Forums Latest Members

Please give me suggestion on Horotec case opener MSA 07.369

1. No Mercy Nov 29, 2017

Im going to upgrade from Bergeon 5700 to this Horotec MSA 07.369 case opener set:
    [​IMG]

Ofrei called them Bentley of all screw-back case openers. Any fellows here already used Horotec case opener can give me opinion?

2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Nov 29, 2017

Never used one, and probably never will, but would appear to be a step up from the "promaster method"

:rolleyes:

No Mercy and BenBagbag like this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 29, 2017

How exactly is this an "upgrade" from the 5700?

4. No Mercy Nov 29, 2017

Im not sure, just think of.
    So it is better to stick with the Bergeon 5700 :D

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 29, 2017

Okay I'll ask another way...is there a particular shortcoming that you have found with the 5700 that you believe this Horotec opener will solve?

I'm all for getting the best tools, but as a user of the 5700 for years I have never found it unable to open a case for me, and if used properly, it's almost impossible to scratch a case back. The only positive thing I see with the Horotec opener is that it comes with a lot of dies, where the 5700 did not. But if you need specific dies for the 5700, they are readily available. For most watches I use the urethane friction dies, but I also have specific dies for Omega, Rolex, Panerai, etc. as needed. Note that some of the dies I use are Horotec branded.

In terms of negative things, it's not clear if there is a threaded collar on the main vertical post like the 5700 has, but if not I would not want this opener. Also, having to tie up both hands to operate it is not something I would want.

It's your money, but it's clear you are under the impression this opener is somehow better, so I was just curious why you think so. If it's solely based on what Otto Frei has to say about it being the "Bently" of openers, keep in mind they are in business to sell stuff...

Cheers, Al

No Mercy likes this.
  6. No Mercy Nov 30, 2017

Thank you Archer, I admire your knowledge & experience, especially your willing to share it with other members.
    Have a nice day,