Forums Latest Members
  1. msgeorgieshaw May 11, 2013

A little while ago I posted a query on a Constellation that I wasn't sure about - only to learn from you guys that it was a Caliber 1001 - dodged a bullet there.

So I added to my list that it must have a reliable Caliber - 561/565 if possible and preferably not a re-done dial. I came across this one and it was a level of attraction that didn't seem healthy! I've had it for 3 days now and can't take my eyes off it and have to keep saying to myself - "it's just watch" but it's not lessening the infatuation. Whilst looking on the web about 168.004 I came across info about the consecutive 100,000 movements - not super important to me (although if it is one of them it's a nice piece of added history) more so that having only bought watches so far that don't keep time (Eterna-matic and Helbros - don't judge me) just that this keeps such good time, so far is pretty exciting to me!

After all those pros - now for the cons - the Seconds hand seems to be an odd colour and I'm not sure is it's long enough, the 9 marker/onyx insert isn't in place, no idea how much of the dial has been redone but there are enough little black marks for me to hope it hasn't been entirely repainted and not sure if it fails the MOY test?

Soo I'm ready, I think, to hear your verdicts on the purchase. Look forward to learning some more!

photo 1.PNG photo 2.PNG photo 3.PNG photo.PNG

photo 4.JPG
  2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 11, 2013

The dial has definitely been refinished and the case has been polished quite a bit - the lug edges are soft and no longer sharp. Movement looks ok.

3. msgeorgieshaw May 11, 2013

Many thanks MSN - I know this is probably very obvious to you at a first glance but what gives away the refinishing? I don't doubt that it has been refinished I just don't know how to quantify it myself.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 11, 2013

Well for starters, the word constellation isn't even centered properly. And the fonts of the lettering are just wrong.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 11, 2013

And a comparison picture I think will make things clearer. Here is one of mine:

[​IMG]

6. msgeorgieshaw May 11, 2013

Ouch! You reckon it's candidate for the 'worst redial thread'? Yours is a beautiful watch, thanks for posting it so I could see.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 11, 2013

No, not even close. There was at least some attempt, although not particularly well executed, to bring it back to an original configuration.

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 11, 2013

Don't beat yourself up. We've all made mistakes. Can you get your money back?

9. msgeorgieshaw May 11, 2013

I know this will akin to blasphemy on this forum - but I don't want my money back : )

I bought it knowing the dial had been 'refinished' I just couldn't judge to what extent. I was fearful of what else I wasn't aware of - it seems no matter how much I've read of Desmond's blog/essays and through the forums - I've got so much to learn! I only bid up to what I was okay with losing - if it did turn out to be some form of fake/franken watch. But I confess I was a bit too smitten to want to know beforehand. I'm sure over time I'll look back at this in horror as to how I could possibly want to keep a watch that's not original - it's like the search for The Watch is a never ending one....this is ridiculously addictive.

10. msgeorgieshaw May 11, 2013

Forgot to ask if there are any recommendations for trusted watchmakers in and around Sydney?

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 12, 2013

Kalmar antiques in QVB has nice, but very very expensive.

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 12, 2013

Don't be too tough to yourself. If you can not return, just enjoy and use that watch. Your watch dial appearance is good, not crappy redial effort. Probably only less than 0.1% of population will know you have refinished dial, and the chance that you will meet in your family, work colleagues and friends environment is very, very low (unless you are in vintage watch business/ watch collector GTG). The famous Omega vintage seamaster black dial in Mad Men series is refinished watch for God sake.
    So cherish and enjoy it rather than worry too much. We will do mistakes eventually during collecting vintage watch. I

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 12, 2013

Yes certainly a high rent place from the times I've been there....pic from our last visit....

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 12, 2013

Oh, yes the place on the top floor. They did have a fair number of Omegas, although no Zeniths to speak of.

15. Wheels May 15, 2013

V&E Sintic in Castlereigh St are very good as well. Less expensive then some but also take a little while.