Forums Latest Members

Please Evaluate This Longines

1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 23, 2016

[​IMG]

I was glad to get this Longines back from my local watchmaker this afternoon. He's as "local" as 70 miles away can be. I overloaded him with watches a couple years ago and he's had this one as long as I've been a member of Omega Forums. He's a West Texas rancher who also owns a clock shop and does repairs in his spare time.

This Longines was "wild caught" at a car boot sale in Wakefield, West Yorkshire in the summer of 1994. I believe the watch's movement is the 27M. It features a guilloché dial and an 18kt rose gold case, 35mm in diameter without the crown. The serial number appears to date the watch to 1948.

It's one of my earlier vintage watch acquisitions and been a particular favorite of mine, both because of its styling and as a reminder of the fun of gathering it in on that trip. I can't capture the hue of the gold nor the reflective nature of the highly polished rose gold markers, hands, and logo with the camera and lighting available to me indoors this evening. In one photo, the camera did capture twin scratches on the crystal that I never before realized were there.

[​IMG]

I've long wondered if the dial was refinished. Omega Forums makes me even more aware of refinished dials. I can't judge this one. The surface isn't perfect and the camera conceals a bit. The tiny rose gold minute dot markers are all distinct and not filled in. I don't know if the sharp minute dots are indicative of originality though.

[​IMG]

I would appreciate your assessment of this Longines. I'll still love it even if the dial's been redone, the crown is incorrect, or the movement is wrong for the case. I enjoy dress watches best, love the gold ones, and am keen on rose gold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ConElPueblo and arkstfan like this.
  2. ulackfocus Jan 24, 2016

Looks like it is a redial.

3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 24, 2016

Being very much of a novice as far as redial detection I'll abstain on that question-- but regardless, I find it quite beautiful.
    (and I must admit I'm not usually into 1950s and 1960s dress watches). I really like the texture of the dial, the shape and rose color of the case and the indexes.
    If you bought it in 1994 on a country road, I suppose it must have been quite inexpensive in today's terms -- so enjoy it and wear it in good health!

4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 24, 2016

Me too Syrte. One gets much better over time after following posts here on the Forum but I still feel uncertain about watches, especially photos of watches.

What is it that indicates a redial to the expert?

5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 24, 2016

Using the numbers found on the inside of the case back I just found this similar example online ... well the case is the same. Doesn't help in determining a dial's originality though as its dial appears to be refinished.

http://www.poshtime.com/bigpic-arc.php?id=3017.008

[​IMG]

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 24, 2016

If it wasn't for the sub-second hand and cross hairs I'd think it was original.

It's still a very nice dress watch though.

7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 24, 2016

Thanks!

Was wondering what y'all were seeing. So the inked cross hairs aren't correct?

The sub-second hand is wrong as well? It appears black in the photos but is blued. I noticed the sub-second hand on the black-dialed one is similar in shape but longer. Who knows if that second hand is correct though.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 24, 2016

Not saying they aren't correct, but I would have expected a gold hand of longer length, or shorter cross hairs. Only my unqualified thoughts on the dial.

I bet you can live with it though :D

9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 26, 2016

In all logic the sub second hand should be the same color as the other hands and index.
    As for the rest, at least I'd say the font on the word "swiss" at 6 looks sloppy, with ink too thick.