum an you will find heaps. Comes either with a gold sparkly dial or a silver coloured sparkly dial. You can also get chronometer rated versions.

14. Julia_Holter Jul 21, 2013

@ CanberraOmega
    Another vote for the 750/752 caliber...a pattern is emerging! Is it true that I could find something in, at minimum, "very good" condition in the $500-600 range?

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 21, 2013

There's two grades of that model watch, a Calibre 751 chronometer which is a bit more expensive, and a 750/752 non chronometer which is possible in that price range.

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 21, 2013

G'day Julia and welcome to the nuthouse.

Firstly, as you have been well advised, run away from that first Omega, it's a money pit, there are much better choices (especially in the US of A).

I would also suggest that you look at other vintage Swiss brands that aren't as sought after as Omega but are just as attractive and match the quality levels of Omega etc.

If you budget is tight at the moment, brands like vintage Enicar, Roamer, Jaquet Droz etc offer very nice watches if you can catch one.

For example, here's a nice Enicar I got recently for less than $120.

Best of Luck with your quest (Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, your boyfriend is one lucky guy!)

IMG_0077.JPG

17. Julia_Holter Jul 21, 2013

@ JimInOz
    First, thanks for the kind words...I'm blushing! Your Enicar is gorgeous, great strap too. I know there are some terrific less-well-known watches out there that give you a great bang for your buck, I just think my BF has his heart set on an Omega. I'm sorta on a quest to find a good one, but working within a budget :-(
    Also, thank you for your advice re: the watch I posted. I actually liked it a lot, and liked the idea having it restored, but maybe it's not worth it?!

18. Julia_Holter Jul 21, 2013

@ dsio
    Cool, just did some research re: chronometer rating. Good to know!

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 21, 2013

Do search in our sales section http://omegaforums.net/forums/watches-for-sale/ and vintage recommendation http://omegaforums.net/threads/recommended-vintage-omega-watches-on-ebay-not-inquiries.1790/page-58 to find good offers. Of course eBay has lots of offer,too, but require more due diligence.

Remember to discuss with expert members in here before pulling the trigger. You can send PM to the mods if you want to have a more discreet advice. (yes there are lurkers here that may snatch your ebay bid if you show your interest too eagerly ...........:cautious:.....:p )

20. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 21, 2013

Here is a close up of the dial from a 750 so you can tell just how easy they are to spot.

Sparkly.jpg